PS4's "First-Of-Its-Kind" Share Play Feature Launching This Fall

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
PS4's "First-Of-Its-Kind" Share Play Feature Launching This Fall

Sony has revealed that PS4's V2.00 update will include Share Play and new YouTube upload features.

If Sony's GamesCom presentation was any indicator, PlayStation 4 owners are in for some fairly substantial treats in the near future. And while more than a few of these will, of course, come in the way of games, Sony also took time to announce that it will shortly be fulfilling an early promise of the PS4. According to the company, the console's next update (v2.00) will include Share Play.

For the uninitiated, Share Play will give PS4 players the ability to "invite a friend to join your game- even when they don't have a copy of it." The "first-of-its-kind feature" will allow PS4 equipped acquaintances to play with each other in separate locations regardless of whether or not every player owns a copy of the game. Share Play will additionally give players the ability to ask their friends to jump in remotely and take control of a game when they find themselves in a tough spot.

As nifty as that sounds, Sony also confirmed that the v2.00 update will include highly requested upgrades to the console's Share feature such as the ability to upload game footage directly to YouTube. The company wouldn't provide any specific launch date for the update, but did confirm that it will be releasing sometime this fall.

Source: PlayStation Blog

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Either I'm missing something, or there's not much of an appeal to being able to use another persons PS4 from another area to play a game I don't own. If they can't beat a section of a game and need help ...I mean there's easier difficulties. Am I just an anti-social goon or what, I don't know.
This isn't first of it's kind, you can already share games on steam, link accounts and as long as the other person isn't playing that one game, you both can play games on either accounts.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
you mean.... its going to have basic internet functionality.

a better question is.... it didnt have them yet?

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
So it's kinda like the Download Play thing for DS and 3DS, or that one-cartridge link thing for GBA before that.

Just here, it's over the internet. That's pretty cool, I guess. On the topic of single-copy multiplayer, I personally have been wishing that certain non-free Steam games like Left 4 Dead offered the ability to download a free "guest" copy that can't host servers or go online, but can join LAN games.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Strazdas said:

Please explain how I can play a game's local co-op without owning a copy of a game a friend has if we are in different countries with out this feature?

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Uploading footage to Youtube sounds good; it might make it easier for people to do Let's Plays of PS4 games.

As for the other thing, isn't it basically like DS Download Play? I hope so, since that's a pretty useful feature.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
youji itami said:
Strazdas said:

Please explain how I can play a game's local co-op without owning a copy of a game a friend has if we are in different countries with out this feature?
I think escapist rules would not allow me to do that.

However yes, this is probably the feature thats actually unique. youtube video uploads? who doesnt have that stuff?

Devieus

Jul 30, 2014
Was there really such big demand for an easier way to over-saturate YouTube? It's almost as if Facebook addiction spread to the game culture and everyone wants everyone else to know they did a thing everyone else already did.

Sure it's easy to ignore, but that might threaten content creators that are actually worth something, suffocating in the endless void of mediocrity.

Ajarat

Apr 29, 2014
It's like X-Wing vs TIE Fighters included multiplayer disc, except with a whole lot more restrictions, and online-based instead of physical.
Grats on their "groundbreaking" idea though...

Captcha: flat tire

Yea, the whole industry seems to have one.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
youji itami said:
Unsure how it'd be done too (local co-op over the net without a copy) unless Strazdas drops some hints, if its piracy he is talking about than...doesn't really count now does it? Anyway taking control of someone's computer is possible yes through...Is it Remote Control Software? That software that if you punch in the correct details and they on their end give you permission you can take control of their computer's functionality. Used it years back on crappy computers (colleges learning computers) and it didn't seem like it ran all that great to start with, so I couldn't imagine how badly a game would run (but these were crappy computers, and there may be better ways to do it I don't know).

