Hear The Sad Tale of Amumu's Curse in New League of Legends Cinematic

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Hear The Sad Tale of Amumu's Curse in New League of Legends Cinematic

"The Curse of the Sad Mummy" is the latest in Riot Game's amazing League of Legends cinematics.

Riot Games is making quite a name for itself as a crafter of "Get Jinxed" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124352-New-League-of-Legends-Cinematic-Twists-Fate] intro from 2013, and "The Curse of the Sad Mummy" - Riot's latest cinematic foray. Check it out to the right.

The new music video tells the story of one of League's most tragic characters - Amumu, the sad mummy. It explains that poor Amumu is cursed with eternal sadness and an inability to make friends, which occasionally cause the poor little guy to... tantrum. Rather violently. It's all wrapped up in an art-style that channels the likes of Tim Burton, and Don't Starve.

If you enjoyed the video, be sure to check out its creative spotlight page [http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/creative-spotlight/curse-sad-mummy], which has a full set of lyrics and some sweet wallpapers featuring the video's beautiful art.

It's always cool to see game developers expand on the lore surrounding their games with cool little things like this. Hopefully, it's a trend that Riot Games will continue!

Source: Riot Games [http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/creative-spotlight/curse-sad-mummy]

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
I hate LoL and it's control scheme, the positively hateful design choices it came across... But this video kind of makes me want to play it, just to see the character.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
It's always cool to see game developers expand on the lore surrounding their games with cool little things like this. Hopefully, it's a trend that Riot Games will continue!
They will, check out this video for Jinx, the games own crazy ass *****.

League of legends music started with her, and going by Amumu's video, it wont end there :p

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
arc1991 said:
Steven Bogos said:

League of legends music started with her, and going by Amumu's video, it wont end there :p
I still prefer the stuff for...crap what's his name? Brand? The bald guy with the mustache with the shield. His initial video "Trials of the Poro" is still my favorite, but the short cinematics they made for him on the website were also really good. The ones that told the tale of his legend. Still not as good as Trials of the Poro, such a cute little critter!

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Happyninja42 said:
arc1991 said:
Steven Bogos said:

I still prefer the stuff for...crap what's his name? Brand? The bald guy with the mustache with the shield. His initial video "Trials of the Poro" is still my favorite, but the short cinematics they made for him on the website were also really good. The ones that told the tale of his legend. Still not as good as Trials of the Poro, such a cute little critter!
U mean this guy?

His names braum xD this is Brand

But yeh, the Poro's are cute as fuck

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
arc1991 said:
U mean this guy?

His names braum xD

But yeh, the Poro's are cute as fuck
Yep! That's him! I loved his videos so much. I stopped playing right after they introduced him though, but I really enjoyed the lore they developed for him.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Beautiful video, too bad I really couldn't care less about Amumu. :p

Come on Rito, give us a cinematic with Karthus already!

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Much better than their previous atempts at "building character" which all boil down to "hi I am ___, look at me kicking ass" animasturbation.
Maybe one day I'll get to know just what that "league of legends" thing actually is and what bandle city and all those places that keep being manetioned actually are like without having to read footnotes.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
Very nice kind of makes me want to listen to more musical stories like this, shame I don't know any.

Edit: Can anyone catch what the lyrics are when he's standing on the cliff top? From what I can tell its "When he stood upon the ledge of Something"

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
Spacewolf said:
Very nice kind of makes me want to listen to more musical stories like this, shame I don't know any.

Edit: Can anyone catch what the lyrics are when he's standing on the cliff top? From what I can tell its "When he stood upon the ledge of Something"
From the little micro-site thing posted with the video:

Every child in Valoran has heard the tale before,
About the cursed mummy boy who felt his heart no more.
So sad and lorn, the helpless lad, Amumu was his name,
He ventured out to find a friend and learn about his bane.

For many years, young Amumu traveled through the lands,
Determined to make friends, if only they would understand,
But even when Amumu stood upon the ledge of home,
His hope would disappoint him, and he would remain alone.

But then the curse began to whisper in his ear,
And would confirm what was Amumu?s biggest fear,
It pledged that never shall someone become his friend,
It pledged that he shall be alone until his end.

The sorrow and despair,
Became too much to bear.

The moment when Amumu realized what he had done,
Too late it was, for him, for them, the evil curse had won.
The anger and the anguish overwhelmed his fragile soul,
And caused a wicked tantrum that he never could control.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
As someone who doesn't play League of Legends or know anything about it, I don't get it.

From the videos and art that occasionally shows up there's absolutely no artistic coherency. One moment you have Tank Girl shooting robots and the next is a cutscene with Gambit fighting a cartoon evil Scarecrow followed by a little girl with an evil teddy bear duking it out with a few Warcraft characters. Now we've got a Tim Burton character wandering around in a setting that already has everything from over-the-top post apocalypse characters to generic fantasy, various mythology, and the freakin' X-Men.

