273: Confessions of a GameStop Employee - Part One

Bojinglez

Feb 13, 2010
Well I really don't mind if I bought a game that had been gutted, but I can understand why people would get upset. I'm sure some people collect the stuff, or sell them like 10 years later, and if the game isn't sealed then I'm sure it takes away from the overall value.

I wish it was that easy to get a job here. Nobody here can get jobs at any place.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
mjc0961 said:
Wow. I knew that people in general were stupid, but I never knew that so many were dumb enough to just happily pay full price for a used, gutted game which is clearly not new once you remove the shrink wrap. Why the hell anyone would accept that when you can go to any of the other stores that carry games and are franchised like GameStop (Walmart, Target, Best Buy, etc) is beyond me... Man people are dumb.

Infernoshadow211 said:
I understand the gutting thing. It makes sense to me. What I don't understand is why people complain that a game isn't new when only the shrink wrap is off. To me as, long as the disc is pristine, I get an instruction manual, and the box isn't dented, it's new.
Okay, go buy any new game from any other store, take off the shrink wrap, and try to return it and see if they think it's still new. HINT: They don't, because it's not. Even if you get a shrink wrapped copy at GameStop, they won't take it back under a return policy if you remove said shrink wrap. Hypocrisy much? You'd sell an opened game as new, you should return an opened game as well. Hell, unless they do something special to say you bought the gutted copy, you might not even be able to return that because it's got no shrink wrap.

And if you actually get a clean disc with no damage to the box or manual AND all of the DLC codes in the box and haven't been used yet, congratulations, you seem to have found the one GameStop on the planet that doesn't suck as much as the others.
I've worked in EB games and retail stores for years, and there's reasons why games brought back to stores aren't considered new:
-the game left the store
-it could have been copied
-potential lost contents

Simple as that. The gutted game is put into a sleeve and stored with everything that came in in it within the store. Games used to play as demos are of course, not sold as new.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Hum. Nothing to out of left field this week. I know they gut games and suspected that it was to prevent theft. It makes sense that most managers are dudes that are managers and not gamers. Still, its a good article and I expect it will get more interesting in the coming weeks. Keep it coming!

kgagne

Feb 17, 2010
I've worked in a GameStop and refuse to purchase "last copies". I don't have any moral or logistical objection to the practice -- I just prefer a shrinkwrapped copy.

However, it should be noted that GameStop employees are allowed to bring home gutted copies of games for play on their own time, and then return them to the store for sale as new -- the price of having an informed staff.

Arctodus_Simus

When I say "oo", you say "long"
Aug 23, 2010
Interesting read :) I look forward to the next

Made me rethink my application for xmas staff over the holidays too...

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
No surprise here... Never worked at a gamestop (or EBgames as they are called here and yes it's the same comapnies) by make a long time i had figured out why they gutted the game. And to be honest never cared the slightest. I understood that they wanted to prevent stealing, and even if i always taught the back door leaded to a larger toom that a phone boot sized local, i had figured it wasnt big enough to store lot of game... simply looking to the layout of a mall inform you there isnt much place for big warehouse there.

And anyway as now i barelly ever buy game at stores now instand ordering them online, eighter from amazon or gamestop. the gme they delivered me are send not gutted... because thay are shipped from the warehouses....

neoontime

I forgot what this was before...
Jul 10, 2009
Never got why pre wrapped games so bad. I mean its way easier and less dangerous to get the game out. I got the scars to prove this.

wonkify

Oct 2, 2009
I don't understand the need to break this piece into four sections. You have many excellent long form pieces, all far longer than this short segment. It just seemed light on content and length.

Maybe you intend to have explosive revelations in the latter segments but this one doesn't seem to offer much other than the nuts and bolts of generic retail operations of any stripe.

But then I don't patronize this company so maybe that's why I'm not as invested as many of these other comments are. The ugliness of this company's rep keeps me from spending any time or money there. I vote with my feet and dollars.

