Robot Fights For Its Humanity in Chappie Trailer

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Robot Fights For Its Humanity in Chappie Trailer

District 9 director's third film follows a mechanical hero

Director Neil Blomkamp blew the blockbuster world's doors off with his Oscar-nominated debut Elysium. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/876-District-9] Now, the socially-conscious sci-fi maestro is looking to bounce back with the robot-starring action-drama Chappie.

Recalling earlier robot adventures like Short Circuit and Bicentennial Man, the film follows the exploits of Chappie - the first robot with actual artificial intelligence - and the influences that will form his understanding of the world as he "grows up" in a world that fears what the childlike machine could become. In the new trailer, he learns to mimic a He-Man cartoon, while posters ominously depict him having to choose between a set of children's building-blocks... or a gun.

The human cast features Dev Patel as a scientist and Hugh Jackman as a (possible) villain who distrusts Chappie. Sigourney Weaver and Jose Pablo Cantillo also star. The film is due out in February 2015.

Source: Sony Pictures [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhNshgSYF_M]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Ohhhh, I want it.

Okay, so Elysium was kinda meh, but this Blomkamp fellow can clearly make an awesome movie.

Also, is it just me or does the South African accent make the robot notably cuter?

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
The little bunny ears on chappy gave me (pleasent) memories of Briareos-H from Appleseed, so a nice connection there, and this does look very interesting.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Knew it was from Neil Blomkamp the moment I saw the pic of the robot, he has been in a lot of his stuff.

Tetra Vaal (2004)

Tempbot (2006)

and of course Elysium

It was also easy to see who played the voice of the robot

AH AM DEE FANNY MAN, FOK U!!!

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
Robot Fight*s* *f*or Its Humanity in Chappie Trailer

There are two typos... in the headline.

OT: This looks cool. I like his Briareos bunny ears.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
The robot dies. We all know this. This is basically King Kong with robots, except without Jack Black. The cast start to love the robot, army man thinks its a monster and that it can't have emotions because "Its not human!" and "It has no soul!" or the ever original, "What happens when it computes humans are a threat?!"
Robot dies saving one or more of the cast, Robot's last words are something like "I feel..."
And we as the audience are left misty eyed, asking who the real monster is:

Credits

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I enjoy robots, I enjoy the works of Neil Blomkamp.
Sold.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Gee, I wonder if the robot is pure and good and mankind is evil and corrupt. I wonder if this robot will hold a mirror up to our society in some extremely heavy handed manner.

Who's to say with Neil Blomkamp, right?

Nuxxy

Feb 3, 2011
Zhukov said:
Also, is it just me or does the South African accent make the robot notably cuter?
Not when you're South African. It feels like a gag that could wear thin quickly.

Xcaliber said:
Is that... is that Die Antwoord?
Unfortunately yes. Strangely enough, they would only work if playing their caricature's completely straight, whereas their music is all about being a parody.

Being a South African, I have to defer opinion on this till I see it.

D3s_ToD3s

Jan 17, 2012
So what is it with Cinemas obsession about AI lately?

Has someone seen this?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b20dZiTWf1E
Also Transcendence (wich wasn't awful. Just falsly advertised)

After last years single AI feature and this two films we will see 4 films about that, the year after.
Then 8. It will grow exponentialy O_O

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Silentpony said:
The robot dies. We all know this. This is basically King Kong with robots, except without Jack Black. The cast start to love the robot, army man thinks its a monster and that it can't have emotions because "Its not human!" and "It has no soul!" or the ever original, "What happens when it computes humans are a threat?!"
Robot dies saving one or more of the cast, Robot's last words are something like "I feel..."
And we as the audience are left misty eyed, asking who the real monster is:

Credits
OR
Maybe robot doesn't die in the end and it realizes that there is more to human being than flesh and blood.
And despite it's flaws humanity is mostly good.
But sadly, for some reason, I think you're closer to what actually will happen.

xxobot

Jun 2, 2014
D3s_ToD3s said:
Because its topical. I for one welcome our robot overlords.

In all seriousness though; AI is the future, and we need discussions of it and its implications. Specifically, we need the shift in mainstream culture that I have been seeing as of late; From 'unknowable' to 'I want one' in the likes of wall'e and such.

I'm not saying that robots being depicted helpful or philosophical, or simply having hearts of is gold realistic. Nor that it is not as old as dirt... Its just nice to see it more topical and (sometimes) less two dimensional than the likes of skynet.

Side bar: Less two dimensional? More dimensional? With one dimension more than two less than four?

...Does data even have a measurable dimensionality!?

Azahul

Apr 16, 2011
D3s_ToD3s said:

Has someone seen this?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b20dZiTWf1E
Also Transcendence (wich wasn't awful. Just falsly advertised)

After last years single AI feature and this two films we will see 4 films about that, the year after.
Then 8. It will grow exponentialy O_O
There's also this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyacm2FNSO4

I was wondering the same thing. Seems like self-determining robots are the new zombies, or something.

Edit: And then you have the whole Avengers 2 thing...

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
josemlopes said:
Knew it was from Neil Blomkamp the moment I saw the pic of the robot, he has been in a lot of his stuff.

Tetra Vaal (2004)

Tempbot (2006)

and of course Elysium

It was also easy to see who played the voice of the robot

AH AM DEE FANNY MAN, FOK U!!!
Yeah I notice it's his film right away cos of the long ear and rectanglar head on the robot (if it has exploding people then it is DEFINITELY his film)! It make me wonder is it a reference to the manga Appleseed cos of the character Briareos?

Yeah the film will definitely end well (did they forget that people are paranoid of advance AI well when used in media?).

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Gee, I wonder if the robot is pure and good and mankind is evil and corrupt. I wonder if this robot will hold a mirror up to our society in some extremely heavy handed manner.

Subtle he ain't, but I love him nonetheless. He's one of the few modern cyberpunk directors around, and I love me some cyberpunk. I always felt that Blomkamp's sci-fi felt so grounded.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Casual Shinji said:

I felt that District 9 wasnt exactly heavy handed, sure you have the evil big corporation where the CEO is willing to kill his daughter's husband for the future of the company but in the context of the movie it never really comes as heavy handed.

Elysium on the other hand, that really was heavy handed but I blame it on the fact that you could see by his short movies that he was tinkering with the plot of District 9 for a lot longer then with Elysium, maybe he started shooting way to early and should have spended more time on pre-production.

The world even felt less constistant then District 9.

Bke

May 13, 2013
Xcaliber said:
Is that... is that Die Antwoord?
Yep, that is. I actually worked on this film as an extra for a bit, my first proper big "non-local" film. I'm surprised they stuck with the name because I was under the impression that Chappie was the working title, you know? subject to change and all.

As an aside all the NDA's we signed simply said that Bloemkamph wrote the film, and didn't direct it. Indeed I never saw the man on set. I do know that multiple directors are used when making a film, but it was disappointing not to see the man on any of the days I was being all extra-y. So make of that what you will.

Also holy crap the amount of water they used to make scenes look consistent was abhorrent. I had always known films used large amount of resources but to see it is another thing entirely. That said I feel bad for the HR people, extras can be some of the bitchiest weirdos around.