Is there any actual story to the game and setting or do the devs just throw everything they feel like into the mix? Because the trailers make it seem like there's a story but I just don't see how that works.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
The Madman said:
As someone who doesn't play League of Legends or know anything about it, I don't get it.

From the videos and art that occasionally shows up there's absolutely no artistic coherency. One moment you have Tank Girl shooting robots and the next is a cutscene with Gambit fighting a cartoon evil Scarecrow followed by a little girl with an evil teddy bear duking it out with a few Warcraft characters. Now we've got a Tim Burton character wandering around in a setting that already has everything from over-the-top post apocalypse characters to generic fantasy, various mythology, and the freakin' X-Men.

Is there any actual story to the game and setting or do the devs just throw everything they feel like into the mix? Because the trailers make it seem like there's a story but I just don't see how that works.
Well, They do occasionally change the art style in the cinematic, depending on the champion, but you are right about the mix. Amumu was also apart of the original 40 that the game came out with. The inspiration for the champions are all over the place, and the world has countries that are all rather diverse themselves.

The League itself was actually created as a "tournament" space so that arguing nations could send champions to fight the war in a more controlled environment, since they'd almost destroyed the world at an earlier point due to their wars.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
The Madman said:

The game was pretty much designed as fantasy archetype Ultimate showdown of ultimate destiny, so there's a lot of different sources coming in.

There's universal monsters,
generic lawful kingdom
dark evil fantasy doodz
east asia
the frozen north
steampunk land
fuzzy cute comic relief race
yarrr pirate/outlaw land
extra-dimensional alien monsters
mysterious desert
and some assorted things like Atlantis, anthropomorphic predators, SPARTAAAAAAAAA. etc

So the video team likes to switch art style around depending on the tone. There are also long-running skin themes like "robot apocalypse". Riot's spent years trying to consolidate the in-game art style but the remaining early stuff can be a bit off.

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
MCerberus said:
There's universal monsters,
generic lawful kingdom
dark evil fantasy doodz
east asia
the frozen north
steampunk land
fuzzy cute comic relief race
yarrr pirate/outlaw land
extra-dimensional alien monsters
mysterious desert
and some assorted things like Atlantis, anthropomorphic predators, SPARTAAAAAAAAA. etc
we also have legions of undead, gay gem loving dudes, talking and moving rocks, half animal demi-gods, a race of vikings, and a nine-tailed fox.

OT: this was really nice. the verse was beautiful and captured amumu's sadness quite well, the pictures went with the verse quite nicely too.

but i still prefer thresh's theme song. (background: thresh is a soul harvesting thing with a fetish for chains)

La Barata

Apr 13, 2010
Oh wow that's so great they expanded on the lore for league except not because there IS no lore they made it all non-canon

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
The Madman said:

There isn't a ton of one, but what story there is mostly consists of various city states in a constant series of political games and conflict with one another, with each city state or region having its own theme going on. Piltover is the steampunk city, Zaun is all sketchy mad science, Freljord is the frozen north with barbarian tribes, undead typically come from the Shadow Isles, Bilgewater is pirate island, etc. The world itself is a mish mash of pretty much whatever the fuck they feel like while thematic cohesion is generally relegated to individual regions to make every character feel like they come from the same part of the world, even if the world itself is kind of just all over the place.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
JaceArveduin said:
The League itself was actually created as a "tournament" space so that arguing nations could send champions to fight the war in a more controlled environment, since they'd almost destroyed the world at an earlier point due to their wars.
MCerberus said:
So the video team likes to switch art style around depending on the tone. There are also long-running skin themes like "robot apocalypse". Riot's spent years trying to consolidate the in-game art style but the remaining early stuff can be a bit off.
Gizen said:
There isn't a ton of one, but what story there is mostly consists of various city states in a constant series of political games and conflict with one another, with each city state or region having its own theme going on. Piltover is the steampunk city, Zaun is all sketchy mad science, Freljord is the frozen north with barbarian tribes, undead typically come from the Shadow Isles, Bilgewater is pirate island, etc. The world itself is a mish mash of pretty much whatever the fuck they feel like while thematic cohesion is generally relegated to individual regions to make every character feel like they come from the same part of the world, even if the world itself is kind of just all over the place.
So option 2 then; The devs are mostly just throwing everything in that they feel would be cool without much concern for a cohesive narrative or artstyle.

Hey, whatever works. It's neat that the devs do at least try to give the characters some, well, character at least even if it all looks like a confusing jumbled mess to outsiders like myself.

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
The Madman said:
So option 2 then; The devs are mostly just throwing everything in that they feel would be cool without much concern for a cohesive narrative or artstyle.

Hey, whatever works. It's neat that the devs do at least try to give the characters some, well, character at least even if it all looks like a confusing jumbled mess to outsiders like myself.
It's basically a lot like if you had the Dragonlance books and smashed it together with some Steampunk.

And have some lore stuff! Though I'm sure some of it's been retconned, they'll occasionally do that to the older champions to have tie-ins with new ones.

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Category:The_Journal_of_Justice_Issues