276: Confessions of a GameStop Employee - Part Four

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
It was a really good article, but I hate to say that your "Gamestop Voice" is nothing special, it can be adopted by having any retail job. Because customers everywhere will always have a sense of entitlement, and a complete misunderstanding of the mantra "The customer is always right."

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Nevyrmoore said:
Nice end to this, but I have one gripe. Not about the article itself, but this comment about the way the industry is headed...

Digital distribution is already chipping away at their business model. A day will come when the lights go out on GameStops everywhere. It will happen. It's inevitable. Might be next year. Might be in 10 years. But make no mistake, it's coming.
I chuffin' 'ell hope not! When that day comes, we've effectively given away what rights we still have as video game consumers to the publishers, all in the name of "convienience"...
Agreed. Also, I am getting tired of people talking as if GameStop was the only game retailer in the world.

If you don't want to shop at GameStop, fine...then don't. Take your business elsewhere. That doesn't mean those of us who actually care about actually owning rather than just renting games (beacuse that is what digital distribution is; a renting service) should suffer. Especially not those of us who live in parts of the world where there is no GameStop and have actual good retailers instead.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I really enjoyed this series. Maybe you guys can bring another former game stop soldier in to take about their time behind the counter too.

Jaegermonster

Nov 7, 2008
I have a good counter story. I was an employee GameStop a few years ago. An assistant manager in training actually. The current assistant who was doing the training was secretly stealing thousands of dollars of merchandise from that store. It had been going on for a couple of years.

Within the span of 2 months since I started the manager was fired for incompetence and loss prevention dropped the hammer on the assistant.

I was eventually let go after because I didn't know most of the ins and outs of running a GameStop. Considering who was training me I thought they could give me another shot but whatever.

high_castle

Apr 15, 2009
And that's what it comes down to, eh? One more voice crying the end of retail and the rise of digital distribution. Like it or not, Gamestop isn't going anywhere fast. Too many people are averse to digital. And there are plenty of people out there with consoles that aren't even hooked up to the Internet, meaning digital will be hard to get. The used market is still mighty, and it's impossible to execute with digital merchandise. Plus, at the end of the day, too many people still like physical copies. 10 years ago people cried that books were dying and e-readers rising. It hasn't happened yet. The kindle is a niche tool and too many people like hard copies. I'm not saying digital will never take over, but it's a long way off yet.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Fr said:
anc[is]
Nevyrmoore said:
Nice end to this, but I have one gripe. Not about the article itself, but this comment about the way the industry is headed...

Digital distribution is already chipping away at their business model. A day will come when the lights go out on GameStops everywhere. It will happen. It's inevitable. Might be next year. Might be in 10 years. But make no mistake, it's coming.
I chuffin' 'ell hope not! When that day comes, we've effectively given away what rights we still have as video game consumers to the publishers, all in the name of "convienience"...
Yup. F that. When their servers do crash, NOT if they crash, when, We loose everything.
They aren't stupid... they back up your purchase record.

iamjonah

Feb 19, 2010
Two comments:

1)
It's probably already been said, but this series reminds me ALOT of "Acts of Gord":
http://www.actsofgord.com/

2)
One truly valuable skill I gained during my stint behind the counter was that I learned how to talk to strangers in a way that made them actually listen to me. I learned how to say "No" without seeming rude, learned how to get a crowd of people to line up in an orderly fashion during the holiday season; even learned how to effectively ask sugared-up children to stop running and screaming around the store. I still find myself constantly using what I call my "GameStop voice" - this voice of polite authority, this voice that I certainly didn't have before I worked at the store - in my day-to-day life.
To anyone reading this, LEARN THESE SKILLS! I currently make about $120,000/yr primarily using these skills.

Byrn Stuff

Nov 16, 2009
I find it fascinating that jobs can develop a particular, get-things-done voice in the employee. I teach high school English, and when I'm trying to corral my friends or family into some place or gain everyone's attention to explain something, I find myself using my teacher voice. The complete shift in tone, register, and projection is almost surreal.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
lacktheknack said:
They aren't stupid... they back up your purchase record.
And Steam has the nice little feature of allowing you to back up any game you purchase right onto DVD.

Lord Aronsworth

Jul 20, 2010
Country
USA
Yes, not all parents are bad. I had an awesome dad come in a few months ago. Big bag, $70 worth of sports games, still within that 7 day policy.

"Can I return these?"

"What... seems to be the problem with them?" (Obviously, I'm concerned about the amont of cash in the register; it had been a slow day)

"My kids disrespected me, so they don't get any rewards."

"Oh." (My face lights up, and give the man a fist bump) "I'd be happy to."

The game advisor working with me heard all this, came over, and shook the man's hand.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
this tale of working for gamestop was very interesing and funny.

makes me think about not applying to the local EB games.

Noble Korhedron

Aug 2, 2008
OMFG!! I was ROTFLMAO at Hagrid and at Soccer Mom in Part 3!! I was also silently praising Hagrid 'cause it looks like he's one of the ever-decreasing population of decent parents who actually take responsiblity for their kids!! Or at least, who'll actualy return said stolen game to the store, WTIH an apology!! BTW, if Ben is reading this, how long ago did you work in GameStop man? 'Cause you talk about N64 games like it was only yesterday, instead of nearly 10 years ago!?!

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
This was a great article. Sad to see it go, but glad to see it end well. I have a brother who is applying for a job at a GameStop, so perhaps I can get funny stories from him as well. Well done, Escapist, for putting up this story, and I hope to see more like it one day.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
Orekoya said:
Meanwhile: "Today I just tried to steal store credit from a local retail, was tricked into giving my home phone number, and am on my way home to my abusive father. FML"
That's a bit rude of an assumption don't you think? Just because he's Hagrid-sized doesn't make him an abusive father.

I'd be livid if my kid stole something. A smack on the head (or two) wouldn't be out of the question. It's just reinforcing the simple fact that STEALING IS WRONG, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU ARE PARTICULARLY STUPID ABOUT IT.