New World of Warcraft Expansion To Be Announced Next Week

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
New World of Warcraft Expansion To Be Announced Next Week

Blizzard will unveil a new expansion pack for World of Warcraft at this year's GamesCon event.

Well that was fast. announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/warlords%20of%20draenor?os=%20warlords%20of%20draenor] that the a new expansion pack for World of Warcraft saga will be revealed at this year's GamesCon event next week.

"Join us Thursday, August 6 at 9 a.m. PDT for a special World of Warcraft event streamed live from GamesCom 2015 in Cologne, Germany-where we'll be unveiling the next chapter of the World of Warcraft saga. . . ." posted Blizzard in a blog.

It also said that the following Sunday, August 9, Blizzard would be hosting a special World of Warcraft developer chat where devs will further explain and detail the upcoming expansion.

That's all the info we have to go on right now, no hints on where (or given the recent timey-wimey stuff going on in WoW, when) the new expansion will be set. Popular fan theories in the past have pointed at an Emerald Dream or Azshara-based expansion (complete with playable Naga!), but as we ended up with kung-fu pandas the time before last, it's really anyone's guess.

Source: Blizzard [http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/19841681/]

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Man, I can't wait for World of Warcraft Age of the PonyKin and see all of Azeroth filled with technicolor colored magical ponies. The Forums will be filled with fanboys claiming that no really, its just a coincidence! They're not copying off anything at all!

But then again that would actually be smart and keep WOW going for another five years. Ten if you're allowed to play as the ponies.

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
Silentpony said:
Man, I can't wait for World of Warcraft Age of the PonyKin and see all of Azeroth filled with technicolor colored magical ponies. The Forums will be filled with fanboys claiming that no really, its just a coincidence! They're not copying off anything at all!

But then again that would actually be smart and keep WOW going for another five years. Ten if you're allowed to play as the ponies.
I'm still dreading Whimsyshire making it to Heroes of the Storm so don't even joke about that!

In all seriousness, Blizzard promised a faster turnaround for expansions, so I guess this means they are keeping their promise?

ffs-dontcare

Aug 13, 2009
I am prepared... to be disappointed.

Actually, that might be a bit difficult given how disappointed (and annoyed) I already am with the current expansion but hey, I'm at least interested in seeing how my predictions will pan out.

While Blizzard got a few things right with Warlords, they also got a lot of things wrong. So I guess I want to see their next take on the concept of, "one step forward, two steps back".

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
ffs-dontcare said:
I am prepared... to be disappointed.

Actually, that might be a bit difficult given how disappointed (and annoyed) I already am with the current expansion but hey, I'm at least interested in seeing how my predictions will pan out.

While Blizzard got a few things right with Warlords, they also got a lot of things wrong. So I guess I want to see their next take on the concept of, "one step forward, two steps back".
Like a Thanksgiving turkey still defrosting on Thanksgiving morning, "YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

Ahem!

OT: I'll buy it because I'm a WoW shill, and I want to at least experience the game on every expansion until Blizzard decides to end it. I'm hoping that it turns out to be something meshing the neat things done in Warlords with more epic stuff that hasn't been seen since Wrath. I'll mic drop with one word: "Ulduar"

EbonBehelit

Oct 19, 2010
The overall reception to WoD is so tepid that Blizzard can't afford to wait till Blizzcon to announce the next expansion. They need to build hype ASAP.

Meanwhile, Diablo 3 is still slowly chugging along with the slow, but steady improvements.

It's kinda amusing really: Diablo seems to be the only one of Blizzard's 'Big Three' that's not on the decline in a big way. A few years back, nobody could've seen that coming.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Wuvlycuddles said:
Silentpony said:

I'm still dreading Whimsyshire making it to Heroes of the Storm so don't even joke about that!

In all seriousness, Blizzard promised a faster turnaround for expansions, so I guess this means they are keeping their promise?
Not before we get the Cow King, dangit! WE REQUIRE MORE MOOOO!

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Huh. Gotta admit that at this point I go "That's still a thing?" whenever I hear anybody mention World of Warcraft.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Wuvlycuddles said:
Silentpony said:

I like how they're thinking. WoW's biggest weakness for most of its existence was stagnation; two or three major content patches per expansion, but often the last patch would be there for half a year or longer before they even announce the next expansion. It drove me to quit Cataclysm because Dragon Soul was the only raid for months, and it likewise drove me to quit MoP because Siege of Orgrimmar was the only raid for almost a YEAR.

However, WoW is on the slow decline. More frequent content releases will slow it down further, but WoW is very much beginning to show its age.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Hopefully the next expansion is "World of Warcraft: Chicken Little" as an homage to their fans.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
I'm out of the loop, are people still bitching about Pandas or has something else been going on with WOW these days? Hard to keep track of these expansions

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Seems to me they cant get away from WoD fast enough... that would explain the complete crash of the WoD story last patch with everyone holding hands despite the countless of deaths a certain orc caused with his iron horde.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Cue the subscriber count crashing once again because Blizzard can't figure out how to make proper fucking story, balancing or indeed do ANYTHING right anymore.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Well it'll be interesting to see if the alleged leak that recently started going around on the forums turns out to be true or not if nothing else.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
So soon? But it feels like Warlords of Draenor only just released. Jeez.

Also, if it is an expansion based around Naga and trolls: Fuck that shit. I find both of those races painfully boring to start with, so the last thing that I need is for them to base a whole expansion around them.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
The only thing I can ask for is giving the horde and alliance legitimate reasons to fight eachother again.

At this point, they've had so many joint operations to save the world their high ranking generals should be fist-bumping eachother when they meet again.