Yes, Destiny 2 Is Already In Development

Brittany Vincent

Pfhor the win!
Oct 1, 2014
Yes, Destiny 2 Is Already In Development

Activision has announced that work has already begun on the next Destiny title.

Though Bungie is hard at work supporting Destiny with a swath of additional content already, the game could already be seeing a sequel in the near future, if recent reports are any indication. According to Activision, the company is already hard at work on the next full game in the Destiny series.

During a post-earnings financial call last week, Activision CEO Eric Hirshberg made the announcement, stating that additional expansion packs were underway as well, making the slate of future Destiny content quite full. For a game that's only celebrated a few months of having been available via retail, the fact that the next title is already being worked on is quite startling.

Of course, Activision wasn't quite keen on spilling the beans about any additional information just yet. The simple fact that fans could be expecting Destiny 2 (or whatever it ends up being called) in the future already is news enough for many gamers, plenty of which are likely still wading around in the immense game universe.

Have you completed the main campaign in Destiny yet? Are you already looking forward to heading back into that game world? Let us know in the comments below!

Source: Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/article/87018/destiny-2-currently-in-development]

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Given the deafening "meh" that greeted Destiny, I'll be curious to see how a sequel sells.

I know it sold well, so maybe there's a bunch of people out there hankering for more. I'm interested to see if the unimpressed and negative feedback was just on the internet or indicative of the game's wider reception.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
Zhukov said:
Given the deafening "meh" that greeted Destiny, I'll be curious to see how a sequel sells.

I know it sold well, so maybe there's a bunch of people out there hankering for more. I'm interested to see if the unimpressed and negative feedback was just on the internet or indicative of the game's wider reception.
Maybe all they see are the numbers of the day 1 sales, I will not be making the mistake of getting the second one until after I hear the reviews.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Wasn't Destiny supposed to be an MMO that would last 10 years? I mean we all know that was a bunch of bull, but isn't that what it was supposed to be?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Zhukov said:

What concerns me about this is that Destiny was supposed to have an arc going for like a decade or so. And like GTA's online updates, this was a selling point of the game (albeit unlike GTA, they weren't necessarily free).

Considering that a decade means they'll be working with new hardware (Whether or not you see a new console in the future), it sees unlikely that this is their approach. Which makes me think we're going to be seeing that slip silently under the table.

Not that I was going to get Destiny after seeing the reviews and gameplay vids, but the long-term viability of the game was one of the premises that did interest me.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Well, 'sequel' may be too generous of a word. But I do think its fair to say a Destiny map pack/ new loot set is being sold for full price. Now of course it was all content cut from the first one so that they can sell it to rabid fans for full price.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Zontar said:
Wasn't Destiny supposed to be an MMO that would last 10 years? I mean we all know that was a bunch of bull, but isn't that what it was supposed to be?
Destiny has always been planned to be a 4 game, 4 expansion series. (http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/sep/15/destiny-the-next-ten-years)

The sequels are supposed to fit into the shared universe MMO aspect.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
No, Bungie, no. Don't let Activision tell you to make a sequel; that's not how MMOs (or MMO-likes) work. The first game needs a lot more added and fixed, and immediately working on what is simply an unnecessary sequel is a corporate move with very weak evidence to support it.

INeedAName

Feb 16, 2011
W-what? Wasn't Destiny something that would be continuously built on over the years, with expansions and such? Eh, whatever. I don't own the game.

EbonBehelit

Oct 19, 2010
Wow. Just wow.

I knew that Destiny was basically a grind game with no content, but to have a forced reset* on the cards THIS early on is hilarious.

(* By forced reset, I mean how devs increase the lifespan of grind games by making previous items totally obsolete in one way or another.)

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
The game was incredibly SHORT. If this is something where I'd have to start a new character from scratch I think I'd be all sorts of pissed at Bungie that they'd have the audacity to sell me a half game and then waste months of my fucking time on a product that is already legacy software.

I mean, shit. This makes me all kinds of mad.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
This is console MMOs for you I guess, easier to make a new game every year than make an expansion pack for an existing one.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
I'm assumin they meant to call it an expansion but just forgot. Otherwise that's kinda a dick move right there.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
I'm just trying to think of a title here.

"The Second Destiny" anyone? How about "Destiny 2: More Future"? I suppose they could always call it "Destiny's Child" :p

(But yes, more on topic, I assume this is more of an expansion than a full sequel. Otherwise... Wow.)

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
So is this a separate title or is it a sequel that adds more to the game world like with WOW add ons?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
So is this one gonna feature Bryan Cranston as a drone?
Personally I'm hoping they get Randy Newman for the job...I think he'd be just perfect for the role. :3