280: Psycho Mantis, Qu'est-ce que c'est?

Mr. Purple

May 1, 2008
DTWolfwood said:
Yes sir, Psycho Mantis is my favorite boss in MGS.

Just curious tho, am i the only one who didnt swap out the controller and simply shot the flying busts out of the air to achieve the same thing? Cause you know, im lazy and breaking those didn't involve me getting up XD

There was another 4th wall breaking in MGS2 or 3(been too long >.<) where snake or raiden was escaping naked after being tortured. Campbell (in all his skull face glory) kept hounding you to stop playing the game. I thought that was an excellent lvl as well.
<color=purple>Also my favorite boss.
And would you consider the convincing to switch game discs a 4th wall breaking? lol. I always liked that part.

I've always enjoyed that sort of interaction with the real world. It brings the hero/villain Deadpool into mind. He also has a 4th wall breaking. He realizes that he is in a comic and often explains what he is doing to the reader and looks toward the reader while talking. But nobody will believe him of course. He is thought to be insane and being inside a comic is just ludicrous.
Characters that can interact with people in more than a fictional sense are rather intriguing. :eek:

Fatal-X

Feb 17, 2010
Ha ha, you know, when I played MGS for the first time I actually beat Psycho Mantis without switching for the second controller. Yeah, it was a lot of bullets ^^.

Bebus

Feb 12, 2010
I hated this boss. Any part of a game you cannot beat without being told specifically what you need to do it just stupid.

samwise970

May 2, 2010
Am I the only one who doesn't understand these articles? All you're doing is quoting an ACTUAL article, and adding some useless commentary that doesn't add anything to the discussion.

This wouldn't be a good forum post, much less a good article.

Also, while a huge fan of the Metal Gear games, I didn't love the Psycho Mantis battle the way everyone else seems to. Maybe it's because I didn't play MGS until after MGS2 came out, and it wasn't really new.

samwise970

May 2, 2010
Oh and btw, MGS breaks the fourth wall all the time. The frequency on the back of the case, and Otacon flat out telling Snake to change the disk are two examples that come to mind immediately.

Sikachu

Apr 20, 2010
Brendan Main said:
A remake of the game is on the GameCube
However funny your next point was (and it was funny), there's really no excuse for bringing up that horrifying travesty of a game, much less linking to a place people could buy it. Unless you happen to think gaming should be about broken level design that doesn't take into account the player's abilities (basically every level is most easily cleared now by standing still at the begining and shooting first person until everthing in the room is dead) or over the top cut-scenes that make Die Hard 4 look realistic.

Sikachu

Apr 20, 2010
Straying Bullet said:
Never knew he existed. Sounds like a shit load of fun and sounds like a reason to obtain that specific game. MGS never attracted me...Oh wait, no PS3.
Get a PS1...

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
Why do so many people like psycho mantis? Also, there were two other ways of beating him, people seem to ignore both, the first was shooting or punching him, he only dodges most of your shots, the second was to smash the statues, effectively the same as switching controllers.

EarthBoundGiygas

Aug 16, 2010
I was thinking of making a song outta psycho mantis and Psycho killer. But i never got the chance, great title though.