Florida Home Owners Demand Removal of TARDIS

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Florida Home Owners Demand Removal of TARDIS

So THIS, apparently, is where Florida decides to draw the line

The Doctor's [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/doctor%20who] faithful conveyance, The TARDIS, has carried its faithful occupant through battles with nemeses as varied and alarming as The Daleks, The Cybermen and even his fellow Time Lords. But now, they seem poised to face their most alarming foe yet: Floridians.

The Lexington Home Owners Association of Tampa Florida has levied a notice of violation against a resident couple. Their transgression? Having placed a life-sized replica of The TARDIS from The Prop Replica Forum [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/columns/highdefinition/12153-Doctor-Who-Season-8-Premiere-Reviewed-by-a-Newbie]), the Lexington HOA ominously describes the "blue call box" as being "in violation of The Governing Documents" and gives the couple a 15 day ultimatum by which to remove the space/time-travel vehicle.

The couple in question, for their part, seem to be taking the conflict in stride, posting to Facebook that:

"I'm slightly amused by this....I maintain this is a mode of transportation, therefore I have every right to park it in my driveway."

Source: The Nerd Bastards [http://nerdbastards.com/2014/12/31/florida-hoa-issues-violation-letter-on-fan-made-tardis/]

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
Truly worthy of the "my other car is a TARDIS" bumper sticker. They have my support.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Typical Florida, they just can't seem to make good decisions... Now to sit back and see what kind of fallout we get from this...

EDIT: Just for the record, I have nothing against Florida itself, I'm just amazed at all the stupid people that live there. I know not everyone in Florida is stupid, mind you... but I'm starting to think there's something in the water that causes folks to do really dumb things...

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
What the hell is wrong with people when their biggest concern is what other people put on their driveway.
Seriously, don't you have bloody life of your own?

Ben Halstead

Oct 6, 2012
We don't really have home-owners associations over here, but my understanding is that people who live in those sorts of communities do so on the understanding that they will maintain a certain look to their property, since this impacts the look of the neighbourhood.

As nice as I'm sure this couple finds their box, and as integral as it may have been to their wedding, it is quite probably in violation of the agreement they will have signed upon buying their house. Why not keep it inside, especially if it's really a memento of an important life event?

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Ben Halstead said:
We don't really have home-owners associations over here, but my understanding is that people who live in those sorts of communities do so on the understanding that they will maintain a certain look to their property, since this impacts the look of the neighbourhood.

As nice as I'm sure this couple finds their box, and as integral as it may have been to their wedding, it is quite probably in violation of the agreement they will have signed upon buying their house. Why not keep it inside, especially if it's really a memento of an important life event?
Because it's life sized. Not many places it would fit. The morons having whinge about this need to get over themselves. I only hope there wasn't some crappy stipulation about what they could have on their property.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Ben Halstead said:

There is definitely no such stipulation against blue boxes in existence. This falls out of their venue, not that I expect anyone in authority to take it seriously. The couple that loves Doctor Who I hope loves for life.

OT: Oh, those wacky Floridians! What will they think of next?

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Ranorak said:
What the hell is wrong with people when their biggest concern is what other people put on their driveway.
Clearly you have never interacted with a homeowner's association before. This is literally all they do all day every day; tell people what they can and cannot do on their property.

Nixou

Jan 20, 2014
Well of course they don't like it: first, it's basically a mobile home in the middle of a posh neighborhood, second, the bigger on the inside thing is bound crash real estate's value, third, there are suspicions of its space-hobo owner having had a transgendered girlfriend [http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Master#As_Missy] in the past: who will think of the Chiiiiiildren

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
Ranorak said:
The more you payed for your house, the more you worry what neighbors will do to theirs that might impair the value of your house.
Also if the owners association allows this, they will have to allow other stuff to.
To them it's like parking your rusty pickup-truck wreck on the drive way, and you know that you are in a good neighborhood if you see those.

But why don't they put is in the garden?
Its easier to claim it's a tool shed than a vehicle, unless it goes to court and the judge turns out a huge whovian.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
Home owners associations are ridiculous constructs and I do feel sorry for people that have one grow up around them, but if you buy a property governed by one then you do have to abide by its' rules.

EssThree

Oct 6, 2013
Is having neighbours being uptight about what's in your driveway a common thing in America, or is it just Florida that has a bug up its arse?

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Never, never, never move to a neighborhood with a homeowner's association. It might be set up to protect the property values there, but I'd say having a bunch of dictators controlling how you live is a bad compromise for that. You're better off finding an older neighborhood with trees, good distances, or privacy fences keeping the look of the houses separate, if your looking for that kind of insurance anyways. (Plus, you get to park your farm tractor, boat, and Delorean that needs some Mr. Fusion work done to it where ever you want and can hide those when it's time to sell the house.)

As far as the "considering it transport" joke goes, these HOA jackholes will gripe if you rent an RV and park it in you driveway for a day to pack up for the trip. Same thing with owning a boat, even a really nice new one. I think some HOAs gripe if you put it in the back yard.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
"I'm slightly amused by this....I maintain this is a mode of transportation, therefore I have every right to park it in my driveway."

Best response ever! :D

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I always just kinda thought that as long as it is on your property, it is of no real concern to anybody else. If that includes having a life-size TARDIS on your driveway, the so be it.

[small]Unless it is offensive or dangerous, then sure, go for it, complain away.[/small]

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
ForumSafari said:
Home owners associations are ridiculous constructs and I do feel sorry for people that have one grow up around them, but if you buy a property governed by one then you do have to abide by its' rules.
how can one grow up around you without your consent? we had a notion to start one about 5 years ago up here and it was promptly squashed when two of us on the block said no.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
ecoho said:
how can one grow up around you without your consent? we had a notion to start one about 5 years ago up here and it was promptly squashed when two of us on the block said no.
If an association covers an area and expands to cover your area, from what I've heard they can't make you join if you own the land but they can apply informal pressure.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
What they need to do is get Peter Capali round in his Dr Who get up and hide in the thing. When the HOA come round, he bursts out and goes full Malcolm tucker/12th doctor on them.

Nixou

Jan 20, 2014
Is having neighbours being uptight about what's in your driveway a common thing in America, or is it just Florida that has a bug up its arse?

Yes

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
luvd1 said:
What they need to do is get Peter Capali round in his Dr Who get up and hide in the thing. When the HOA come round, he bursts out and goes full Malcolm tucker/12th doctor on them.
I would pay money to see that I truly would.

This is so dumb to be whining about thanks florida.