Resident Evil's HD Remake Gets Dated, Priced

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Resident Evil's HD Remake Gets Dated, Priced

The Resident Evil HD Remake will be released on January 20, 2015.

Good news everyone, Capcom have announced something that isn't an overly excessive price-gouge! The HD remake of the original Resident Evil that was announced earlier in the year now has an official release date and price: January 20, 2015, for just $20!

The publisher confirmed that the game would be launching across all of its platforms - Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and PC - on the same date, and for the same price.

The game is actually the latest in a long-stream of Resident Evil remakes. It's a high-definition version of 2002's Resident Evil Remake for GameCube, which itself is a remake of the 1996 original. The game will output in 1080p on Xbox One and PS4, and whatever the heck you want it to on PC.

This latest Resident Evil remake is now looking quite a lot better than the GameCube version. You can see for yourself through this set of comparison images, released last month:

[gallery=3596]

We admit that comparing the game to the original PS1 version would probably make a more striking comparison, but we don't want to subject your eyes to polygons so jagged.

Good news for Resident Evil fans!

Source: Capcom [http://www.capcom.co.jp/biohd/en/index.html]

Myndnix

Aug 11, 2012
It does at least look good, but as long as it still has the gameplay style of RE games pre-4, I imagine it's age will stop most people from enjoying it.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I remember trying to play the original when I was ten and freaking the ever loving fuck out when I heard the zombies walking up. So much so that I had to get my cousin to kill them for me and she rarely was around to do so and thus I often shut the game off instead. Time to pull up my big boy pants and give it another go.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
It's FRIDAY FRIDAY. WE SO EXCITED EXCITED!!!

Horrible Rebecca Black reference aside, I can't wait for this. It's been so long since I played RE1. So freakin' long. I was but a child, playing on my friend's PS1.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I'm interested only if there's an option to turn off tank controls! I find the original REs so hard to get into. I've played 1, 2 and 3 completely once each but have no desire to return for that simple reason.

That said, this RE-remake along with RE: Revelations shows that Capcom clearly KNOW that people want a return to the more traditional RE horror style. So why they continue to churn out sub-par RE4 clones like 5 and 6 baffles me.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
So what's the official unofficial name this one's getting?

RE-REmake?
reREmake?
REmake: The REmakening?
REsident REmake?

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
Proverbial Jon said:
I'm interested only if there's an option to turn off tank controls! I find the original REs so hard to get into. I've played 1, 2 and 3 completely once each but have no desire to return for that simple reason.

That said, this RE-remake along with RE: Revelations shows that Capcom clearly KNOW that people want a return to the more traditional RE horror style. So why they continue to churn out sub-par RE4 clones like 5 and 6 baffles me.
well to try to recapture the success of RE4, which was regarded by many as a fantastic game (not a fantastic survival horror mind you, but a great game in general). i mean there's that, and the fact that RE5 was released quite a few years before the 3DS version of revelations, and 6 was released around a similar time to 3DS rev, and a while before rev console release.

with any luck, capcom might finally be listening to what fans actually want for a change, revelations as a console/pc port, RE4 proper hd steam version, RE1 remake... it all sounds good to me.

unfortunately as much as i enjoyed them when i was younger, i've since tried playing games with the tank controls, and it just feels off now. i'm glad this is being released, but i'll pass.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
ChupathingyX said:
So what's the official unofficial name this one's getting?

RE-REmake?
reREmake?
REmake: The REmakening?
REsident REmake?
The RE Re-Remake.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
To all the people bitching about tank controls: what other kind of controls would go well with fixed camera angles?

I thought so.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
I know I probably shouldn't, but I'm a bit tempted to pick this up. Or I could just hunt down a cheaper copy of the original remake (?!) on Gamecube; but that won't be as special for not being the RERERemake. I wonder if anything other than the graphics will get an update? No, I'm not looking to get rid of the tank controls here. They're part of the magic.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Major_Tom said:
To all the people bitching about tank controls: what other kind of controls would go well with fixed camera angles?

I thought so.
Well, how about the type of Controls Resident Evil Outbreak had? It tied the controls to the camera angle - and if the angle changed, you didn't had to worry about the controls changing when you kept pressing (and only adjusted if you let go or noticably changed directions). It took a bit to get used to but once learned, it was a VERY intuitive type of control, that wasn't anywhere near as slow as Tank-Controls.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Any word on what content they will be stripping out to be resold as on-disc DLC?

OT: If this game proves to be popular, I wonder if they will do 2 and 3 also?

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
Bindal said:
Well, how about the type of Controls Resident Evil Outbreak had? It tied the controls to the camera angle - and if the angle changed, you didn't had to worry about the controls changing when you kept pressing (and only adjusted if you let go or noticably changed directions). It took a bit to get used to but once learned, it was a VERY intuitive type of control, that wasn't anywhere near as slow as Tank-Controls.
I was a bit puzzled by this because I remember Outbreak having tank controls, so I fired it up (*cough* *cough*, that PS2 was full of dust) and apparently it has "normal" controls when using analog and tank when using the D-pad. I'm fine with that, analog is useless for the tank controls anyway. But you also have to remember that Outbreak didn't have completely fixed camera angles.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Major_Tom said:

I thought so.
I always found it the ultimate irony that everyone who ever complained about the tank controls seemed to love RE4. Which had the exact same tank controls, except in an actual action game which made them feel worse than ever.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Myndnix said:
It does at least look good, but as long as it still has the gameplay style of RE games pre-4, I imagine it's age will stop most people from enjoying it.
quite the opposite for me I like pre RE4 game play better xD

OT: I wonder if more bonus modes will be added or a new monster like how gamecube added Crimson Heads

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
Major_Tom said:

I thought so.
did you play Resident Evil 2 on Nintendo 64?
as it turns out analog controls work just as good with fixed camera angles

personaly I prefer post RE 4 controls/camera but that won't stop me from playing this game again

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
Lot of people in this thread complaining about the unwieldiness of tank controls. That's the point. You're fighting zombies, control issues are the only reason they're a threat. With intuitive controls you can panic and just go FUCK and run the opposite direction. Tank controls let you get destroyed by panic, because they require patience. If you panic with tank controls, you're gonna get stuck on a wall. There wouldn't be a game here without the tank controls.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
good. was wondering when it will come out. i knew it will cost 20$. a game i always wanted to play when i heard about it in 2002 but was really sad to hear its only for GC. now i can finally play it. and even with better graphics.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
This is looking good. Also, for everyone worrying about the tank controls, I read in GI that they are giving options. One option being the original controls and the other a control scheme where your character just moves in the direction you press the stick in. So, you have a choice. And all of the other people telling you to stop complaining, don't listen to them.

Major_Tom said:

I thought so.
Plenty of games with fixed cameras had non-tanky controls. Devil May Cry for instance had fixed cameras and a control scheme where Dante went in the direction you pressed the stick in.