Senmurv

Senmurvian Royalty
Mar 5, 2008
Man, a little harsh on GS managers, aren't we? Managers don't game, eh? I AM one, and I've been gaming since 1988!

While it's true that out of the 4000+ managers in the company not EVERY one is a solid gamer, I don't think it's quite fair to label us ALL as apathetic nongamers-- hell, I recently came back from our yearly conference and can vouch that the crowd went wild during our MANY presentations from the vendors showing off the new games.

While "Ben's" district may have been full of retail drones, mine just has the problem of being "too cool" for each other. We all game to some degree-- even my DM. ^_^

I really would like to encourage the author of this series to avoid making blanket statements about 4000 different stores based on just one or two of them-- we're retailers under the same banner but vary greatly from state to state and region to region-- you may as well say that every gamer is the same!

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
Fenixius said:
Adultratedhydra said:
[...] i feel if someone spends an extra 3-5 bucks on a game to basicly insure it with us, we should not give them a "USED" game as a replacement. [...]
Wait, what? If someone puts EB's disk guarantee on their game, their mint copy of Halo Reach, and returns it with an Xbox Ring Burn, you'll replace it with a used copy of the game if one is available? Is that correct? Please tell me it's not, because that's ridiculous. New should be replaced with new, preowned with preowned.
Yes. "Company policy" is replace a game with a game guarentee with a pre-owned if theres one avaliable. if you get someone who replaces a new with new then he/she is giving the finger to the bosses.

TimeLord75

Sep 3, 2009
And you might think that a GameStop stock room in the back - that magical little door where employees go to fetch games for you - is the size of the warehouse where the ark is stored at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark. It's not. Ours was only slightly larger than the average phone booth.
(emphasis mine)

Just like a police box...no larger than your average police box. ;)

In all seriousness--good read. Looking forward to next week!

Mr Pantomime

Jul 10, 2010
I dont have gamestops in my country, but the equalvilent here is probably EB Games (I think Gamestop might own them). Im never really bothered buying gutted games, because I understand why they dont have them complete on the shelf. That said, I do prefer buying online. because my games always come shrinkwrapped.

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
Very interesting. I'm intrigued to see the other insights into the retail side of things. :)

Vivace-Vivian

Apr 6, 2010
Adultratedhydra said:
Being someone who works in an EBgame (Australia's evuivelant. Funnily enough owned by gamestop) i cant wait till te subject of game guarentee's comes up. im always at odd's with my area manager because i feel if someone spends an extra 3-5 bucks on a game to basicly insure it with us, we should not give them a "USED" game as a replacement.

its ridiculous. I personally dont mind gutting but then im in one of few stores with a very small staff contingent in a rural area with a suprisingly large back room and its nice to relieve the tedium of dealing with hicks whom i have to explain why thier ps3 game is not working on thier computer.
You give them used ones?

I work at a Canada EB Games and if you buy new, you get a new replacement.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
So I'm going to go ahead and match this column with my own experiences. I'll probably addm ore to this on future columns in the coming weeks.

For the record, EB Games is what Electronics Boutique was rebranded in Australia after Gamestop bought out the brand in the US.

I'd wanted to work at EB since I was about 17. That was when my interest in games really took off and I considered this a viable part-time job option. It looked like fun. The guys were always joking around with each other, talking about games, and getting to take games home to try them out - not technically allowed but I had a friend who managed another EB and he told me it was just one of those undocumented perks. As long as the game is returned by the opening of the next business day there's no harm done, right?

