Fire Emblem If Renamed, Coming West in 2016

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Fire Emblem If Renamed, Coming West in 2016

Fire Emblem If has been re-named Fire Emblem Fates and will arrive in North America in 2016.

Read Full Article

Sep 13, 2009
Fire Emblem If has re-named Fire Emblem Fates and will arrive in North America in 2016.
I think you mean to say "has been re-named", I read that sentence over several times before figuring out what it was supposed to be from the rest of the article

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Good news, the name is slightly less stupid.

Bad news, we're getting the Pokemon deal now...joy. Pure and utter joy. Well, I'm praying to Christ that there's enough of a difference between the two to justify buying good games. If not then Nintendo can fuck off.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
The Almighty Aardvark said:
Fire Emblem If has re-named Fire Emblem Fates and will arrive in North America in 2016.
I think you mean to say "has been re-named", I read that sentence over several times before figuring out what it was supposed to be from the rest of the article
Thanks much for catching this!

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
God dammit, I want this game now T^T

Looks so good!

KenAri

Jan 13, 2013
I'm glad. If was a really stupid name. If. If what?

The premise is awesome; two perspectives on the same war. Perhaps no distinct good/bad guys like there are in the other games. Could be very interesting. =)

Modern setting though? Fire Emblem with guns and tanks? That doesn't sound quite right. Playing Awakening made me miss the colourful hair styles from previous games. This one will make me miss swords and spears. I really hope by 'modern' they just mean 'Not fantasy', and still keep the medieval setting. Not a fan of guns.

EDIT: I'm a goof.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
erttheking said:

Bad news, we're getting the Pokemon deal now...joy. Pure and utter joy. Well, I'm praying to Christ that there's enough of a difference between the two to justify buying good games. If not then Nintendo can fuck off.
This is from Fire Emblem Wiki (assuming if it is correct)-
Each version of the game will change the format of overall gameplay outside of the storyline.

The Hoshido path will have a traversable map similar to Awakening, Sacred Stones, and Gaiden. The player can level up characters outside of the storyline chapters by paying a fee to initiate a Skirmish, similar to using a Reeking Box. Like Awakening, map victory conditions will mostly be either rout the enemy or defeat the boss.

The Nohr path will be more structured, having no external battles outside of the storyline chapters much like most previous Fire Emblem titles. Experience and funds are much more limited and more victory conditions will be present such as defending a base, breaking through the enemy lines, and turn restrictions for certain maps.

OT- So far, this game and that Dragon Quest game are the only future games I am looking forward to far from E3 Nintendo. Bare in mind, I just got back from work so I am taking in the recent games news right now.

EDIT- Oh yeah and Hyule Warriors!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Scarim Coral said:
erttheking said:

This is from Fire Emblem Wiki (assuming if it is correct)-
Each version of the game will change the format of overall gameplay outside of the storyline.

The Hoshido path will have a traversable map similar to Awakening, Sacred Stones, and Gaiden. The player can level up characters outside of the storyline chapters by paying a fee to initiate a Skirmish, similar to using a Reeking Box. Like Awakening, map victory conditions will mostly be either rout the enemy or defeat the boss.

The Nohr path will be more structured, having no external battles outside of the storyline chapters much like most previous Fire Emblem titles. Experience and funds are much more limited and more victory conditions will be present such as defending a base, breaking through the enemy lines, and turn restrictions for certain maps.

OT- So far, this game and that Dragon Quest game are the only future games I am looking forward to far from E3 Nintendo. Bare in mind, I just got back from work so I am taking in the recent games news right now.

EDIT- Oh yeah and Hyule Warriors!
Well good, at the very least I'll feel like I'm buying two games and not paying the price of two games for just one.

Thanks for the info!

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
I loved Awakening and have been a fan of the Fire Emblem series as a whole for a while now, but this 'two games' thing is bullshit. Locking away half the games content behind a paywall is ridiculous, especially in an era of absolutely massive games like Witcher 3 or Fallout being sold at regular price.

Can't agree with it no matter how Nintendo spin this one, I really can't.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
erttheking said:
Well good, at the very least I'll feel like I'm buying two games and not paying the price of two games for just one.

Thanks for the info!
I still don't understand why some people got FE:IF's game model confused with Pokemon, when it's been almost half a year since it's initial announcement with plenty of translation news and Videos about the game.

Just adding stuff, besides the different playstyles the story will be different depending on where you start. There's basically 2 routes with one more final game as an E-shop game/DLC. And buying 1 version, will make the other and part 3 50% off if you buy them from the E-shop.

So in theory the story goes like this
Nohr > Hoshido > Part 3
or
Hoshido > Nohr > Part 3

Ninja Edit: For the post above me : SEE that's what I meant with people still confused about the model
They're not locking content, these are 2 different game with one interlocking story line depending on where you start the game.
Also Each game is claimed to be as long as Awakening.

Rahkshi500

May 25, 2014
Fappy said:
God dammit, I want this game now T^T

Looks so good!
Same here! I enjoyed Sacred Stones and Awakening a lot, and I am intrigued by some of Fates' new features, especially My Castle.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
This is more like the Zelda Oracle games than anything because the gameplay is radically changed. Looking forward to it.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
The Madman said:
I loved Awakening and have been a fan of the Fire Emblem series as a whole for a while now, but this 'two games' thing is bullshit. Locking away half the games content behind a paywall is ridiculous, especially in an era of absolutely massive games like Witcher 3 or Fallout being sold at regular price.

Can't agree with it no matter how Nintendo spin this one, I really can't.
I've heard people defend it on the premise that each version is really like a full game in length and content, and only share (IIRC) the first five chapters. You can also buy the other game's story as DLC for half the price of the full game, and a third version with both stories and a new one where you don't align with either side will be released later.
I'm not really sure whether that excuses it, to be honest. I might forgive them if each story is long enough to justify the price.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
KenAri said:

The premise is awesome; two perspectives on the same war. Perhaps no distinct good/bad guys like there are in the other games. Could be very interesting. =)

Modern setting though? Fire Emblem with guns and tanks? That doesn't sound quite right. Playing Awakening made me miss the colourful hair styles from previous games. This one will make me miss swords and spears. I really hope by 'modern' they just mean 'Not fantasy', and still keep the medieval setting. Not a fan of guns.
Did I miss something? I have saw nothing saying it would be modern day. Most of the stuff I've seen had swords, spears, and pegasuses (Pegasi?)

KenAri

Jan 13, 2013
kenu12345 said:
KenAri said:

Did I miss something? I have saw nothing saying it would be modern day. Most of the stuff I've seen had swords, spears, and pegasuses (Pegasi?)
I went back to find a source and realised I goofed my reading; was a different game that mentioned modern settings. Cheers for the comment!

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Halyah said:
You can also buy the other game's story as DLC for half the price of the full game, and a third version with both stories and a new one where you don't align with either side will be released later.
There is no "Third version", the Eshop exclusive one is just the 3rd route where you need both games to even play it, that's why they have the 50% discount thing going one, where buying one discounts the rest.