Star Wars: Battlefront Will Launch In Holiday 2015

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Star Wars: Battlefront Will Launch In Holiday 2015

Star Wars: Battlefront is EA's big 2015 Christmas blockbuster.

We've been excited for Star Wars: Battlefront (technically Star Wars: Battlefront 3 ever since it was first revealed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134284-Star-Wars-Battlefront-Update-Coming-Next-Month] earlier in the year. Now, it looks like we won't have to be waiting quite as long as we'd thought, as EA has announced the title will be arriving in time for Christmas next year.

"May the Force be with you," Tweeted the official EA Twitter [https://twitter.com/EA/status/527205661692555265], "Star Wars Battlefront will release for Holiday 2015." In its annual earnings call, EA stated that Battlefront would be the focus for 2015, and that Battlefield 5 (or whatever it is that comes after Hardline) won't be released until fall 2016 at the earliest.

Just like its predecessors, Battlefront will be a first-person-shooter... but that's about all the info we know about it. Since it's being developed by Battlefield developer DICE in Sweden, and since the original games did have the whole Battlefield-scale, well, battlefields, we can probably assume that the game will essentially boil down to Battlefield: Star Wars Edition. Which sounds awesome.

EA has promised more information on the game by spring 2015, so you guys will just have to hold on until then!

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/EA/status/527205661692555265]

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Steven Bogos said:
Just like it's predecessors, Battlefront will be a first-person-shooter
Hm... maybe there were different modes, but I always played the previous Battlefronts as third-person shooters, not first-person.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
(This is not directed at Mr. Bogos) THIRD PERSON SHOOTER FOR FUCK'S SAKE. DICE, do not turn this into a Battlefield 4 paintjob.

Ukomba said:
Woot! Now juts need a Dark Forces 3 :D.
It exists, and it's called Jedi Outcast.

Millky95

Nov 19, 2009
Smiley Face said:
Steven Bogos said:
Hm... maybe there were different modes, but I always played the previous Battlefronts as third-person shooters, not first-person.
Soviet Heavy said:
(This is not directed at Mr. Bogos) THIRD PERSON SHOOTER FOR FUCK'S SAKE. DICE, do not turn this into a Battlefield 4 paintjob.
I'm the same. 3rd person or bust. I don't actually know anyone who plays 1 & 2 1st person. Jedi's were boss in 3rd person

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Smiley Face said:
Steven Bogos said:
If I'm remembering correctly, it switched between First and third person depending on who you were playing as. For the most part, Jedi and vehicles were third person, regular soldiers were first person, with the single exception of Droidekas that were rolling around.

I think that was the default, but it's possible that was just the setting I went with.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Falterfire said:
Smiley Face said:
Steven Bogos said:
If I'm remembering correctly, it switched between First and third person depending on who you were playing as. For the most part, Jedi and vehicles were third person, regular soldiers were first person, with the single exception of Droidekas that were rolling around.

I think that was the default, but it's possible that was just the setting I went with.
I don't know what was default or not, but I definitely always played my troopers in 3rd person mode, wider field of view meant I could see where the enemies were concentrated, and what directions were available to dodge in. If they don't have 3rd person as available for all classes, it's going to be a rather different game.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Falterfire said:
Default is 3rd person actually, with you being able to play in first person if you chose to do so. I was playing Battlefront 2 on my PS2 a couple of days ago, and I just couldn't play the game in first person to save my life. My Storm Trooper died many times...

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Falterfire said:
Smiley Face said:
Steven Bogos said:

These were the settings I went with as well, made shooting more accurate and my driving better.

Also jokes on you EA, I already have Star Wars Battlefront on the original xbox and I got it 10 years before they're releasing it. Now if they wanna call it Battlefront 3 then that I don't have.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Neronium said:
Falterfire said:
Default is 3rd person actually, with you being able to play in first person if you chose to do so. I was playing Battlefront 2 on my PS2 a couple of days ago, and I just couldn't play the game in first person to save my life. My Storm Trooper died many times...
Same. I tried it in 1st-person and it was shit. Of course, I doubt the 1st-person mode in Battlefront 3 could possibly be as bad as it was back then. They'd have to really muck it up for that to happen.