I didn't seriously apply until I was about 18, and needed the job to support myself at university. I'd usually drop a resume in about once every six months, but mostly worked in a warehouse driving forklifts during my holidays and gaming was only a hobby. I left university at the end of 2001 just before I turned 19 (I had to drop out as I couldn't find part time work that fit around my university schedule). I worked a year in security, then a year at Kinko's before the company closed down in Australia.
I never got a job at EB - the store I kept applying to had a habit of only hiring friends, or people known to the current staff. People who already treated the store like a second home and would help customers with the game selections for fun. I don't know why alarm bells weren't ringing at this point.
I finally got my chance at the end of 2004 when my "usual" EB Games had a change in management and changed their hiring policies. I blitzed the group interview and quit my job at Kinko's for what I perceived to be greener pastures. After two days of "training" shifts at a new (and not very busy) store, I started working at my "usual" store.
Myself and one other guy, a kid of about 17 (I was 21 - almost 22 at this point) started in the same week.
I was available for as many shifts as they would give me as I was in my summer break.

In my first week I did two shifts (the other new guy got given four). I was given the gutting task as detailled in the article. I also had to face up the stock, print price-tags for preowned stock as well as gut those too. As well as being attentive to customers I had to maintain constant vigilance to make sure none of the floor stock walked out the door.

I was criticised for not stopping the assistant manager walking back into the store after his lunch break, picking up a set of speakers, and walking out the door with them - which was done purely to test me. Apparently, he decided, anyone could have walked in and done the same thing. My view is, he was the assistant manager. What was I really going to say to him if he wanted to carry stock somewhere. For all I knew he was carrying it for a customer.

A Gamecube went missing. I was accused of stealing it - or more indirectly "maybe I took it out to show a customer and forgot to put it back". At that point in my life I had literally never touched a Gamecube, not even recreationally. I categorically denied their suggestions.
I was given housekeeping duties to perform after closing. I was expected to spend at least an hour vacuuming, mopping dusting, facing up shelves, and tidying up the stockroom.

Did I mention this was off the clock? No one gets paid past 5pm. I was expected to stay until 6, sometimes 7pm. Soem of the guys would stay until 8 or 9. Sometimes they had stuff to do, other times they were just hanging out. I didn't want to commit that kind of time, especially since I wasn't being paid for it. I had a girlfriend to get home to. She worked full time in a "real" job (health insurance claims) so I was usually responsible for cooking dinner.
I started to notice I was drawing contempt for my lack of dedication to the role, but what was I going to do? Get home at 10:30pm every night because I was doing unpaid overtime in a job that didn't pay very well to begin with.
In my second week I got sick. I went in for the two shifts I was rostered for, and was asked to come in to do the late-night shopping shift on Thursday. Unfortunately I had to turn it down - I knew I wasn't feeling well and thought it best if I rested. More contempt, open sneering from my manager.
It turns out I was so ill I was actually bedridden until Sunday due to a nasty chest infection - fortunately I didn't miss any rostered shifts.
I was given my roster. Two shifts again. The other new guy had five - over 30 hours. Obviously I was on the manager's shit list.
I asked him why I was only getting two shifts - two shifts in a week was barely worth working for the amount of income I was earning. I was barely making as much as I had been pulling doing Sundays at Kinko's. This whole thing was starting to sound like a really bad idea.
In response to my query my manager said something indistinct about "bad numbers".
Numbers aren't just sales. They're upsells. What percentage of warranties you attach to new or used game sales or consoles. How many games you sell with a new console. How often you move pre-owned as an alternative to new - everyone knows Gamestop make their money off of pre-owned sales. What a lot of people don't realise is jut how open they are about it. They tell you on your first day what the profit margin is, and how badly we want it. If you sell new over pre-owned you're made to feel like you're stealing from the company.
Anyway, the point is, any time you upsell you get another point in your favour.

My numbers weren't good. The other new guy was much better at this than me. I pointed out how many more shifts I'd gotten since day one, how the other guy had been given more opportunity to perform - maybe if I was working 3-5 times a week I'd be doing well too.
This argument failed to move him.

In my 4th week I got no shifts. Zero. Nada. Zilch. This was right before Christmas, when we were supposed to be getting more hours. I knew this was EB giving me the finger.

I let it go, then I got no shifts in the 5th week. I went to another EB (closer to home) to buy a game and was informed my staff discount was no longer active - they'd gotten a bounceback on it the last time I'd bought from there.

