EA Executive Talks About "Re-Engineering" the Industry

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Executive Talks About "Re-Engineering" the Industry

Electronic Arts Chief Creative Office Richard Hilleman recently talked about his vision for the future of videogames, including the continued emergence of casual gaming, the harm caused by used game sales and why Korea is a better bellwether for the industry than Japan.

Hilleman joined EA all the way back in 1983, copying discs and packaging games. He moved up the ladder quickly, helping to create early EA Sports franchises including the Madden NFL series, and became chief creative officer last year. Speaking at the Hot Chips conference earlier this week, Hilleman talked about the "re-engineering" of the videogame industry as it shifts focus from the hardcore demographic to the more ubiquitous and lucrative casual crowd.

Unlike previous generations of gamers who wanted to be completely immersed in a game for hours on end, casual gamers are more interested in playing in short bursts, while "family game nights" means people often rent a game and play it for just one day. "If I sell to them, I can't dominate their lifestyle," he said. "I have to fit into their lifestyle."

And as the hardcore gamer is superseded as the primary target market, the platforms that appeal to them the most are also beginning to struggle. He said both Sony and Microsoft have been left exhausted by the current round of the console wars and probably aren't in any mood to go at it again anytime soon. "I expect we'll see a PlayStation 3.5 before we see a PlayStation 4 and an Xbox 560 before we see an Xbox 720," he said. "The biggest shift is how fast packaged goods games are changing and going away."

EA holds about 25 percent of the "traditional packaged goods PC game market," but sales in that segment have either remained flat or declined. Hilleman blamed much of that on piracy and used game sales; most videogame sales take place within the first three to six weeks of a game's release, after which sales of used copies, from which publishers make no money, become dominant. That lack of a long tail ultimately ends up hurting the industry.

He also held up South Korea as an example of a market where gaming has grown to appeal to a vast and varied audience. There are 28,000 "internet game rooms" in South Korea, he said, and roughly half of the country's population plays games ranging from StarCraft to "fashion games for girls."

"If I want to go to see the past of gaming, I go to Japan," he said. "If I want to see the future, I go to Korea."

The emergence of mobile gaming will also have a major impact on the industry, he said, pointing out that much smaller development teams are required to make games for systems like the iPhone, Nintendo DS and PSP. He said the iPhone was part of the "democratization of game development," serving as a low-cost entry point for new talent looking to break into the industry.

He predicted that the acceptance of gaming will eventually become "total," as the older generation of non-gamers dies off and new technology like the Wii Remote continues to attract and convert more and more people. And as the industry continues to expand its market and adopt new business models, he continued, it will become "vastly more profitable."

Source: VentureBeat [http://games.venturebeat.com/2009/08/26/eas-chief-creative-officer-describes-game-industrys-re-engineering/]

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Hilleman blamed much of that on piracy
Or you could blame it on people deliberatley not purchasing EA products as a big ol' middle finger towards invasive DRM schemes, the like Spore and Red Alert 3 had.

Just a thought.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
Is it just me, or does a random EA Executive talk about "re-engineering" the industry every week?

Seriously. Shut up EA.

Supreme Unleaded

Aug 3, 2009
NO NO NO NO, your wrong, no more shit casual games, I want more better games that acually give me a lastng experience. And handhelds are terrrable to me, they seem pointless since when im not home i DONT want to play games.

Casual games are slowly making harcore games less and less good because the developers are going to try and let more audiences join their game, those audiences are usually casual gamers so the companies have to dumb down a could be masterpeice.

brewbeard

Nov 29, 2007
Or you could blame it on people deliberatley not purchasing EA products as a big ol' middle finger towards invasive DRM schemes, the like Spore and Red Alert 3 had.

Just a thought.
He also cited the used game market. Retail stores don't buy or sell used PC games. I think it'd also help if they stopped with the half-arsed console ports and resolute no-post-release-support stance, but they can't blame that on gremlins-in-the-machine.

Beatrix

Jul 1, 2009
And the end of real videogaming takes another step forward.

Any bets on how long we have to look forward to? 5 years? 10?

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Beatrix said:
And the end of real videogaming takes another step forward.

Any bets on how long we have to look forward to? 5 years? 10?
The end of videogaming has been coming since the PS1 era. I'm still waiting.

And last time we talked about used games hurting the industry, didn't someone fro the industry tell us to STFU? So yeah, he can kiss my left nut on that one, especially considering the used PC game market at bricks and mortar retail doesn't exist.

