The Awesomeness of Awesome Mix #1 Can't Be Stopped

harpere

May 20, 2014
The Awesomeness of Awesome Mix #1 Can't Be Stopped

Peter Quill's personal mix tape of classic hits from Guardians of the Galaxy is #1 on the Billboard charts.

Sure, we knew that Awesome Mix #1 made for an awesome musical backdrop to the top of the Billboard charts this week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/guardians%20of%20the%20galaxy]. Awesomeness aside, this makes the mix the first album made up entirely of previously released songs to ever hit #1, which makes for another feather in director James Gunn's cap.

And Gunn seems pretty pleased with himself [https://www.facebook.com/jgunn/posts/10152629314884570], telling fans "All those days as a child I spent locked in a room listening to AM radio were not wasted!" Though he also admits that the success of Guardians' mix-tape style soundtrack means we're likely to see a flood of imitators... which might not be such a good thing. "Somewhere in a boardroom right now a movie executive is trying to give a film that's not testing well the 'Guardians soundtrack treatment but with a new twist' - say, nineties grunge hits over a buddy action comedy," which he says we aren't likely to thank him for.

Still, we'll enjoy the afterglow of the Awesome Mix while we can... and look forward to Awesome Mix #2.

Source: io9 [http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/6214496/guardians-of-the-galaxy-soundtrack-no-1-billboard-200]

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Not surprising, the track list is stacked with great songs. The fact it's #1 just means 'kids these days' do still know what good music is, despite the shlock that's 'popular'

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
I wonder how different the sound track would be if Star Lord was Black, we'd here a song from Trouble man again, i'm sure :p

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I have been listening to this album non-stop for the past three days, so I am pleased with this news.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Oh man, Guardians of the Galaxy is going to be the dawn of the era of TERRIBLE movie soundtracks.

YOU BLEW IT UP! DAMN YOU!

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
JaceArveduin said:
So... What's on it? Haven't had the chance to see it, and I can't seem to find the list...
Ah, and here you are, found in a Marvel article

1. Hooked on a Feeling Performed by Blue Swede
2. Go All the Way Performed by Raspberries
3. Spirit in the Sky* Performed by Norman Greenbaum
4. Moonage Daydream Performed by David Bowie
5. Fooled Around and Fell in Love Performed by Elvin Bishop
6. I'm Not in Love Performed by 10cc
7. I Want You Back Performed by Jackson 5
8. Come and Get Your Love Performed by Redbone
9. Cherry Bomb Performed by The Runaways
10. Escape (The Piña Colada Song) Performed by Rupert Holmes
11. O-O-H Child Performed by The Five Stairsteps
12. Ain't No Mountain High Enough Performed by Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
*Not in film

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
Anyone else want this on an actual cassette tape? I really wish they would release one, cause it'd be about as good to me as a CD would be...

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Kameburger said:
Anyone else want this on an actual cassette tape? I really wish they would release one, cause it'd be about as good to me as a CD would be...
They're releasing a vinyl soon...

I'm really happy about this news though. It gives me faith in humanity again.

Also, Guardians of the Galaxy may be one of the best uses of a licensed soundtrack I've ever seen. The way the music actually has a very important role in the film was inspired.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
Gxas said:
JaceArveduin said:
So... What's on it? Haven't had the chance to see it, and I can't seem to find the list...

*Not in film
Thank you Mr. Awesome Guy. Now I shall maybe eventually buy this!

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Kameburger said:
I've heard that they're actually going to release it on cassette, but I saw someone say that on Facebook, so take that with several grains of salt.

Gxas said:
JaceArveduin said:

*Not in film
Gotta give the whole thing a listen to soon, thanks!

EDIT: This guy made it all in a nice convenient playlist to listen to. They even made it so that the spools move!
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpRjkOHBe_TgmznCle__jWDhoV4aFgCjw

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
"Nineties grunge hits over a buddy action comedy, which he says we aren't likely to thank him for."

...I would be okay with this.

Also, word limit, so something something Guardians of the Galaxy, something something great music.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
I admit I didn't really like the Awesome Mix in Guardians of The Galaxy. Excellent movie but the music not so much. I like 60's and 70's music but I prefer Classic Rock like Cream, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Tom Petty, ETC.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I remember watching the movie and thinking "Aw man, everyone except me is going to LOVE the soundtrack that gets released."

There ya go.

And say what you want about crappy knock-off attempts at doing the same thing, but if some crappy movie is released with 90s Ambient Electronica Classics as a separate soundtrack, I will be all over that.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
harpere said:
Though he also admits that the success of Guardians' mix-tape style soundtrack means we're likely to see a flood of imitators... which might not be such a good thing. "Somewhere in a boardroom right now a movie executive is trying to give a film that's not testing well the 'Guardians soundtrack treatment but with a new twist' - say, nineties grunge hits over a buddy action comedy," which he says we aren't likely to thank him for.
I'm not exactly going to begrudge him for it, either. Hollywood is practically defined by poorly recycling ideas by using them in ways that don't work because the people making the movie couldn't be bothered to consider why the idea worked in the format that it did.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I admit, I have been wanting to buy it, well adding to my list of stuff I want to buy (the 1987 TNMT is on the list recently). I will be watching the film again next week so I get another chance to listen to the tracks again (can't be bother tracking all the individual track on Youtube).

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
I've heard these songs in so many other movies the effect here isn't the same for me.