Potato Salad Kickstarter Closes With $55,000+

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Potato Salad Kickstarter Closes With $55,000+

Zack Danger Brown has a lot of cooking to look forward to.

Last month [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135891-Kickstarter-Jumps-Shark-Potato-Salad-Project-is-a-Go-Update2] intrepid Ohio native Zack Danger Brown captured the attention of the internet with his potato salad Kickstarter. He asked for $10, and figured he'd get maybe $60 from his friends and neighbors, but social media being what it is he soon found himself buried under a ton of money. Today is the last day of his crowdfunding campaign, and at close of play Danger Brown raised $55,492. Still, as his backer parody video shows, he's not overawed by his new responsibility as the champion of potato salad.

He could have had a lot more cash, if he'd sold his soul to the Kickstarter devil. Fame attracts all kinds of unsavoury characters, and at one point his campaign had over $75,000 in its pocket, thanks largely to massive donations from chancers who wanted him to endorse their own Kickstarting efforts. But Danger Brown is pure of heart, though probably not low in cholesterol, and, when rebuffed, the chancers took their long green elsewhere. If you have an hour or so to spare it's worth checking out the Kickstarter comments section [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/324283889/potato-salad/comments], if only to see how quickly spam can spring up when a project becomes successful.

Congrats to Danger Brown! May all his potato salads be tasty.

Source: Kickstarter [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/324283889/potato-salad/?ref=kicktraq]

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
A kick starter about potato salad got 55k? What in the living hell? I don't get the internet sometimes, I really don't.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I'm looking fortward to seeing him say my name as he makes the salad. I sure hope somebody will list the order he pronounces the names in, since otherwise I'll have a loooooong watching in front of me.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Actually, given how viral it went, and how much sheer exposure it ended up getting, I'd say the amount of money he got was...

Small potatoes!

>=D

Queen Michael

Jun 9, 2009
Pyrian said:
Actually, given how viral it went, and how much sheer exposure it ended up getting, I'd say the amount of money he got was...

Small potatoes!

>=D
I tip my hat to you.
Somethingfake said:
A kick starter about potato salad got 55k? What in the living hell? I don't get the internet sometimes, I really don't.
People spend that much collectively on crisps, pizza, smokes and so on every month. Not that weird that they'd want to spend it on providing grub for other people. Danger is going to share his grub, after all.

Queen Michael

Jun 9, 2009
crepesack said:
So what is he going to do with all the extra money? Is he going to donate it?
He's gonna have a huge pizza party where literally everyone's invited.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Queen Michael said:
crepesack said:
He's gonna have a huge pizza party where literally everyone's invited.
I got my invitation in the mail today but thought it a scam. Thanks for validating this! Now it's time to buy my plane ticket.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
I am currently planning to invest three years of my life into a doctorate. But I am having a hard time finding a research scholarship since there are not a lot of them around and the paperwork you have to file for this sort of thing is diabolical.

I am telling you this, because It really stings to see that some guy with a semi-clever kickstarter idea got more money thrown after him than anyone looking to do research.

... Maybe I should start a kickstarter for my doctorate!

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
crepesack said:
What extra money? He has to make potato salad for more than 3,000 people and mail it to them. Not to mention the T-shirts, hats, and various other legally binding obligations he has.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Pyrian said:

Small potatoes!

>=D

Ok I gotta start a pancakes kickstarter. Have you tried my pancakes? I make great pancakes! They're delicious with caramellized bananas, strawberries, cherries, any kind of fruit you want, or just plain syrup! My dad eats his with sausage or wrapped around a hotdog. Yea, pancake kickstarter definitely the way to go.

Frostnatt

Apr 18, 2012
crepesack said:
Taken from the last update on the project.

What are you going to do with all that money????

Ok, this is the big / serious one. I hope you've all made it this far. I got really tired writing all of that, I can only imagine reading it was pretty rough. We are going to contribute a significant portion of the remaining money to the fund at the Columbus Foundation. This will create a permanent fund to help Central Ohio's non-profits end hunger and homelessness. These types of funds gain interest every year and grow over time, so, while our little internet joke will one day be forgotten, the impact will be felt forever.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
crepesack said:
If he can manage to fulfil this its going to cost him tens of thousands of USD, he has got to make huge amounts of potato salad, ship it and make loads of merchandise and a bunch of other time consuming things. He will probably have to get help too, iirc there was something about getting professional chefs in as one of the stretch goals.

If he can manage to get it all together and earn himself a bit of profit he will have earned it, it might just collapse too which is understandable. Its going to be hard for one guy to make industrial amounts of potato salad and get it all shipped.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
One wonders how many lives can be saved if people showed the same enthusiasm towards their fellow man.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Exterminas said:
I am currently planning to invest three years of my life into a doctorate. But I am having a hard time finding a research scholarship since there are not a lot of them around and the paperwork you have to file for this sort of thing is diabolical.

I am telling you this, because It really stings to see that some guy with a semi-clever kickstarter idea got more money thrown after him than anyone looking to do research.

... Maybe I should start a kickstarter for my doctorate!
Clever ideas are what make money. It has always been this way. No matter how stupid the idea is. You should always be striving to think outside the box.

Seraj33

Jun 18, 2012
klaynexas3 said:

I hope his potato salad is as amazing and wonderful as Stamper's was.
That there is on my personal top 5 best videos on youtube.
Stampers acting is just bloody flawless.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
While it's good that he's going to donate some of what's left of the proceeds (after all the vodsels have gotten their whimsical trash) to a good cause.

I'm still ticked off that so many people would donate so much money to a joke.