Call of Duty: Black Ops III's 'Realistic' Mode Gives You One Shot at Success - Literally

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Call of Duty: Black Ops III's 'Realistic' Mode Gives You One Shot at Success - Literally

Call of Duty: Black Ops III's brutal 'Realistic' mode kills you after one shot.

XboxAchievements [http://www.exophase.com/game/call-of-duty-black-ops-iii-ps4/trophies/], Director Jason Blundell described the unforgiving mode, which kills you after a single hit.

"[In Realistic] you have one point of life, so if you're shot once, you're dead," Blundell revealed. "It completely changes the way you play the game. You all have to survive as a group. You end up respecting the level in a completely different way, and once gunfire opens up, everyone just drops to the ground, because if any one bullet hits you or a grenade goes off near you, you're dead."

The AI has also been rewritten to "make independent decisions," he added. "We have more types of AI than we've ever had before."

Blundell also recently revealed that Call of Duty: Black Ops III will have all campaign missions unlocked from the start [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142808-Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-III-Lets-You-Skip-to-the-End], allowing players the ability to skip anywhere in the game - even to the end - in the interest of player choice.

Call of Duty: Black Ops III, which was revealed by Neilsen to be the will not include a singleplayer campaign [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142734-Nielsen-reveals-Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-III-As-the-Most-Anticipated-Holiday-2015-Game].

Alex Baas

Dec 2, 2011
Am I actually getting excited for a Call of Duty game? Is this a thing that is actually happening? The end times must truly be near at hand

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Alex Baas said:
Am I actually getting excited for a Call of Duty game? Is this a thing that is actually happening? The end times must truly be near at hand
Yea, I may end up picking this up myself. I'm actually interested in it because they're putting what sounds to be real effort into the campaign.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
You are promising so much, Treyarch. You have my trust, because you guys still know how to make the campaign fun, but I worry you may be over-promising.

But if you guys manage to pull this off...hot damn!

Still though, one bullet? If that's the case, I hope this AI rewrite makes it so these guys don't have sniper-level accuracy with a shotgun from the other side of the map. There have been a few times in Call of Duty where the enemies are way too accurate for what is going on.
I hope this isn't like Dead Space 2, where if you die you are sent ALL the way back to the beginning, because I hated that. At least show mercy and give up checkpoints.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Eh, I've always liked these games. They always present solid FPS mechanics and really try with the stories even if they do go over the top.

But Treyarch is a particularly good studio for these kinds of things. They're also the first studio to successfully implement bots in regular multiplayer which I thought was amazing. I look forward to seeing their work.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
Treyarch, you've been my preferred COD developer for since World at War. Don't fail me now!

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
This sounds pretty interesting, though that's actually not realistic since most people will, in combat, not only survive the first bullet they get hit buy, but a large number can continue to fight for hours after betting shot.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
I already decided I was getting Black Ops 3 after experiencing the beta. I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected. Last CoD I played was Blops 2, and I didn't even enjoy it all that much.

Blops 3 however, and its rather amusing "borrowing" from both Titanfall and Destiny with it's movement system and super abilities, actually gave the core gameplay a ton of fresh air. I didn't play Advanced Warfare, but from what I know, the stuff like wall-running is unique to Black Ops 3.

The multiplayer consist of Characters vs Characters, instead of Generic Russians vs Generic Americans. Each character with their lines of dialogue and taunts. Reminds me a bit of TF2, a bit of personality and silliness in Multiplayer is always appreciated. There's no logic as to why there's 2 identical Sparrows on opposite teams killing each other, but who cares!

The super abilities are interesting. Some are ridiculous, some don't seem too useful, but apparently a lot of touches have been put into place for the characters based on beta feedback, so maybe it won't be so bad. Although CoD wouldn't be CoD if the multiplayer wasn't a mess of broken/overpowered stuff.

Also, I decided to look up some info on Blops 3 zombies. I stopped caring about zombies in Black Ops 1, when it became too repetitive and samey. And came upon this:

Jeff Goldblum, Heather Graham, Neal McDonough, and Ron fuckin' Perlman?

Treyarch, you had my attention. Now... I'm excited.

Also, this difficulty mode sounds cool too. I wonder how this would work out in the coop mode.

Xorph

Aug 24, 2010
But what if I get shot in the foot? I'm pretty sure I'd live through a bullet to the big toe.

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
Xorph said:
But what if I get shot in the foot? I'm pretty sure I'd live through a bullet to the big toe.
Hey, baby steps. CoD finally made a bullet to the head as deadly as a knife to the toes, instead of being bullet sponges with CNS in feet. Give it time, maybe BlOps V will have hitbox based damage, just like CS 1.6 had!

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Tohuvabohu said:
I already decided I was getting Black Ops 3 after experiencing the beta. I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected. Last CoD I played was Blops 2, and I didn't even enjoy it all that much.

Blops 3 however, and its rather amusing "borrowing" from both Titanfall and Destiny with it's movement system and super abilities, actually gave the core gameplay a ton of fresh air. I didn't play Advanced Warfare, but from what I know, the stuff like wall-running is unique to Black Ops 3.

The multiplayer consist of Characters vs Characters, instead of Generic Russians vs Generic Americans. Each character with their lines of dialogue and taunts. Reminds me a bit of TF2, a bit of personality and silliness in Multiplayer is always appreciated. There's no logic as to why there's 2 identical Sparrows on opposite teams killing each other, but who cares!

The super abilities are interesting. Some are ridiculous, some don't seem too useful, but apparently a lot of touches have been put into place for the characters based on beta feedback, so maybe it won't be so bad. Although CoD wouldn't be CoD if the multiplayer wasn't a mess of broken/overpowered stuff.