And as for Korea, when they make a game that either isn't an MMO, or a TF2 Rip-Off [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvaQbntJ4Yw], I'll factor them into the equation.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
You EA people make me sick. Talking about "re-engineering gaming industry" while constantly releasing SEQUELS AFTER SEQUELS or crappy games with untapped potential (Mirror's Edge, WAR that is about to roll over and die), or just DRMing the hell out of every game (Spore, C&C).

Supreme Unleaded said:
NO NO NO NO, your wrong, no more shit casual games, I want more better games that acually give me a lastng experience. And handhelds are terrrable to me, they seem pointless since when im not home i DONT want to play games.
My Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor disagrees with your bold theory. I'm already on my 3rd play-through, with a second of about 5 or 6 different paths and endings for them.

Also, iPhone sucks. It's basically a Nintendo DS without worthwhile games and without the option to control the games NORMALLY. Like a normal person, without touching and scratching the screen.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
brewbeard said:

Just a thought.
He also cited the used game market. Retail stores don't buy or sell used PC games. I think it'd also help if they stopped with the half-arsed console ports and resolute no-post-release-support stance, but they can't blame that on gremlins-in-the-machine.
That's a point. The only used PC games I see in shops are ones so old they may as well be freeware, and even then it's only CeX which sells used PC games. Their PC game section is smaller than their anime section and - as anyone who knows anything about the British Anime dvd market could tell you - our selection for anime is generally on the shittier end of wank.

hansari

May 31, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
And as for Korea, when they make a game that either isn't an MMO, or a TF2 Rip-Off [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvaQbntJ4Yw], I'll factor them into the equation.
Hahaha...thats a joke right? Thats just an anime mod or something right?...right???

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
Like all CEOs or rep's, once you sift through the corporate speak and bullshit you get the real message which for EA is something like this:

"More people are gaming but we still arent making the money we want to make. So we're going to be going digital and throwing out more games to the casual market, cause the Wii is booming and we want a piece of that action."

Its a shame though, because there are a lot of problems for gaming companies and they are all under pressure to make money now that production costs are on the rise and more and more people are buying pre-owned games.

Which is why from this day forward, I will buy more new games and less used ones to help support the industry. If I can convince 10 more people to buy ONE more NEW game a month, I could help the industry. Because I love the industry :)

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
HardRockSamurai said:
Is it just me, or does a random EA Executive talk about "re-engineering" the industry every week?

Seriously. Shut up EA.
Lol, they need something to take up their time between bad games.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
hansari said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
Hahaha...thats a joke right? Thats just an anime mod or something right?...right???
*sigh* I'm as serious as a heart attack on this one, that's very much real. You know we had people defending it on this site as well?

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Uh oh. EA is being stupid again. They're starting to remind me of Activision, and so help me, if they agree with Activision about prices, then they'll be three steps away from being thrown off a cliff.

galaxygamer

May 23, 2008
Since when have second-hand video game sales hurt game makers? If Company A makes 100 copies of a game and sells them all, they made profits! If EA makes X number of copies of a game, and those copies sell, EA made money! How does a person-to-person sale or trade between Little Billy and Little Ed hurt EA? It does not! These greedy assholes really need to stop worrying about money, money, money, and start making good games, games, games.

Second-hand sales have never hurt game companies. It actually does the opposite: If Little Billy sees that Company A makes a great game, he'll probably buy from them after trying out one of those games.

Oh, while I'm thinking of it, these big game companies, like EA, would love to see the decline of second-hand sales because it would mean more profits from them. Why rent or borrow a game when you simply have to buy it to play it? Wait for it: It is only a matter of time before it is suggested by EA and others that second-hand sales are an infringement of copyright laws. Therefore, it would be illegal to lend out a game to a friend, or sell it back to a boutique, all the while EA and other greedy game companies (which is almost all of them) are laughing their greedy asses off to the bank.

mjp19xx

Oct 22, 2008
I would love to purchase new games, and I do sometimes purchase games on release day. However, I do not purchase new copies of games that are more than a couple of months old due to the fact that publishers lower the new prices at a rate that is much too slow. You would think that they would prefer to make a little bit of money as opposed to none at all. Why would I buy Prey new for twenty dollars when I could buy a used copy for seven. If it were ten dollars for the new copy that is the one I would buy.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
So the man who helped start Madden and other "franchises" wants to re-engineer the industry...

I thought the world we have today is quite bleak enough thank you.

Death isn't good enough for these people, they should be slowly skinned alive, extremity by extremity, making sure to carefully wrap them in bandages permeated with salt and left to expire in a town square somewhere as an example.