Punch T-Rexes in the Face in Dragon Ball Online

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Punch T-Rexes in the Face in Dragon Ball Online

We don't know much about how the MMORPG based on Akira Toriyama's famous Dragon Ball manga is going to work, other than that it will prominently feature the ability to punch dinosaurs in the face.

Okay, okay - I'll be the first to admit that Dragon Ball Z was a guilty pleasure of mine when I was a bit younger, because as ridiculous as the whole "power up for three episodes, then kick a guy through a mountain" formula was, it was also kind of ridiculously fun. So, as the MMOG based on the franchise heads into closed beta in South Korea next month, it's interesting to see how the game is turning out.

Well, for one thing, it certainly looks like Dragon Ball, thanks to Akira Toriyama lending a hand and his unique style to the character designs, and the cel-shading works about as well here as it did in the recent Dragon Quest games (also designed by Toriyama). I'll be interested to see how much variation there actually is when it comes to creating a character, or for that matter if anyone is going to spend time creating an original-looking character instead of making "Gokuu" or "Pikkolo."

So the game takes place 200 years in the future from the end of the series, but there's apparently time travel in the mix or something, because the original cast will be returning as NPCs (at least Goku and Vegeta, probably more). Judging from the trailer, the game looks decent, has a cool-looking world, and some more-than-half-decent music to go along with it.

More importantly, though, is that however the game works, or however it integrates the original story and characters, it's ultimately made irrelevant for one simple fact: In Dragon Ball Online, you can jump into the sky and punch T-Rexes in the face. That's kind of a selling point in and of itself, don't you think?

As far as we know, there are no current plans to bring Dragon Ball Online to the West, but given the worldwide popularity of the Dragon Ball franchise, it seems sort of silly not to at least give it a shot. Gamers across the world need their dinosaur-face-punching action too, you know.

I'm totally rolling a Perverted Old Kung-Fu Master Hermit, guys. I hear they're mad OP.

(Via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5344986/hows-that-dragon-ball-online-mmorpg-coming-along])

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
This just makes me sad that Toei Animation shut down the "Dragonball Z: The Abridged Series" YouTube channel. :-(

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
What does the scouter say about it's power level though?
Since nobody else is going to do it.......

ITS OVER 9000!

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Punch dinosaurs in the face? I'm up for that.
But somehow I don't think it will turn out as well as the trailer makes out.

It's 1006.

[sub]Please Forgive Me...[/sub]

leet_chris

Apr 14, 2009
this is going to fall flat on its face, but its gonna have OVER 9000 people buy it. i had to throw it in there

Aug 17, 2009
Well, it's an MMO, so we know what it'll actually look like.

inb4someonefinishesthepowerlevel

leet_chris said:
this is going to fall flat on its face, but its gonna have OVER 9000 people buy it. i had to throw it in there

Shit, Ninja'd.

This-is-Hip-Hop

Feb 21, 2009
Gotta say, this has caught my eye, Cel Shaded graphics have always been a favorite style of mine, espically if its done by Toriyama. But im curious of how the combat system would work, espically with the amount of flying done, would it be turned based, or WoW style, with a Global Cooldown, either way, I agree with the T-Rex punching, we need more of that.

-This-is-Hip-Hop

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
Makes sense. punching dinosaurs has been in DragonBall since issue#1. Seriously.

CURSE YOU MEMES!!!

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Ollie596 said:
Since nobody else is going to do it.......

ITS OVER 9000!
WHAT!!! 9000

I have always loved the budokai games. Kind of hard to keep people playing with you though, after you launch a world killer.

stormcaller

Sep 6, 2008
I grew up on Dragonball Z, speaking of which this (as the title of the game suggests) is a whole bunch more Dragonball then Dragonball Z.

Although they kind of lost me when they said there were no Saiyan playable characters, not even like 1/72th Saiyan (Well if Goku died in 778 and Goku Jnr was 1/16th Saiyan in around 840 then by now the blood would be horribly diluted)

Yes, I did just fan-timeline a childrens show/game I'm never going to play.

Edit: To totally lose the slight of credibility I had as someone who is not forever nine years old, I'm assuming the time travel occurs because of Future Trunks who was shown briefly as the pages went by.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
xmetatr0nx said:
Man they all teamed up to kick the crap out of that dinosaur? I smell PETA...
10 year old girls in bikini making 20+ guys spew blood of hornyness? i smell, well i dont know if angry parents have their own group, but they smell.

i loved the books when i was younger but as the story proceeded or as i got older never knew what caused it, i lost interest, it was around book 34 or so, but from the looks of that trailer i probably wont start crying/hating online for it not being launched outside Asia.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Well if you want to be pedantic about it, it's over 8000, which is what the original Japanese rendition had the number as. The dub just put over 9000 because it sounded better.

Oh, don't look at me like that...

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
I wonder how many people it will take until characters will have to look the same. I respect Akira Toriyama's dedication to his art style, but I'm starting to get tired of seeing the same faces and hair styles over and over again. Either way, this looks pretty good, but until I see some gameplay footage, the hint of doubt will forever linger.

[small]Still waiting on Dragon Quest IX...[/small]

Quadtrix

Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to see how this will turn out. The Dragon Ball series is one of those animes that's just hard to emulate in a game.