Also, I decided to look up some info on Blops 3 zombies. I stopped caring about zombies in Black Ops 1, when it became too repetitive and samey. And came upon this:

Jeff Goldblum, Heather Graham, Neal McDonough, and Ron fuckin' Perlman?

Treyarch, you had my attention. Now... I'm excited.

Also, this difficulty mode sounds cool too. I wonder how this would work out in the coop mode.
That looks really cool but I generally hate the entire setup of their zombie games. The controls seem far harder to control and the feeling that I can never win is just frustrating. So I've never really been on board with these side games.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Lightknight said:
That looks really cool but I generally hate the entire setup of their zombie games. The controls seem far harder to control and the feeling that I can never win is just frustrating. So I've never really been on board with these side games.
Yeah, I understand what you mean. From the beginning, the zombies mode seems to be set-up in a way to make it exceedingly difficult to actually succeed, many games just end in failure. It's more along the lines of seeing how far you can get, rather than winning.

It doesn't seem like it will be too much different this time. There's 2 maps, which apparently have their own stories. But one map is reserved only for special editions of the game. The map that trailer is advertising is the one everyone will have access to, and treyarch says the map will be huge and dense. So, I suspect it will take a ton of effort to complete the map.

However, the zombies mode will apparently have it's own progressions and unlocks. So it may have a lot more to offer as far as variety goes as before. I do want to try it out, but it's just one of the things I'm interested in for this game so far.

Sep 24, 2008
we talk a lot about realism... but can you really have this type of realism?

I admit the last call of duty game I bought and placed was MW3. That's four years ago, and I really don't know how much the AI has been ramped up (and I realize they said they'll have different AI's).

But from what I remember, I was sniped yards and yards away with enemies who seemed to know not only exactly where I was at all time, but were able to call on Gaia herself to wind-correct each bullet so it had a clear path to my brain.

Will AI have the same one bullet death fear? Or will they all just stand and fight and blast away with endless bullets?

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I think a "realistic mode" would be cooler if the game would respect where you are hit and by what caliber weapon. I think a soldier will survive multiple low-powered shots to the torso, while wearing a bullet-proof vest. But it might strike the air out of his lungs and make him black-out for a couple of seconds.
Also, there is such a thing as strafe shots and flesh wounds that won't stop someone from fighting. However critical but non fatal wounds could mean your mates have to patch you up and carry you around - or decide to leave you behind until you bleed out.

That would be a more interesting realistic mode.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
It still probably won't be as brutally unfair as World at War's Veteran mode, and I actually managed to finish that.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Treyarch liar said:
The AI has also been rewritten to "make independent decisions," he added. "We have more types of AI than we've ever had before.
No it has not. Why even say something like this when it's obviously not true? If enemy AI can make independent decisions can I expect it to just drop the gun and walk off screaming "fuck this shit, I'm out"? No, I can't. Because it's programmed to do only a specific set of things related exclusively to combat. Just because an AI can choose whether to duck, run, shoot or go to cover doesn't mean it's making independent choices. It means that it's no longer 100% scripted like every AI in every CoD game ever. It means that it's an actual bot. Nothing more. It's nothing to be excited about.

Mar 30, 2010
So CoD's multiplayer 'Hardcore' difficulty is finally coming to singleplayer? Great news, I guess (as I love 'Hardcore' MP), but I fail to see how a decade-old MP setting (longer, if you include Goldeneye's 'Golden Gun' mode) making it into SP is anything to shout about. They should've been including realistic modes for the SP campaign for years IMO.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
Treyarch liar said:
The AI has also been rewritten to "make independent decisions," he added. "We have more types of AI than we've ever had before.
No it has not. Why even say something like this when it's obviously not true? If enemy AI can make independent decisions can I expect it to just drop the gun and walk off screaming "fuck this shit, I'm out"? No, I can't. Because it's programmed to do only a specific set of things related exclusively to combat. Just because an AI can choose whether to duck, run, shoot or go to cover doesn't mean it's making independent choices. It means that it's no longer 100% scripted like every AI in every CoD game ever. It means that it's an actual bot. Nothing more. It's nothing to be excited about.
I read that as "AI doesn't just bum-rush" and "grenades aren't all tossed in unison".

Last CoD I played to any significant degree was Black Ops 2, so maybe they improved the formula in the last 3 years but I recall the series being more like a glorified sequence of partially disguised horde modes. The AI would break cover and rush your position while your firing and they would do this with alarming regularity. It's like D-Day and every enemy is rushing the entrenched gun nests.

I say this as someone who actually likes Treyarchs variation of the CoD formula. At least their stories are vastly more entertaining. They also always add some novel twists to the multiplayer and they even started the extra Nazi Zombies game which I loved to play with friends.

They certainly earned my respect when they put a playable Zork easter egg in Blops.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Only criticism is that its called 'realistic' mode. Because yes, everyone drops dead instantly the second their hand is hit by a bullet in real life.

If you want realistic, keep a reasonable level of health, the human body can actually survive a whole lot of damage, at least temporarily, and remove health regeneration - in its place is health degeneration, where the more damaged you are the quicker you die over time.

This would still cause people to drop to the floor the second a firefight starts, as you've got limited resources that do not replenish, and where getting hit - whilst it won't kill you immediately - will start you on that path very rapidly.

Still, a 1 hit kill mode is at least a bit more interesting. Still wouldn't buy it, CoD has never done it for me, but hell, its something very slightly different for the series.

Morti

Aug 19, 2008
Tiamat666 said:
Also, there is such a thing as strafe shots and flesh wounds that won't stop someone from fighting. However critical but non fatal wounds could mean your mates have to patch you up and carry you around - or decide to leave you behind until you bleed out.

That would be a more interesting realistic mode.

But, in gameplay terms, what is the difference between your last sentance and a 1 hit kill? Both render you unable to continue playing.