Richard Attenborough, Jurassic Park's John Hammond, Dies Aged 90

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Richard Attenborough, Jurassic Park's John Hammond, Dies Aged 90

Richard Attenborough's acting and directing career spanned over sixty years.

Actor and director Richard Attenborough, acclaimed for his acting stints in pictures such as The Great Escape, and directing efforts of movies such as Ghandi, has passed away at the age of 90. To the geek community, Attenborough will be perhaps best remembered for his role as John Hammond from the iconic dinosaur thriller, Jurassic Park.

Steven Spielberg, who directed Jurassic Park, said of Attenborough: "He made a gift to the world with his emotional epic Gandhi and he was the perfect ringmaster to bring the dinosaurs back to life as John Hammond in Jurassic Park," he said. "He was a dear friend and I am standing in an endless line of those who completely adored him."

Attenborough had apparently been moved to a nursing home due to his advanced age, where he was living with his wife. His son said that the family would offer a full statement on Monday.

Sir Ben Kingsley, who played the title role in Attenborough's Ghandi said that the director "trusted me with the crucial and central task of bringing to life a dream it took him 20 years to bring to fruition. When he gave me the part of Gandhi it was with great grace and joy. He placed in me an absolute trust and in turn I placed an absolute trust in him and grew to love him."

Along with his naturalist brother David, known for his documentaries, Richard was one of Britain's best-known screen celebrities, and will surely be missed by the world.

Source: BBC [http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-28923074]

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
I swear deaths in media always happen in waves.

Wonder who is next. Christopher lee perhaps.

Condolences towards the family, he will surely be missed.

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
Damn man, it seems like one after another. I have the sneaking suspicion that we'll be getting a lot of these posts in the not too near future though.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
the older you get the more good actors and others leave some sooner then others

FillerDmon

Jun 6, 2014
... I feel like I'm heartless for not knowing he had different name until now... but at the same time, he was immortalized in my memory, as well as the memory of many, as John Hammond... I honestly hope they do make Jurassic Park 4, just to give him a dedication...

Rest in peace, Richard Attenborough. You had a long run, and I hope you enjoy your eternal rest.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Jesus, John Hammond? That is what he known for?

He was the greatest juvenile delinquent of all of all time as Pinkie in Brighton Rock, chilling Serial Killer John Christie in 10 Rillington Place, and of course Big X in that greatest of classics The Great Escape.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
I was just remarking before that you can tell what gen someone is from by how they remember Richard Attenborough:

Baby-Boomers: The Great Escape.
Gen X: Ghandi
Gen Y: Jurassic Park.

Great man, vale.

Captain Quetzal

Jun 22, 2013
Shamanic Rhythm said:
I was just remarking before that you can tell what gen someone is from by how they remember Richard Attenborough:

Baby-Boomers: The Great Escape.
Gen X: Ghandi
Gen Y: Jurassic Park.

Great man, vale.
I actually remember him more for the Miracle on 34th Street remake. Always watch it at Christmas ever since I was a kid. The scene where he signs to the deaf girl always warms my heart.

Rest in peace Sir Richard.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
Dark Knifer said:

I hate to even think that, but as it is I check wikipedia every month or so to make sure he's still alive, and have this funny mental image of him keeping a list of people he outlived.

OT: I never saw any of the movies he's known for (not even Jurassic Park, but I HAVE to watch that now) but still I knew of him and his renown as an actor and this is a great loss, R.I.P Sir David,

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I'll remember him for his countless contributions to nature documentaries.

This was a man in tune with the world, and it is a crying shame to see him pass ;(

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
I'll always remember him as John Hammond, Jurassic Park was by far my favorite movie when I was younger (it's still a damn fine movie). A real shame to hear, may he rest in peace.

On a sidenote, I'm totally expecting to see some artwork online where the pearly gates look like the Jurassic Park-gate with Richard walking through it, finally realizing his dream.

Captain Quetzal

Jun 22, 2013
Oly J said:
R.I.P Sir David,
Sigmund Av Volsung said:

This was a man in tune with the world, and it is a crying shame to see him pass ;(
You're both thinking of the naturalist Sir David Attenborough, Richard's brother. He's still alive.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Captain Quetzal said:
Oly J said:
R.I.P Sir David,
Sigmund Av Volsung said:

You're both thinking of the naturalist Sir David Attenborough, Richard's brother. He's still alive.
How awkward :X

In either case, I still respect both of them equally. Quite similar for brothers, but both are equally amazing human beings. The loss of either of them is saddening.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Captain Quetzal said:
Oly J said:
R.I.P Sir David,
Sigmund Av Volsung said:

How awkward :X

In either case, I still respect both of them equally. Quite similar for brothers, but both are equally amazing human beings. The loss of either of them is saddening.
oh god that's embarrassing! I meant Richard, but David Attenborough is the name that springs more readily to mind for some reason

captcha: Bruce Lee, I know captcha, that was tragic too

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Oly J said:
Dark Knifer said:

I hate to even think that, but as it is I check wikipedia every month or so to make sure he's still alive, and have this funny mental image of him keeping a list of people he outlived.
I have a similar view of Adam West.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Rest in peace, sir. I've always remembered him from the WW2 films he was in. He helped us win the war, along with John Mills ;)

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Dark Knifer said:
Wonder who is next. Christopher Lee perhaps.
A friend of mine and I made a pact; when Sir Christopher Lee passes from this mortal plane, we are going on a pub crawl and we will drink every drink mentioned in this song:

Mai Tai say that I'm Old Fashioned
Très Vin ordinaire
That I want a fresh Manhattan
With white anglo-saxons everywhere?
A Black Russian's
No Pink lady
Give her the Singapore sling!
And Moscow mule is not your baby
So Highball the Vodka and name your sting!
Be a Big shot
With a Bull shot
Be a Schwein
Mit der Wein!
Have a short
Or a Port
Or a snort
Of any sort!
Asti spumante ?
Uno Chianti
Are divine!

I got some economic
Hocks
A Gin and tonic
On the rocks!
Where angels fear to tread, I
Say: Choose
Your booze!
Let's hit the Red eye!
Think of young Deanna Durbin
And how she sung on Rum and Bourbon
Or enhance your lunch-
Eon hour with a Planter's Punch
And a Whiskey sour!
If you feel like a wreck
Try a Horse's Neck
Or a Sherry
With a cherry
In the new fun size!

If you don't name your poison
I'll have to get the boys in
The spirit of adventure opens one's eyes!
If you don't name your poison
I'll have to get the boys in
And you'll never see another Tequila Sunrise!

Live happily ever after
With a Chablis and some laughter
"Between the Sheets" is lovely
With a dizzy blonde and a bottle of bubbly!
There's nothing sicker in society
Than a lack of liquor and sobriety!
So, down the hatch
Here's mud in your eye
Take a bracer
With a chaser
Wash it down with Rye!
Bottoms up!
Stirrup cup!

It'll put you in the pink
And all you have to do is
Drink, drink, drink, drink, driii-ink!
Driiiink!
Driiiink!

In all likelyhood, this will lead to alcohol poisoning but we'll give it a red hot go.