281: Rated E for Everywhere

clarissa

Nov 18, 2010
K. said:
Can anyone recommend a children's games for the DS that gives a sense of adventure, does not require reading and is actually good?
Kirby Mouse Attack
Kirby Canvas Curse

Both difficult games. Prepare your touch screen.

clarissa

Nov 18, 2010
MelasZepheos said:
I hate the Wii and I won't be getting Kinect for reasons of not-caring and money, so that's one whole subset of what he's recommending right out of the window.
I think the Kinect looks kinda silly, but why don`t you like Wii?
There are really good games with good story-telling for it.
Muramasa and Fragile Dreams, for instance.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Lord_Gremlin said:
HankMan said:
Lord_Gremlin said:
One seeks in games what one can't get in real life. What most of us can't do in real life? Exactly. Disembowel and decapitate our neighbors and/or enemies. And there you have violent games.
Well you can't dodge giant frosted donuts in a candy factory floating in the sky in real life either.
Well, the natural human desire is not to dodge food, but to eat it.
So a diabetic wouldn't dodge a frosted giant doughnut?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I always laugh at the people who won't play a game because it looks kiddy. I've seen quite a few cool guys say this when Team Fortress 2 was brought up in conversations.

You know if you're gonna let something like that get to you, then don't complain about games looking the same ya know?

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Hehe. Conker's bad fur day comes to mind here.

It has the art style of a typical 'kiddy' game, but the content is anything but safe for viewing by children.

It contains so much crude humour...

Well, let's just say a game with drinking, swearing, sexual content, and some seriously morally dubious behaviour is not one that kids should be playing.

And yet... It looks just like your average kids game.

Perhaps this explains why it didn't sell so well.
It was too much of a contradiction for most people to understand?

Oh well. What a pity that people are so narrow-minded.

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
Each of those games requiring you to just "kill guy AA00 to ZZ99"... now that is boring.

And what there is to complain. I don't need that shit and keep myself entertained in L4D2. I must say it's much more gray at places than any of those. Still, you need to kill the guys, but that quickly becomes secondary to teamwork in harder modes and requires a lot of attention.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Fumbleumble said:
Seriously?

You agree with it being snobbery for an adult not to want to play a kid's game?

REALLY?

OK then, what about this side of the arguement... maybe with you're willingness to accept kid's games as a viable pastime, you're not quite as mature as you think you are.. read: immature. :eek:
If you insult someone for enjoying a different style of gaming, then you're the immature one. Some genres are mostly E-rated (platformers and adventures come to mind), and--as the article says--they tend to have a beautiful, colorful art style.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
I agree with the article. Unfortunately, I don't own a DS or a Wii (nor do I intend to), which is where most of the "good" kid-friendly games quoted in this forum are based (exclusively, it seems).

I'll always have Little Big Planet (and the sequel when it comes out), which I love, but is about as kid-friendly as I can take.

I'm not saying my inner child has gone away, he just likes to burn things and crash monster trucks together. He's a little special.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
starwarsgeek said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Jack and Calumon said:
Calumon: Sonic's getting better now. We just needed a little patience! ^^
Pretty sure he meant Sonic 4 and/or Sonic Colors
Pretty sure I was making a joke.

Although if Free Riders is the THIRD in the riders series, then something is wrong.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
I never read the original aticle, and now I don't want to. People complain about originality because it looks the same, so do several movies, books, and any other medium. Originality is something hard to do in any industry, and even if something is original, it doesn't mean it will be succesful, sometimes it has the opposite effect, how many people even remember or bought folklore? Complaining about how something looks like something else should be ignored unless it was obviously heavily based on another.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:
Although if Free Riders is the THIRD in the riders series, then something is wrong.
On the other hand, I enjoyed Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing when I rented it a while back. Closest thing to an HD Mario Kart until next generation.

OT: I'm glad this article reminded me of a boy and his blob...playing it again right now :D

Nichole Jones

Nov 27, 2010
Playing online math games is helpful for children to enhance their creativity and intelligence. However, parents should decide what is good for their kids and what not. There are several online game sites like aafter.com that offer educational kids game at free of cost.

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
starwarsgeek said:
Fumbleumble said:
Seriously?

REALLY?

OK then, what about this side of the arguement... maybe with you're willingness to accept kid's games as a viable pastime, you're not quite as mature as you think you are.. read: immature. :eek:
If you insult someone for enjoying a different style of gaming, then you're the immature one. Some genres are mostly E-rated (platformers and adventures come to mind), and--as the article says--they tend to have a beautiful, colorful art style.
JESUS.. RTFT next time.

He took the high ground first, I was just turning it around.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Fumbleumble said:
starwarsgeek said:
Fumbleumble said:
Seriously?

REALLY?

JESUS.. RTFT next time.

He took the high ground first, I was just turning it around.
First of all, if you want other readers to know the context, then quote the person you're replying to. Secondly, someone annoying does not make your post valid. Finally, being rude doesn't help the impression of immaturity that the first post gave. Sorry bud.