Review: Wolfenstein

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Review: Wolfenstein

Because the only good paranormal power-abusing Nazi is a dead one.

Read Full Article

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
I found the game to be a bit of fun.
Certainly gives me something fun-ish to play while I wait for the bigger titles.

Edit: Damn, Stuck on either the/1 of the last boss/es.
so hard to kill power abusing nazis...

Feb 13, 2008
I'm a teensy bit miffed you don't go up against Cyber-Hitler, but you can't have everything.

The Veil powers remind me an awful lot of that other Nazi Shred'emup BloodRayne though.

Rhayn

Free of All Weakness
Jul 8, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:
The Veil powers remind me an awful lot of that other Nazi Shred'emup BloodRayne though.
Came to my mind aswell.

Game itself looks fairly interesting, I might pick it up later if I have the money to spare.

Also, Susan, you managed to nigh-on perfectly replicate my friend's sister's session of Doom 3. She was running around with the BFG9000 yelling POOF! Every time she shot a demon.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Island said:
in the game can you put the camera behind you like in third person or is it just first person?
First person.

And the poof gun is awesome. My hope is that anyone playing the game will now be compelled to say "poof!" whenever they use it. I just love the mental image of a bunch of tough FPS fans yelling "poof!" :)

xenus87

Oct 20, 2008
ObnoxiousPotatoe said:
Leichenfaust is an odd name for a weapon. (a direct translation would be corpsefist)
That translation is sort of fitting. The gun fires out a ball of what seems to be gravity, which sucks the skin and muscles off your enemies, and throws the skeletons across the room, which turn to dust.

Only major problems I have with the game, is that the pc version is a carbon copy of the console version. All of the menus are made to be navigated with a controller, and sometimes makes them a it difficult to use.

Also the hit detection sometimes goes all screwey, it leaves you pumping bullets into and invisible corner of the wall your hiding behind, almost as if the walls model is slightly bigger than it actually looks.

jahsol

Jan 14, 2009
Ok wasnt sure if I wanted to play this but you convinced me with the "poofer" gun.

Bobbyskizza

Aug 24, 2009
I really had decided to give this a miss but i'm not sure i can resist the allure of the poof gun, maybe wait till its second hand and I can get it on the cheap though.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
xenus87 said:
ObnoxiousPotatoe said:
Leichenfaust is an odd name for a weapon. (a direct translation would be corpsefist)
Only major problems I have with the game, is that the pc version is a carbon copy of the console version. All of the menus are made to be navigated with a controller, and sometimes makes them a it difficult to use.

Also the hit detection sometimes goes all screwey, it leaves you pumping bullets into and invisible corner of the wall your hiding behind, almost as if the walls model is slightly bigger than it actually looks.
The original Wolfenstein games were pretty much the same type of menu, if you mean in terms of mouse usability.

The walls and props in just about every game are slightly larger than what you see. This is so the game's collision detector has a chance to stop you from going through the objects when you hit it at full speed. It has the unfortunate side effect of being shot sometimes. I can't say for sure about it's function in this game though, but it's definitely not just this game that has the invisible wall problem. Chalk it up to good physics, something which I'd say most games don't really need.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
xenus87 said:
Well, I will say that the physics are a bit off in places. A hospital bed managed to completely stop a rocket I'd fired -- that's some pretty sturdy construction. Certainly no worse than other games, though, and a minor complaint in a very, very fun game.

Triple G

Sep 12, 2008
The gameplay is as shit as in every FPS nowadays, but I really enjoyed the paranormal shit, especially a part in the start of the game, where you blow up a train packed with some blue paranormal goo or something and when it explodes, then it's zero gravity for some time. Or the part where you sneek up on a ceremony where a bad-ass nazi mage(bad ass because he had a nice leather coat and blue flames around his hands, dude, I wish I could do that) was summoning something and I just shot him in the back xD

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The Poofgun sounds more like a weapon that makes nazis come out of the closet.

Byers

Nov 21, 2008
This game looks and plays like it was a mediocre title made 10 years ago. Avoid at all costs.

If you really need a supernatural shooter right this minute, get FEAR 2 which was better.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
xenus87 said:
Well, I will say that the physics are a bit off in places. A hospital bed managed to completely stop a rocket I'd fired -- that's some pretty sturdy construction. Certainly no worse than other games, though, and a minor complaint in a very, very fun game.
I recommend upgrading Empower. It gets rid of all Schrödinger's Walls(you don't know if there's one until you shoot at it).

On topic of the review, i think there should be a section on the boss battles too, considering that they are a large part of the game. Hans in particular was very epic(and very trial and error at some points).

Also, how was the difficulty on the consoles? I found the PC version to be laughably easy, completing Uber in 10 hours 30 minutes and could have done it in less then 8 if i hadn't combed over the town 3 times for money for upgrades i didn't need.

Having no idea who Nightcrawler is and never having seen Hellboy, i assume that the scary nazi is the burning green skeleton that's immune to almost everything and has veil powers on it's own, am i correct? On the PC version they are also the most aggravating opponents in the game, zipping around and occasionally instagibbing me unless i get the drop on them with an empowered particle cannon. Which makes them the only credible threat that isn't a boss. Scribes like teleporting straight into my bayonet range, Ungesehen aren't that unseen at all and don't respond well to Veil and neither do the Drache Troopers or those female ninjas with 2 square feet of cleavage

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Asehujiko said:
Susan Arendt said:
xenus87 said:
I recommend upgrading Empower. It gets rid of all Schrödinger's Walls(you don't know if there's one until you shoot at it).

On topic of the review, i think there should be a section on the boss battles too, considering that they are a large part of the game. Hans in particular was very epic(and very trial and error at some points).

Also, how was the difficulty on the consoles? I found the PC version to be laughably easy, completing Uber in 10 hours 30 minutes and could have done it in less then 8 if i hadn't combed over the town 3 times for money for upgrades i didn't need.

Having no idea who Nightcrawler is and never having seen Hellboy, i assume that the scary nazi is the burning green skeleton that's immune to almost everything and has veil powers on it's own, am i correct? On the PC version they are also the most aggravating opponents in the game, zipping around and occasionally instagibbing me unless i get the drop on them with an empowered particle cannon. Which makes them the only credible threat that isn't a boss. Scribes like teleporting straight into my bayonet range, Ungesehen aren't that unseen at all and don't respond well to Veil and neither do the Drache Troopers or those female ninjas with 2 square feet of cleavage
It's definitely not the hardest game you'll ever play, but I wouldn't say it was laughably easy. Depending on your particular shooter skill, though, you may have a different experience.

The boss fights are a big part of the game, but I found them to be mildly disappointing. They relied a bit too much on "do X a specific number of times", which while classic boss construction, feels a wee bit stale. Still, they were grandiose and flashy, which is always good.

And no, that's not the guy I'm talking about, though those green bastards are pains in the ass. No, I mean the guy who first shows up in the hospital who's a cross between this guy [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mW2XN7egyE].