Attack on Titan Crossing Over with Marvel Universe in Japan

Brittany Vincent

Pfhor the win!
Oct 1, 2014
Attack on Titan Crossing Over with Marvel Universe in Japan

Attack on Titan fans, rejoice! Your favorite behemoths are about to make an appearance in the Marvel Universe in Japan.

It's not every day you see comics and manga crossing over in such obvious ways, especially when it comes to hot properties like Spider-Man and Attack on Titan. But that appears to be exactly what's happening, at least in the Japanese comic market, with Attack on Titan colliding with the Marvel Universe.

C.B. Cebulski, Senior Vice President of Creative & Creator Development at Marvel, tweeted the announcement today, with an accompanying image to go with it, stating the crossover would be happening in Japan, but giving few additional details to go with it other than the fact that it will be running in just two weeks.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/CBCebulski/status/529337244768022528]

The image depicts Spider-Man high-tailing it away from two rampaging Titans from the popular anime and manga series, though without context it's tough to decipher if this is going to be a singularly Spidey-focused story or how much of Attack on Titan it's going to encompass. What's more, as Titan fans may attest, both of those specific beasts look a bit familiar.

Whatever the case may be, it's an interesting turn of events but not too surprising given the franchise's breakout success across the globe. Hopefully, whatever Marvel has planned for this crossover will make its way into English and other languages so all fans can enjoy it.

Source: Topless Robot [http://www.toplessrobot.com/2014/11/attack_on_titan_and_marvel_universe_will_cross_ove.php]

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Uh-huh.

*glances at EA HQ, sees it isn't covered in ice*

Well, hell hasn't frozen over yet, so this clearly isn't the sign of the apocalypse I initially thought it was.

So, yeah, that's a thing that's going to happen. Interesting. I mean, Marvel Zombies is also a thing, so weird ass cross-overs/alternate timelines shouldn't surprise me anymore.

But I still am. Attack on Titan isn't exactly the first popular Japanese IP that springs to mind when I consider a marvel cross-over, but ok.

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
It all depends on numbers and how fast. A couple of titans would not be a big deal in modern Earth.

A good 100 appearing all at once would cause quite a bit of damage before they could be put down, even with supers. The big thing is the "all at once" part. Especially if it's a large number spread all over the globe. Hundred thousand? A million? Even with modern weaponry and supers, the chaos that the titans would cause if they suddenly appeared, combined with their numbers and being spread out all over the world would make them more of a credible threat.

Will have to wait and see how it plays out.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
We're heading into deep lore here guys, everyone strap on tight!

But really, "ok" is all I can say. Can't really see how AoT will profit from it. It'll just be some fun thing that happened, I guess.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Piorn said:
We're heading into deep lore here guys, everyone strap on tight!

But really, "ok" is all I can say. Can't really see how AoT will profit from it. It'll just be some fun thing that happened, I guess.
'A fun thing'

~Remembers the Titans eating people alive~

Ah yes, such fun, fun times.

OT: The art looks cool... don't really know what else to say.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Charcharo said:
Why?

Attack on Titans titans do not work in a modern setting (the one of Marvel comics... most of the time).
They wont last against even a WW1 army, nor the one of a very poor 3rd world country.

Not saying comics are logical (they arent), but the Titans are way out of their league... even without Spiderman into the mix.
It does help that it looks like they are attacking in a city (99% sure it's going to be New York) which would make things a lot more complicated. In an open field, were the the military could just blast away at the things without worry, and use attack helicopters from essentially any angle to get at their necks, the Titans would die. If they just appear in the middle of New York, things would get messy.

The military can't just blast them with explosives at will, there are to many civilians that would cause to much property damage. Aircraft and choppers can't fly around freely. The police, with their small arms shooting from the ground, would have a really hard time taking down any Titans, even if they did know the neck is the weak spot.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Ok, I'm down with this. Be an interesting experiment at least. Wonder if some of the other Marvel team will show up at some point.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Charcharo said:
Because it's comic books and if it exists, sooner or later it will be in a crossover with something else that exists.

This is not as weird as Judge Dredd, I'm pretty sure that if you dig deep enough there is a cameo or a full cross over from everything ever in Judge Dredd at some point, although my favourite one is vs Aliens, special mention has to go to Dredd/Batman (multiple times!) and the infamous Dredd vs Everyone (spoiler, no one is above the law)...

Toblo1

Jun 1, 2014
Well... this is an unexpected crossover......

Mirrorknight said:
It all depends on numbers and how fast. A couple of titans would not be a big deal in modern Earth.

A good 100 appearing all at once would cause quite a bit of damage before they could be put down, even with supers. The big thing is the "all at once" part. Especially if it's a large number spread all over the globe. Hundred thousand? A million? Even with modern weaponry and supers, the chaos that the titans would cause if they suddenly appeared, combined with their numbers and being spread out all over the world would make them more of a credible threat.
This would get even more complicated if Titan Shifters where thrown into the mix as well.....

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
Charcharo said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Charcharo said:
Why?

Attack on Titans titans do not work in a modern setting (the one of Marvel comics... most of the time).
They wont last against even a WW1 army, nor the one of a very poor 3rd world country.

Not saying comics are logical (they arent), but the Titans are way out of their league... even without Spiderman into the mix.
It does help that it looks like they are attacking in a city (99% sure it's going to be New York) which would make things a lot more complicated. In an open field, were the the military could just blast away at the things without worry, and use attack helicopters from essentially any angle to get at their necks, the Titans would die. If they just appear in the middle of New York, things would get messy.

