London Has Fallen - And It Can't Get Back Up

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
London Has Fallen - And It Can't Get Back Up

London Has Fallen is an unnecessary sequel to a bad movie, but there's a bit of fun to be found here.

Read Full Article

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Please, please tell me that the prime-minister is actually Cameron in this flick and that we get to see him die...please!
I vaguely remember the first film, you couldn't get much more "Handsome American Chin" than Eckhart, could you? The embodiment of the US idol, best utilised now for irony's sake.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Not going to lie, Butler's one-liners are more than enough to carry this movie into the realm of enjoyment for me.

It's solid enough as an action movie, and his character's unashamed psychopath humor is just too enjoyable to pass up. It's like Dexter if you swapped out Dexter's persistent moodiness and sprinkled in just a touch of the Joker.

In any case, it's nice to see a break from the 'heroes' who are always hesitant about killing, doing it because it's their duty, living with the guilt, trying to find another way, blah blah blah. It's a relief to watch a character kill bad guys and simply be pleased with himself because he's killing bad guys.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
To be fair to Gerard Butler, for most of his career he has been stoned out of his head on pain killers.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
ravenshrike said:
I'm sorry, back up for a second. The vastly superior White House Down? What are you on and where can I get some? While a rather rote action flick, OhF still managed to be light years ahead of WHD. Arguably, WHD only really works if you consider it a parody of OhF.
You know, I was going to say he probably just googled some ratings given that I doubt anyone actually remembers White House Down well enough to make such a statement. But then I did so, and on rotten and imdb, WHD and OHF are practically identical, so I'm just not sure what he's talking about.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Hang on, the "vastly superior" White House Down? Aka The Bloodless Adventures of Channing Tantum as He Shoots Everyone who was Ever Mean About Obama? Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? As for this film, I had to wonder if it was a zombie apocalypse or piss-take at first, simply because the tagline "Prepare for bloody hell" seemed too self-aware. Still, I liked Olympus Has Fallen so I'll check this one out when it comes to TV.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Eh, more critical tripe. It sounds like people were expecting more out of Olympus has Fallen and now this one, than should be expected from an action film. It was a fine movie that Butler more than carries to be honest. The first movie, which was not very noteworthy, wasn't bad in my opinion. The action was stupid good, it had a decent amount of suspense, and some of the scenes were truly brutal and believable. I find certain criticisms very strange. The generic John McClain remark, for example. Action movies where the "hero" is a little whiny neckbeard just don't make sense. Action movies with this type of characterization are meant to be a fantasy, a fantasy just about every reviewer misses the point on entirely. It's meant to feel good when the good guy wins at the level the good guys win at in these movies. The fantasy is that we could all step up like they did in that same situation and be the pivotal character of change in a dire situation. That is why they make the characters somewhat simple but ultimately likable.

Also, White House Down was a completely different animal, the two are actually hardly comparable if you are speaking about anything beyond the basic plot. I know, progressives loved that movie because it offered a fantasy about a person of essentially weak character actually doing something that wasn't crying. That said, I enjoyed both movies but for clearly different reasons. One is essentially an a strict action movie, while the other is a comedy with a bit of drama thrown in. Both good for completely different reasons. But I would expect a critic to not actually see the broad differences in favor a specious, out of place comparison.

PS. I enjoying being a person critic over a movie critic, in case no one could tell.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, I thought WHD was much better than OHF. The latter is rubbish chest beating patriotism stuff, the former realised the idea was stupid and turned it into a silly buddy movie where one buddy was Obama.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I realise that this is just a dumb action movie but can somebody explain to me why when London is being blown up the only one who can save us is one random American?

Regardless the first one was kind of fun for what it is so I might try and see this one. That being said as someone who has actually seen a part of real life London get blown up I might give it a pass. Not exactly something I like having to remember.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Gizmo1990 said:
I realise that this is just a dumb action movie but can somebody explain to me why when London is being blown up the only one who can save us is one random American?
Sure, it's not one random American. It's one bodyguard of the man whom the entire terrorist group is focused on trying to capture/kill. So obviously, it's going to give the guy a bit of a lead on the issue when all the bad guys keep coming to him, saves a lot of investigating time.

That said, if the character wasn't around, the plot would have wrapped up around the same time in the same place while being handled by the Brits (although they still have to wait for the NSA to find the bad guys for them, naturally). The only thing the random guy is directly responsible for is saving the President, London sorts out the larger issue itself.

Vanilla ISIS

Dec 14, 2015
To me, this franchise is the new Die Hard.
Violent, funny, action packed and full of great cheesy one liners.
A perfect throwback to the 80's action movies.
If you like those "one man against the world" type of movies (the kind of movies that the cast of The Expendables were doing 20-30 years ago), you'll love this one.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Completely the opposite of what another reviewer said, he praised Gerard Butler for being a "badass" and called the pacing shit. Huh, oh well, either way, I would only watch his movie on a plane ride.

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
I saw it, its not great, but it's a fun movie and very campy. Worth a matinee or watch it on HBO when it comes out...I believe in Harvey Dent

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Every time I see the title, I briefly get a flicker of hope that someone made a film about Fallen London......and then am disappointed.

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Major_Tom said:
What is this nonsense? London is the Fifth City, it fell in 1861.
I came into this thread about a movie I don't give a rat's ass about just to make this joke.

And you stole that from me.

Jan 19, 2016
I liked Olympus Has Fallen. You're right that it was a bad movie, but it was still a guilty pleasure if you like cheeseball action flicks. I'll probably watch this one too, and I'm not sorry.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
So why no parody sequel to the serious sequel about a President under fire? I half-expected a "Parliament Floor Down" ""Guy Foxx Day"(get it?) or whatever modern tagline can fill that gap. Was Jamie Foxx busy with his music career or something? Not saying that it was a better movie, but these things usually come in pairs. For every "Deep Impact" there's an "Armageddon", every "Mission to Mars a "Red Planet" after all.