Strazdas said:
youtube video uploads? who doesnt have that stuff?
They have Twitch and Ustream on there already, I've heard you can put it up on youtube but it has some extra hassle involved (I imagine you put the file on an external hard-drive and than upload it to your PC?). I can only assume this'll put Youtube in a position like Twitch and Ustream and cut out that busywork.
I checked for the first time yesterday the twitch/Ustream stuff and it seems a lot of people got it all going quite nicely so they whole thing seems to work well enough. Might actually have a go myself as it'll be so hassle free compared to the recording, editing, and uploading I've done in the past with the videos I've uploaded.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
This could be a good way to get someone to demo a game with a good experience so they will buy it. Though, I would bet some publishers will either disable/limit it or require the purchase of the DLC for both parties if they want to play something that contains DLC.
Infernal Lawyer said:
So, do you have to pre-download the game if you want to play it with a friend? Or stream it?
That's what I'm curious about. Do you have to wait for you buddy to download 10-15 GB before you can start, or will Sony either try to support every multiplayer title for the PS4 or only load select (read: the most recent ones so at least one guy is buying the new stuff) titles onto their steaming servers?
Devieus said:
Was there really such big demand for an easier way to over-saturate YouTube? It's almost as if Facebook addiction spread to the game culture and everyone wants everyone else to know they did a thing everyone else already did.

Sure it's easy to ignore, but that might threaten content creators that are actually worth something, suffocating in the endless void of mediocrity.
Yeah, I'm worried Youtube will allow more content take downs or at least content ID matches, both to free up storage space and to deter chumps from uploading hours of boring, stupid footage of them playing a game that real let's players have already covered ten thousand times over.

This sharing fad is getting ridiculous (Hey, it's like the motion control fad all over again!). It's one thing to upload 30 second to five minute clips of you doing something neat (but not spectacular, almost impossible to replicate events) on the Facebooks, PSNs and Xboxes Lives for your friends to check out, but when you give everyone the ability to upload directly to the biggest video service around, your just asking for dull, possibly silent or annoying players to flood the site with garabage.

I think Youtube and other video sites should be behind the pay wall of a Dazzle, Hauppauge, or other capture hardware (or FRAPS if on PC). That way at least the prospective creators have the drive to try and make something entertaining unlike someone who could post useless junk anywhere until a mod finally stopped them (if they even could). If you did something really awesome like perfectly land a 1080 spiral back flip over a skyscraper in GTA 5 or take out the entire enemy team single handily in an FPS, I'm sure you could find an annoying, tedious way to transfer Twitch/Facebook videos over to your Youtube channel without extra hardware.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
Everytime consoles brag about somthing they doiong and then it just turns out to be somthing pc gamers have beeen enoying for year already....... As if youtube is not already full of endless crap. Hard enough to filter thre the crap

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
So what's the difference with 3DSs Download Play for the Playing without the game part?

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Cool, I guess. But still not a reason for me to buy a PS4, seeing as I don't have any PS4 owning friends and I don't upload to YouTube.

Call me when you get Heavy Rain 2 or Thatgamecompany makes a game for it or something along those lines Sony.

Devieus said:

That's why the popularity system is in place. The more views, likes, favourites, comments, and possibly subscribers a channel/video has the more likely you are to see it above videos with 3 views and 0 likes and maybe 1 comment saying how shit someones 800th episode of Let's Play Minecraft was.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Snotnarok said:
This isn't first of it's kind, you can already share games on steam, link accounts and as long as the other person isn't playing that one game, you both can play games on either accounts.
Note my emphasis. This specifically (exclusively?) works for games that the owner is already playing. And if Steam wants to launch a living room machine to compete with consoles, they'd better be prepared to offer that as well.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Wouldnt companies lose a lot of money in sales if people bought one game and had their friend play with them via this function. For instance, when people play Cod, does that mean they only need one copy to play two player online? Or is this feature limited depending on whatever developers allow?

LaochEire

Mar 9, 2010
It's actually a better feature than you think. Firstly, the person who doesn't own the game does not have to download it. They can jump into your game as you'll be streaming it. Secondly, it's a cool way for your friend to try a game. It's like gaming on the couch. Your friend asks hey, you're playing The Last of Us on PS4, what's it like? And you can simply say, here, give it a go yourself. He can jump in and play it while you watch and he may like it and buy it.

Kinda nifty I think.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Steve the Pocket said:
Snotnarok said:
Note my emphasis. This specifically (exclusively?) works for games that the owner is already playing. And if Steam wants to launch a living room machine to compete with consoles, they'd better be prepared to offer that as well.
Wait what? I'm not seeing the comparison here:

PS4: Play game the user is playing, that's the 1 game they get.

Steam: Play any game on any account linked with yours as long as it's not one the owner is currently playing. If my friend has 200 games and he's playing 1 of them I can access the rest of his 199 games.
This is you download, install and play it at your leisure.