I don't know what it was...UI? Narrow FOV? It just didn't work out for me, sadly.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
My policy towards this game is the same: watch with caution. Knowing EA, it's guaranteed that they're going to muck this game up somehow, but I'm going to hold my judgement till I see more footage come out.

Still, I reinstalled Battlefront 2 on my PC a few months back, and as much as I enjoyed it even after 6 years since I last played it, I think it's about time we get a polished. It wasn't that perfect of a game in the first place, and who better to update a Battlefield-inspired series other than the studio that made Battlefield? I had fun with the two recent Battlefield games, and at least we know that DICE actually begged to make this game, so we know they're actually passionate over this project.

I'd say I'll miss the mod support offered by the game, but ever since FileFront (where 95% of all Battlefront II mod files are located) blocked its services from my home country it might as well be nonexistent to me now.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Kalezian said:
Barbas said:
Neronium said:
Falterfire said:
Same. I tried it in 1st-person and it was shit. Of course, I doubt the 1st-person mode in Battlefront 3 could possibly be as bad as it was back then. They'd have to really muck it up for that to happen.

I don't know what it was...UI? Narrow FOV? It just didn't work out for me, sadly.
personally it was the FOV. The UI didn't help and some weapons covered a hilarious amount of the screen.

But this is DICE/EA we are talking about.

this will end up being a Battlefield: Hardline paint job [which it itself is a Battlefield 4 paint job, which in itself is a Battlefield 3 mod.], I dont want to sound like I'm wanting this to fail, but come on. DICE isn't exactly keen on changing their code, and I doubt they will add a third person mode for infantry.

Now, if they bring back space battles ala Battlefield 2, I might get it. hell, if they bring back the risk like game mode or even a half-assed story, I might rent it for a few days.
How I loved those old games of Battlefront, whizzing through space and weaving around Bespin.

How I wish I could advise anything other than caution here...at least it'll be nice to look at from a distance, though.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Smiley Face said:
Steven Bogos said:
That's literally exactly what I intended to post after reading the article. :p

Soviet Heavy said:
Millky95 said:
I'm the same. 3rd person or bust. I don't actually know anyone who plays 1 & 2 1st person. Jedi's were boss in 3rd person
Glad to see I wasn't the only one.

Seriously, Battlefront's 3rd person format kicked ass. I really hope that this doesn't just turn out to be Battlefield 4 sprayed with cops and robbers Star Wars textures.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Count me with the "3rd person or bust" category.

I have huge red flags going at the moment, all of which are signaling Battlefront basically being a battlefield re-skin.

Fuck that noise.

JonSherwell

Mar 21, 2013
I think that maybe the "1st person" remark was a mistype or something along those lines. I don't know, it's pretty difficult to confuse Battlefront's default perspective in my opinion.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
Yeah I hope they put in an option for 3rd person like the previous games, it just feels more natural in a game that is based on its large scale battles and allows for a much better feel of the land. Also it doesn't help that the first person mode was pretty terrible in the first two games so most be are accustomed to third person with their Battlefront. Not to mention if they bring back heroes and villains there is no way they could do saber and force combat well from a first person perspective, especially with some of the acrobatics that are used in the force jump attacks and some combos.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I'd like the option for 3rd person, since it fits within the theme of the original games. I'm cautious about this but glad they're not rushing the hell out of it either. Here's to hoping it turns out to be at the very least a decent throwback. But if not, I've got BF2 on PC and some decent mods for it so I won't be too unhappy... I mean I was already sad enough that Battlefront 3 was cancelled with apparently most of the game already completed.

Sep 14, 2009
Brian Tams said:
Count me with the "3rd person or bust" category.

I have huge red flags going at the moment, all of which are signaling Battlefront basically being a battlefield re-skin.

Fuck that noise.
yepp same, this is seeming more and more like a battlefield reskin, which is fucking bullshit, I want my battlefront.

I can only imagine EA had access to the unfinished version of battlefront III...they could've saved so much time and money by simply piggybacking on that AND pleasing fans at the same time by being true to the previous two games.

I can't imagine the rolling and gameplay in first person....yuck. Third person for this game is the only way for me to play.