Middle Eastern Character Rashid Revealed for Street Fighter V

Conrad Zimmerman

Dec 24, 2013
Middle Eastern Character Rashid Revealed for Street Fighter V

Second of four new characters demoed in Dubai.

At the GAMES15 event this week, Street Fighter V designer Yoshinori Ono revealed another of the new characters set to join the World Warriors in the upcoming title, Rashid. The new character hails from the Middle East, wears a keffiyeh, and appears to have some mastery of wind.

A trailer demonstrating the character in action has been released.

Speaking with IGN Middle East [http://me.ign.com/en/ps4-ps4/111326/news/street-fighter-v-features-middle-eastern-character], Ono commented on the challenge of designing Rashid as a company with few Middle Eastern employees. To make the character, Capcom collaborated with Sony and regional distributor Pluto Games.

Rashid is the second of four characters making their first appearance in Street Fighter V. The first, Necalli, was unveiled in July. Other characters confirmed to be in the game's initial 16 character roster include Ryu, Chun-Li, Nash, M. Bison, Cammy, Birdie, R. Mika, Vega, and Ken.

[gallery=4696]

Street Fighter V will release in 2016 for PC and PlayStation 4.

Sources: IGN Middle East [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNut_Q0sAv0]

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
See, now this is actually the kind of diversity that I like - with the minorities that actually ARE underrepresented.
ParasiteX said:
Talk about poor timing to reveal a middle eastern character.. This character was released yesterday.. on 9/11 of all days..
Well that's pretty racist on your part.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
He looks like he really wants to protect the pride of the Saiyan race!!!

Jokes aside. One of the cooler looking new introductions.

404notfound

Nov 9, 2009
BX3 said:

I know, right? I keep wanting to ask him "what's his[the opponent's] power level".

OT: I like his design and his move set looks really cool too. Also, more variety of character is always appreciated.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
Hmm, while I'm not particularly surprised, I'm a little annoyed that the article talks about the character design and spouts the entirely expected "omg this guy is middle eastern!" as if, he's an actual real person.

While certainly worth a mention in passing, for people who actually care about these types of games, it'd be useful to know more about his moveset and what range he plays well at and of course what kind of technicals/reversals the character has.

Hopefully people can see what's wrong with how most places are reporting this "news"...

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
You know what? I like the guy. Not my type of character, but I like him design wise and his super looks both cool and goofy (in a good kind of way).

My biggest fear, though, is that at every SFV EVO tournament we'll see this guy played by at least half of players because this guy has a goddamn divekick. Goddamn it.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
The biggest surprise of this story to me is that there's an IGN Middle East.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
While he look cool and badass but why does he got a singlar sunglasses/ goggle/ monicle and why is he wearing a backpack aswell. Sure his design is somewhat sterotype abit but yet again the franchise is known for having such exaggerated characters.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
Scarim Coral said:
While he look cool and badass but why does he got a singlar sunglass/ goggle/ monicle and why is he wearing a backpack aswell. Sure his design is somewhat sterotype abit but yet again the franchise is known for having such exaggerated character.
Not sure about the Scouter, but it seems that this back pack is the device that actually creates winds he uses.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
So he's a man from the Middle East, mixed with some Dragon Ball style, and given the powers of an airbender?

:D Neat.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
ParasiteX said:
Talk about poor timing to reveal a middle eastern character.. This character was released yesterday.. on 9/11 of all days..
If you think that's bad, on the date of the Pearl Harbor attack, they revealed Ryu :p

I remember that Miles923, the guy I often rely on for Fighting Game Coverage, did tear into people who were saying it was in poor taste to reveal this character on this date, namely stating that not all brown skinned people are terrorists.

Besides, he's from Egypt.

OT: I've heard that his wind powers are based off Tech rather then magic, so that and the Scouter makes me think he might be some kind of special ops agent like Cammy.
All in all, I really dig his design, but I'm still holding out for Zangief to make it into this game.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
BX3 said:

I was wondering who was going to ask what the scouter says about his power level.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Mister K said:
My biggest fear, though, is that at every SFV EVO tournament we'll see this guy played by at least half of players because this guy has a goddamn divekick. Goddamn it.
It's less about the fact he has a divekick and more about what kinda frame data it has.
That and I think all his hoping and rolling around makes me think he's going to be tricky to use, kinda like El Furtae from SF4.
If anything, I think R. Mika will be more suited, she has a freaking assist character, I can already see the pros cracking some crazy set ups right now.

EMWISE94

Aug 22, 2013
My only disappointment is that his wind shenanigans are from his backpack device and not him, he was so close to being Whammu! other than that, liking his look a lot, I was wondering which character I was gonna main for the game, my first choice being Nash but now Rashid takes that spot.

ParasiteX said:
God forbid that people from the middle east should exist on that day too, I mean jeez who do they think they are, being alive and in no way being responsible or possibly even having knowledge of an event that took place 14 years ago. A tragic event yes, but the world isn't constantly looking for a chance to mock America or whatever, honestly these kinds of comments just seem sad, Maximilian Dood made a comment about how its purely coincidence and all and also this reveal was at Games 15 in the UAE so obviously Capcom were gonna reveal a character that would resonate with the audience there.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
RealRT said:
See, now this is actually the kind of diversity that I like - with the minorities that actually ARE underrepresented.
ParasiteX said:
Well that's pretty racist on your part.
To put it mildly.

FFS, he's Middle Eastern not Al Qaeda. I don't even want to think about how he'd react if new Prince of Persia were announced. And 9/11 was 14 years ago. In the US. The world doesn't revolve around it.

The guy looks cool as fuck. He does have a bit of a Dragon Ball vibe going on mixed with some Jafar.