I called my manager asking him what was going on. Was I fired? All he said was "I don't have anything for you this week."
I explained my discount was rejected, asked him again "am I fired?"
Again, all he said was "I don't have anything for you this week."
After a pause he added: "Your numbers need to improve if you want more shifts."
I asked how I get better numbers without any shifts.
Want to guess what he said? That's right: "I don't have anything for you this week."

I never resigned from EB. I was never officially terminated. I just stopped getting shifts.

It's an annoying milestone in my life, the three weeks I worked at an EB. I see the agony on the faces of the people who work there now, the subtle shifts in body language and tone of voice between manager and employee that identify poor performers and high performers.

Just last week I was in an EB to enquire about the possibility of pre-ordering the collector's edition of Fallout: New Vegas. The manager was all smiles, told me everything I needed to know. Could I preorder it? No, but there might be a way to secure some overstock if you're real lucky, here's how..."

Then as I headed out the door he turned to the girl next to him and asked her why a non-gutted game someone had traded in was sitting on the counter in reach of customers.
She said with alarm: "I don't know how I missed that one!"
I almost felt ice forming as he lowered his voice and said: "I'd like to know too."

I wonder if he'll have any shifts for her next week.

ResiEvalJohn

Nov 23, 2009
This is the most interesting article on Escapist that I've read in a while! I always wanted to work at a Gamestop in High school and college, but for some reason I just stayed working at grocery stores and restaurants. Usually my coworkers and I were talking about games anyway 50% of the time (the other 50 being about girls and sex of course).

As for the whole gutting issue, I've never had a problem with it or any next gen games that I bought malfunctioning, so I don't care as long it solves the problems with theft.
Looking forward to reading more next week!

warrain

Mar 26, 2008
I love these comments. I had to stop reading them cause it started to all look the same and basically all say the same things... but yes I agree with what I read. I don't understand complaints AGAINST gutting at all, I work at BB and we stole the gutting idea and put it towards the rental games. that way you can rent with the actual case while we have the games hidden in the back in nice protective sleeves.
I also understand working for someone who isn't really a gamer (considering we a mostly movies, but also games aswell so there's that 50/50 deal there considering I'm a gamer and don't watch many movies). Yes he plays some games, or just has his kids play them, but that's why he has us. We are his gamers. We're the ones who rent all the games, play them, then tell people "uhh you sure you want to rent *insert bad game here*?" But on the other hand, my store manager does listen to us and actually asks us for approval on ideas he has on organizing the store. But I know that's NOT every SM, not all SMs listen to their employees or care about how their store is being kept.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
Vivace-Vivian said:
Adultratedhydra said:
Being someone who works in an EBgame (Australia's evuivelant. Funnily enough owned by gamestop) i cant wait till te subject of game guarentee's comes up. im always at odd's with my area manager because i feel if someone spends an extra 3-5 bucks on a game to basicly insure it with us, we should not give them a "USED" game as a replacement.

its ridiculous. I personally dont mind gutting but then im in one of few stores with a very small staff contingent in a rural area with a suprisingly large back room and its nice to relieve the tedium of dealing with hicks whom i have to explain why thier ps3 game is not working on thier computer.
You give them used ones?

I work at a Canada EB Games and if you buy new, you get a new replacement.
Hey, um, I live in Canada, and I noticed some of my beloved EB's have turned into Gamestops. Are you getting bought out?
[sub]Say it ain't so joe..[/sub]
I know I should research this if I'm so interested, but I hate wallowing through all the crap that google sometimes offers, and am just no good at research in general.

OT: I find this article quite interesting. Not much in terms of actual content. Well, not anything I didn't already suspect. I do however find the qualifications for working at gamestop to be rather sad, adn in my situation, hopeful. I hate where i currently work, and thinking that I could get a job in the games industry and help local gamers out(if only a little) is great. Even if it's only recommending a new game.