8 of the Most Awesome MMO Boss Fights

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
8 of the Most Awesome MMO Boss Fights

The pinnacle of the MMO is the boss fight, and these eight are some of the best (or most insane) MMO bosses ever.

Read Full Article

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
I understand it's a limited list so just picking Illidan from the burning crusades was probably a good idea, but omg BC had so many great raid bosses. Kaelthas was a raid wiper, with countless stages that needed to be done properly or you're fucked. Archemonde was loretastic and brutal. Karazahn may have been the easy dungeon, but it was so much fun. God, I could go on forever. Unfortunately Wow has felt cheaper and cheaper with each expansion pack and was never able to measure up to that greatness again.

Scy Anide

Redacted
Dec 7, 2013
As a long time WoW player I'll admit the only two fights that compared to the first time my raid killed Ragnaros in vanilla were the first time we killed The Lich King on 10man heroic before Blizzard started nerfing Icecrown Citadel and the first time we killed Sartharion with all 3 drakes up in 10man. I've never seen anything as hectic as Sartharion 3-drakes on 10man when it was relevant content. Sadly BC is the one expansion I didn't play much so I missed Mount Hyjal, Black Temple, and Sunwell Plateau.

WoW-leaning or not, I like this list.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
snekadid said:
Karazahn may have been the easy dungeon, but it was so much fun.
Heh and who could forget Shade of Aran and the "fun" that was folks wiping the party by running through the fire rings.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
There are a lot more epic bosses in SW:TOR than Soa from a mechanics perspective.

He was extremely epic in my guild though, because "Soa" is the abbreviation for "Sexually transmitted disease" in Dutch. His head is also shaped like a dildo and he drops big pillars shaped like anal plugs on the raid.

Oh, and before I forget: on hard mode and beyond you have to designate raid members to "eat his balls" (of lightning) too during the second phase.

You can not begin to imagine the joy this boss brought us.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
I found most of the Firelands bosses to be pretty fun. From the spider boss that was a bi-level fight, the molten giant that needed to be steered while fighting, the fire bird with the dogfight wave, the gate guard that required the tank to be supercharged, even Rags with his indy balls of doom.

Sure there have been some fights since that have had a a spark of creative content, but nothing to that level of concentration as that raid.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
snekadid said:
I understand it's a limited list so just picking Illidan from the burning crusades was probably a good idea, but omg BC had so many great raid bosses. Kaelthas was a raid wiper, with countless stages that needed to be done properly or you're fucked. Archemonde was loretastic and brutal. Karazahn may have been the easy dungeon, but it was so much fun. God, I could go on forever. Unfortunately Wow has felt cheaper and cheaper with each expansion pack and was never able to measure up to that greatness again.
I agree. BC had a ton of good stuff in it. I loved Karazhan, especially stuff like the Opera House, the Chess event and the Moroes fight. Kaelthas was crazy with all the stages. It was just a really solid expansion all the way through, especially in terms of raid content.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Surprised there was no mention of FFXIV: A Realm Reborn. In my opinion, the bosses are the only things that game has going for it. They're all pretty memorable in their own right

And Man

May 12, 2014
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Surprised there was no mention of FFXIV: A Realm Reborn. In my opinion, the bosses are the only things that game has going for it. They're all pretty memorable in their own right
I kinda got that impression too. Other than FFXIV: ARR (and early-ish MapleStory, though the bosses in that game don't really compare IMO), I never got far enough into any MMO's for any postgame raiding/boss battles, but some of the mechanics that were called out in some of the entries, such as positioning, tank-swapping, and raid-wiping abilities, are a big part most, if not all, of the tougher boss fights (especially raid-wiping abilities). Turn 9 comes to mind as a fight that could've fit on the list; quite a few phase-changes, many raid-wiping and insta-kill abilities, some cool mechanics, and the fact that there are two points at which you need a DPS/healer to tank an add or else the raid will wipe.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
I happened to play WoW pretty intensively back when BC came out, I got to see all the pre-Sunwell raid instances in their original glory, before they nerfed them all and removed the attunements. Kael'thas was goddamn epic.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
This should've been named "Top 8 WoW bosses" -_-'

I'm utterly dissapointed you didn't mention Ur-Draug in The Secret World.

Or this bad boy while fighting against angry undead mayans.

Master10K

Feb 12, 2010
It's a shame I don't see the Queen boss fight, from MCHM in TERA. Now for the longest time that was one of the hardest 5-man boss fights I've ever seen in an MMORPG, especially since it required players to learn the actual animations of the boss, rather than the names of the moves usually shown in a boss' cast bar in other MMOs. Plus she was so unforgiving in hard mode, as almost anything she did will instantly kill you.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
The thing about Algalon is that despite Blizzard joking about him being a raid killer, he was far easier to kill than Yogg'Saron.

When Ulduar was still current content, the order of difficulty from most difficult to least looked like this:
Yogg'Saron 0 Lights
Yogg'Saron 1 Light
Algalon
Yogg'Saron 2 Lights
Yogg'Saron 3 Lights
Yogg'Saron 4 Lights

In fact, it wasn't until many months after Algalon had been defeated that a Chinese guild finally managed to kill Yogg 0 lights. But they acheived this by stacking the hell out of Affliction Warlocks and abusing their drain mechanics.

And while Algalon was a cool fight in his own right, he was considerably less cool than Yogg 0 Lights, in my opinion. There's just no way you can beat fighting the Old God of Madness by entering its mind and driving it even madder.
Shit is not going to be fun next time old Yoggy shows his thousand faces. Because according to lore, Old Gods can't be killed, only temporarily banished.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
No Wildstar? ah well I can't blame you most people never even got to raids in that game.

C_sector

Jan 7, 2010
Why aren't Saruman (aka SOURman) and Draigoch from the lord of the rings online not in this list I wonder? Surelly they would be good enough and up to par with everything else on the list? Unles.... there is no love for Lotro? D:

Setch Dreskar

Mar 28, 2011
Aww damn was hopeful, even though Warhammer Online is back in an official fan run capacity only, that the Vulture Lord from WAR would be featured. It's an intense, mechanics heavy fight with multiple stages, lots of positioning and a brilliant light show to complement it.

Also yes I do mean official, Games Workshop has granted express permission for the Return of Reckoning team to bring the game back so long as they do not make any money from the endeavor.

Setch Dreskar

Mar 28, 2011
SupahGamuh said:

Oh god yes, my mind went to WAR first but Bluthulhu, as we refer to him at MMOGrinder, is the point in the game where we said that Secret World was perhaps our favorite MMO out there. Though I wouldn't put the mayan boss in there and instead offer up
Halina Ilyushin, also known as the first cosmonaut,
the final boss from The Facility dungeon.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Setch Dreskar said:
SupahGamuh said:

Oh god yes, my mind went to WAR first but Bluthulhu, as we refer to him at MMOGrinder, is the point in the game where we said that Secret World was perhaps our favorite MMO out there. Though I wouldn't put the mayan boss in there and instead offer up
Halina Ilyushin, also known as the first cosmonaut,
the final boss from The Facility dungeon.

I wish I could upvote posts like in Destructoid, I'd certainly want to :)

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
SupahGamuh said:

To be fair, besides the stage where everyone hides from Ur-Draug while he starts one-shotting people, its pretty much just a tank-n-spank. It is my favorite one, because dragon punching Cthulhu in the crotch area as a Chaos tank never gets old, but its not a very fancy fight.