Rockstar Stops Updating GTA Online For PS3 And Xbox 360

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Rockstar Stops Updating GTA Online For PS3 And Xbox 360

If you want to get all the new GTA: Online content, you'll have to upgrade to the current console generation (or be a PC gamer).

Bit of bad news for those of you still gaming on a PS3 or Xbox 360. The latest GTA Online update - Freemode Events - won't be making their way to the last generation consoles. In fact, Rockstar announced today that no further content would be developed for the old consoles, and if you wanted to enjoy the steady stream of free GTA Online updates, you'll have to either upgrade to an Xbox One or PS4, or join the PC Gaming Master Race™.

This move has been a long-time coming, however, as Rockstar mentioned back in May [http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/52429/asked-answered-the-rockstar-editor-gta-online-updates] that the day old consoles would stop being supported would eventually come:

"As we mentioned previously, we always knew there might be a point where we would reach the technical capacity of what the older generation of consoles can handle as each downloadable update requires additional memory both for assets and for additional scripting. We have continued to optimize the entire game over time in order to squeeze as much memory as we possibly could out of the last-generation hardware and at some point, continuing to add content for those systems could cause the risk of instability to the game overall."

It looks like the Freemode Events update has finally brought about the beginning of the end for last generation. The good news is that Rockstar has no intention to stop supporting GTA Online servers for the old consoles, so while you won't get the new updates, you'll still be able to play the game.

Source: Kotaku [http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2015/09/10/rockstar-will-not-be-updating-gta-online-on-xbox-360-or-ps3-any-more]

Ylla

Jul 14, 2014
The 360 version was nearly unplayable with so much freezing, this was bound to happen. At least they got Heists.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Same as the 360 version, PS3 was victim to multiple freezes. I still think that it's bullshit they're dropping it though. I just find it as a big middle finger to everyone who is an owner though.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
How much longer will the consoles still have online service anyway? I remember hearing it would be at the end of the year some months back, but that doesn't seem right.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I don't own the game, but every time I read something like this, it makes me a little sad. I have great memories with my PS3 and my 360, and while I own a PS4 and plan on getting a Xbox One soon, I still have those old consoles hooked up. I still play on the PS3 regularly, and seeing stuff like this just reminds me that it is slowly being sent out to pasture. More and more developers and players are leaving it for the new stuff.
It's like watching a grand tourist attraction slowly crumble because the tourists just don't come anymore. A sense of depressing mortality I suppose.

ServebotFrank

Jul 1, 2010
I feel bad for the people who were promised that a PS4 and Xbox One version was definitely not happening so they bought the last gen versions before the new gen ones were announced. Then they refrained from buying the new version and they're now fucked.

That sucks.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ylla said:
The 360 version was nearly unplayable with so much freezing, this was bound to happen. At least they got Heists.
Elfgore said:
Same as the 360 version, PS3 was victim to multiple freezes. I still think that it's bullshit they're dropping it though. I just find it as a big middle finger to everyone who is an owner though.
I don't know, the 360 version is playable enough to get a level 200 character mostly playing one night a week.

This seems like a pretty small middle finger, though, or rather a continuation of the same one last-gen players have been getting for a while. GTA has been poorly handled since launch. In fact, they've managed to botch two online launches--last gen and current--and still don't seem to know how to handle servers in a competent fashion.

I don't know. I did expect them to be more quiet about this. And maybe last a little longer.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Elfgore said:
Really? After two years of free content not going any further because the consoles cant handle is a middle finger?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
josemlopes said:
Elfgore said:
Really? After two years of free content not going any further because the consoles cant handle is a middle finger?
I hesitate to say it, but some of these rants smack of entitlement. Its a fairly put statement to say that GTA Online has outgrown consoles that are about 10 years old...

schtingah

Jun 1, 2011
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
josemlopes said:
Elfgore said:
I hesitate to say it, but some of these rants smack of entitlement. Its a fairly put statement to say that GTA Online has outgrown consoles that are about 10 years old...
Is it really entitlement to expect to receive everything that other people get for a product you paid full price for?

Bindal

May 14, 2012
schtingah said:
josemlopes said:
Elfgore said:
Is it really entitlement to expect to receive everything that other people get for a product you paid full price for?
Well, those people didn't pay for the same product, they paid for a inferior product out of the box and they knew it. So, they, they are acting like they're entitled to get stuff their console can't even handle anymore.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
schtingah said:
josemlopes said:
Elfgore said:
Its more that it seems a bit of wishful thinking to get updates for a game that already pushed the envelope for systems near 10 years old. A PC of that age would not be able to handle what a modern one would, why should a console be held to a higher standard than PC's when the inherent standard is that PC's can do more? A 10 year old PC would framelag like hell trying to play World of Warcraft in its current state, it may not even actually run at all. And the cost of upgrading, well at that point building/buying a new PC would be expensive, pretty much as upgrading to a better console.
GTA V at some point would no longer be viable, by Rockstar's own admission, and choosing to discontinue their development for a system that could no longer support the direction they are going is transparent and honest from the beginning. So yes, if the owners of the PS3/360 versions kept up with such things, then they were advised that development would eventually halt.
So yes, it does seem somewhat an entitled to cry foul when it was known already that Rockstar was pushing the limits of those console games as it is.
Is it greedy of the developers to do this? No, they made the game as widely available as possible to the consumer, but the people who have the better system by default will get more out of their game. Simple as that. And the previous generation owners got a full game, complete with all the single player and a good chunk of the multiplayer versions.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Bindal said:
Well, those people didn't pay for the same product, they paid for a inferior product out of the box and they knew it.
No, we paid for the only version that existed and the one Rockstar lied about when they said would be the only version. There was no "inferior" version. GTA broke records on day 1, and continued to sell when there was only one generation of GTA software.

Neither is it realistic to expect advertised content.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
schtingah said:
But the PS3 and XB360 did get everything that others also paid for. These free updates to the Online component are free extras, not to mention their extras that are literally impossible to add to the game on the old hardware because the software is already pushing the devices to their limits. I have the PS3 copy and I am happy with it, I got my money's worth (the full GTAV experience with an online componant) and agree with the others that it's stupid to complain about not receiving FREE DLC which the old hardware cannot handle.

Putting it another way, this is like complaining that the PS4, XBO and PC versions have higher resolution textures and extra features like 1st person view. The fact is they have these extra parts because they can handle it, the old hardware cannot and complaining about it is very much being entitled in the bad way.

Something Amyss said:
No, we paid for the only version that existed and the one Rockstar lied about when they said would be the only version. There was no "inferior" version. GTA broke records on day 1, and continued to sell when there was only one generation of GTA software.

On the other hand, this is something worth complaining about. The lies by Rockstar about the development of the next gen and PC versions.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RicoADF said:
These free updates to the Online component are free extras
No. They were an advertised portion of the game. They were a selling point of the game. And people praised them for this before they even saw what the updates would entail. Back when heists were still a full year away, despite being another advertised portion of the game.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Something Amyss said:
Bindal said:
Well, those people didn't pay for the same product, they paid for a inferior product out of the box and they knew it.

Where was "equal updates for all versions" advertised? Or the next update itself? As far as I know, Heists were only thing advertised and not part of the game (and those turned out to be crap in execution)

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
schtingah said:
josemlopes said:
Elfgore said:
That would be self entitlement "entitlement" means actually being entitled to something as opposed to thinking you are entitled to it.

I'm sorry I don't mean to be a jerk but the rampant misuse of that word is one my current biggest pet peeves. I don't even have anything against your arguments.

I'll show myself out now.