PlayStation Store Sale Celebrates Heroines

Sarah LeBoeuf

Apr 28, 2011
PlayStation Store Sale Celebrates Heroines

Sony's weekend-long heroine-themed flash sale has female-driven movies and games available for reduced prices.

In the mood for a female-driven video game or movie? If you're a PlayStation owner, you're in luck: Sony has a few dozen properties available for reduced prices in this weekend's "Heroine Sale." From the over-the-top antics of Bayonetta's titular character to the cutting wit of Portal 2's Glad0s to Kill Bill's murder-fest at the hands of Uma Thurman, there are plenty of heroines to go around.

In addition to the games already mentioned, others included to buy or rent in the flash sale are Fat Princess, Heavenly Sword, and Mirror's Edge, which is a steal at $2.25. Just about all of the Resident Evil films can be rented for a few bucks, as can the Tomb Raider films, if you're in the mood to see Angelina Jolie's take on the ass-kicking archaeologist.

There are dozens more options in PlayStation's Heroine Sale, the full list of which can be found at the PlayStation Store [https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/flash-sale/cid=STORE-MSF77008-9_FLASHSALE2014?emcid=ps-vi-1147&utm_medium=Paid_Search_{ps}&utm_campaign=October_Flash_Sale&utm_source=Google&utm_term=ps-vi-1147&utm_content=Brand]. It's been quite a tempetuous time in the gaming industry for months now; escaping with a video game or movie doesn't sound like a bad idea at all.

Source: PlayStation Store [https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-us/flash-sale/cid=STORE-MSF77008-9_FLASHSALE2014?emcid=ps-vi-1147&utm_medium=Paid_Search_{ps}&utm_campaign=October_Flash_Sale&utm_source=Google&utm_term=ps-vi-1147&utm_content=Brand]

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
As fun as it is, I really think we need a new feminine form of the word "hero" because having it be one letter off and homophonic with a drug is just annoying.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Azuaron said:
Wait wait wait... GLaDOS is a... heroine? What Portal did you play?
The one with Chell, her super leg-braces, and the homicidal machines intent on her cake-making potential.

Edit: Also, I just re-read the article, I feel both stupid and disappointed at it now...

Jak2364

Feb 9, 2010
Damn, I thought it was going to be the game Heavenly Sword, not the movie! Well, at least I can finally play Beyond Good & Evil.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Sarah LeBoeuf said:
PlayStation's Heroine Sale
Man, one typo away from hilarious.

OT: I like the idea of it, although it does feel a bit like pandering to me (the top games in my steam wishlist have female protags, so pot calling the kettle black and all). That said, I can't help but feel a little bit suspicious of their timing: I'm guessing it's the end of the press embargo for Bayonetta 2 reviews and I don't think it slipped their minds that they need to get something out there to compete with the wii u's third party golden child.

Not to mention the whole gamergate thing going on that's guaranteed to draw attention, praise, and money to this.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
deth2munkies said:
As fun as it is, I really think we need a new feminine form of the word "hero" because having it be one letter off and homophonic with a drug is just annoying.
Fun fact: heroin was invented by Bayer and its name comes from the word hero because they thought it had "heroic affects". Basically it was how they marketed the drug

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
deth2munkies said:
At a glance I also thought it said that The Playstation store celebrates Heroine and I thought to myself 'That is a strange sale to have. Actually...I guess it isn't!"

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I decide to leave my PS3 back in my hometown so I can focus on my internship?and this happens. I've been waiting to play Mirror's Edge for a while now...

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
deth2munkies said:
As fun as it is, I really think we need a new feminine form of the word "hero"
Why would we need a specific feminine form for hero? Just "hero" sounds good enough to me.

Besides, you can't spell hero without her.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
I find the timing of this... "interesting" considering that Bayonetta 2 is dropping on the WiiU with a Bayo1 freebie within the week.

Not saying this is suspect because it's still a good thing overall... just interesting.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
deth2munkies said:
im glad im not the only one who read the title and thought" what the hell heroin is being sold by playstation? then re-read it and started laughing.

JSoup

Jun 14, 2012
Why is it that they always put Neptunia Victory up for sale, but never goddamn Neptunia MK2? Some of us like playing games in order.

Capcha: Peak Day Pricing

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
The line up seems a little weak. Surely, Sony has more media with heroines they could have included, like the actual Tomb Raider and Heavenly Sword games, Dino Crisis, Alien: Isolation (maybe some free DLC with the full game price?), the Alien movies, the first two Terminator movies, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Gravity Rush, or Metroid(wait, wrong publisher). (Licensing issues might be the problem, but it still seems half-assed.)

Also, thanks for reminding me way too soon after the $100 special that Sony's store is sllllllloowwwwww (and the search function sucks, too)
SilverUchiha said:
I find the timing of this... "interesting" considering that Bayonetta 2 is dropping on the WiiU with a Bayo1 freebie within the week.

Not saying this is suspect because it's still a good thing overall... just interesting.
It wouldn't surprise me if they were planning on a "Heroine Sale" to bolster their PR after all the mess that's happened in the industry in the past month, saw that Bayo2 was about to come out and said "Why not distract our customers from buying a system with actual exclusives while we're at it?"

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
This is ridiculous. What does Herobrine have to do with any of these games?

Sadly, I have most of the games in this sale. I'm tempted to pick up Bayonetta so I can finish it, though I was hardly in love with the game. Eight bucks sounds about what I'd pay for it.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Did anyone else read this and think "Wow Sony is pandering"? Or is it that anything remotely connected to woman/feminism has become a knee jerk reaction now due to gamergate etc?

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
SonOfVoorhees said:
Did anyone else read this and think "Wow Sony is pandering"? Or is it that anything remotely connected to woman/feminism has become a knee jerk reaction now due to gamergate etc?
I thought so at first, but then I went to check out the discounts and it directed me to the "Femme Fatales Deals", so business as usual then.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Salad Is Murder said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
I thought so at first, but then I went to check out the discounts and it directed me to the "Femme Fatales Deals", so business as usual then.
Thing is when people talk about females lead games they never mention Velvet Assassin and Venetica. Both good games if rough around the edges.

Would Mercenaries 1 & 2 or Dynasty/Samurai Warriors be counted under the great heroines list?

Salad Is Murder

Oct 27, 2007
SonOfVoorhees said:
Salad Is Murder said:
SonOfVoorhees said:
Thing is when people talk about females lead games they never mention Velvet Assassin and Venetica. Both good games if rough around the edges.

Would Mercenaries 1 & 2 or Dynasty/Samurai Warriors be counted under the great heroines list?
Velvet Assassin is easily the best stealth game I've played in a long time.