The military can't just blast them with explosives at will, there are to many civilians that would cause to much property damage. Aircraft and choppers can't fly around freely. The police, with their small arms shooting from the ground, would have a really hard time taking down any Titans, even if they did know the neck is the weak spot.
Remember a tank does not even need to shoot at a titan to kill it... it is absolutely immune to anything a Titan can do, is faster then a titan, more maneuverable then a titan, several times heavier...
All you need is a few tanks to crush the Titans. Failing that, Tank guns can hit a watermelon size object from over 3 KM... whilst moving... at almost full speed.
Then the titan regenerates and gets back up. That's not discounting the possibility, especially in a city like New York, of the Titan knocking the tank off it's treads (I'm not sure of their strength overall, but that was a huge-ass boulder a certain Aberrant Titan was carrying.)

Also, modern guns have nothing in common (power wise) with what the bozos of the manga use. The (american) police can turn titans into cheese far too easily.
Problem is, that won't kill them. That's why they stopped using small arms against titans. Bullets, even if they could over-penetrate, cannot stop a Titan.

That's what makes the Titans do dangerous in their own series: BS-hax regeneration and a weak spot that's not readily apparent. I'm not saying a modern world can't defeat the Titans, especially if they're not having to deal with them on the scale they do in AoT, but it's gonna take a while for them to compile the intelligence needed to kill them, and they can eat a lot of people before then.

RedmistSM

Jan 30, 2010
Cool! The military in Attack on Titan are already Spider-Man with jetpacks and large knives(which is super cool), it's why everyone were pestering the Spider-Man 2 guy about it during the kickstarter for Energy Hook.

I'm not really into the constant spinoffs and crossovers superhero comic books do, but Attack on Titan has a lot of that stuff for some reason, and this is one of the most fitting match-ups I could imagine.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
Unless the wormhole that unleashes the Titans into the Marvel Universe is one of those tech killers. Then it's Titans versus a pre-industrial world.. albeit with supers.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
Charcharo said:
SAMAS said:
Charcharo said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Charcharo said:
Why?

Remember a tank does not even need to shoot at a titan to kill it... it is absolutely immune to anything a Titan can do, is faster then a titan, more maneuverable then a titan, several times heavier...
All you need is a few tanks to crush the Titans. Failing that, Tank guns can hit a watermelon size object from over 3 KM... whilst moving... at almost full speed.
Then the titan regenerates and gets back up. That's not discounting the possibility, especially in a city like New York, of the Titan knocking the tank off it's treads (I'm not sure of their strength overall, but that was a huge-ass boulder a certain Aberrant Titan was carrying.)

Also, modern guns have nothing in common (power wise) with what the bozos of the manga use. The (american) police can turn titans into cheese far too easily.
Problem is, that won't kill them. That's why they stopped using small arms against titans. Bullets, even if they could over-penetrate, cannot stop a Titan.

That's what makes the Titans do dangerous in their own series: BS-hax regeneration and a weak spot that's not readily apparent. I'm not saying a modern world can't defeat the Titans, especially if they're not having to deal with them on the scale they do in AoT, but it's gonna take a while for them to compile the intelligence needed to kill them, and they can eat a lot of people before then.
When a 60-70 ton monster of a vehicle that you cant damage no matter what you do (Titans arent even close to the strength nor the mass to even bend the armor on those monstrosities.)
At the scale of the bigger titans, you don't have to even scratch the armor to mission-kill it, a tank knocked onto it's side or back isn't going anywhere or doing much. And amid the skyscrapers of New York City, a Titan can actually get close enough to do just that.

runs you over or shoots a 40 megajoule HE or canister shell at you, you are dead. That is basically annihilation. Their weakspot in the neck will be destroyed completely... along with most of their body.
Only if the overpressure wave counts as destroying the relevant part. Otherwise, you just blow a big hole in the torso, and it will just regenerate.

That is more power then several of their cannons at once. Much more power. If they had the tech to make such machines in the manga, it would be a short and uninteresting manga :p
It's not power that kills the titans, but precision. That's why you can shoot a titan with a cannon to no lasting effect if you don't hit it in the right place, but kill it with a pair of swords if you do.

That boulder wasnt nearly as heavy as an Abrams.
Check the scene in question again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhxvYtjPqdg
The diameter of that boulder was roughly equal to the Titan's size. At fifteen meters tall, that makes over 1700 cubic meters in volume for the roughly spherical rock. Going by most common rock densities [http://geology.about.com/cs/rock_types/a/aarockspecgrav.htm], that's heavier than damn near any tank you care to name.

Better penetration and superior damage from extremely high rate of fire and accurate weapons means massed fire will eventually ventilate their weak spots... that is what I meant.
The problem with spray-n-pray is that you eventually run out of ammunition. And mere ventilation won't work. You have to either completely remove or destroy the weak spot. Worse, massed-fire kills will obscure the Titans' weak spot, forcing the expenditure of even more ammunition. Not too much of a problem in the case of a single incursion, but that will make your planetary liberation hard on the logistics until they find some locals that don't want to eat them.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
This is neat and all... but call me when DBZ crosses over with DC. You all know why. I don't even have to explain myself.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Welp! The Titans are screwed!

Eh, either way it should still be fun to see the Marvelverse fight the Titans and it'll probably be a lot of fun.

Leemaster777 said:
This is neat and all... but call me when DBZ crosses over with DC. You all know why. I don't even have to explain myself.
To put to bed the age old argument of who would win between Batman and Gohan, right?