ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1311/1311102.jpgBethesda is now taking signups for the closed beta of the Fallout 4 Creation Kit.

If you're anxiously awaiting the release of the Fallout 4 Creation kit, you can now sign up to get your hands on it a bit early. Bethesda is adding a limited number of participants into the ongoing closed beta.

When you sign up, you'll also need to sign up for the DLC beta, which will require you to sign a non-disclosure agreement. That means you'll have to keep quiet about what you see.

The closed beta is only available for Windows users. The Creation Kit is set to come out after the rest of the planned DLC, which means we should see it sometime next month, hopefully.

Interested modders should head over to the Bethesda forums [https://community.bethesda.net/thread/7221] for all the details and to get signed up.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
There's just something a bit off about being assigned a F.4C.K.... Feels like a missed opportunity somehow.

Pinky's Brain

Mar 2, 2011
sonicneedslovetoo said:
I hope to god they make it easier to add animations to the game than Skyrim did.
They didn't do it when Intel was still offering open versions of the animation tools, they are not going to do it now when Microsoft doesn't.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Pretty sure the thread to sign up for the beta was closed yesterday. They took about 1k names, closed the thread, and then removed it from the public forums.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Starke said:
Pretty sure the thread to sign up for the beta was closed yesterday. They took about 1k names, closed the thread, and then removed it from the public forums.
I could see it when I was putting this together. Makes me wonder if I got a cached version of the page, or if the site was wonky.

Coach Morrison said:
Were the tools not supposed to be out before the second dlc or did it get pushed back?
I think it got pushed back. Supposed to be the last thing out now, after all the DLC.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
ffronw said:
When you sign up, you'll also need to sign up for the DLC beta, which will require you to sign a non-disclosure agreement. That means you'll have to keep quiet about what you see.
So if there are mandatory paid mods and/or mods are tied to Bethesda.net and/or Steam Workshop, no one can spill the beans until it's too late. If that does happen, I really hope someone has the balls to leak that.
The Creation Kit is set to come out after the rest of the planned DLC, which means we should see it sometime next month, hopefully.
Of course it is. They wouldn't want modders to upstage them immediately and rendering their DLC useless.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
ffronw said:
Starke said:
I could see it when I was putting this together. Makes me wonder if I got a cached version of the page, or if the site was wonky.
It could be caching. There's also been a couple of unofficial "YES" spam threads on the boards, since it got locked. Though the link you posted (probably) leads back to the original thread.

It could also have been visible until recently. I'm not sure when they hid the thread exactly. But it did get locked last night.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
ShakerSilver said:
ffronw said:
So if there are mandatory paid mods and/or mods are tied to Bethesda.net and/or Steam Workshop, no one can spill the beans until it's too late. If that does happen, I really hope someone has the balls to leak that.
Honestly, NDAs are standard business tools. Especially for things like closed testing. It's not automatically evidence that they're actually doing something nefarious.

DerangedHobo

Jan 11, 2012
set to come out after the rest of the planned DLC
Yep, that confirms it, Bethesda delayed the release of the GECK intentionally to try to boost DLC sales because the sole redeeming factor of their games at this one point was too intimidating to be released.

Good job Bethesda, you've gone past "mediocre" and into the asshole territory, thanks for ruining RPGs while you were there.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
lacktheknack said:
There's just something a bit off about being assigned a F.4C.K.... Feels like a missed opportunity somehow.
One of the Fallout 1 and 2 mod tools was named F.U.C.K., but I can't remember what it stood for. Fallout Something Something Something that actually started with a C.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
DerangedHobo said:
Yep, that confirms it, Bethesda delayed the release of the GECK intentionally to try to boost DLC sales because the sole redeeming factor of their games at this one point was too intimidating to be released.

Good job Bethesda, you've gone past "mediocre" and into the asshole territory, thanks for ruining RPGs while you were there.
There's also the idea that they wanted to have a final version of the game released first so modders can crack that rather than have to rework mods to fit with the new content and/or mechanic changes the DLC packages bring. I'm expecting at least there to be compatibility patches from Bethesda to update vanilla gameplay to the same standard as the full DLC. IF Bethesda doesn't then your position has more warrant, IMO. Until the final release is available, I'll reserve negative outlooks and heavy criticism on decisions based on the merit of the whole story.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
DerangedHobo said:

There's also the idea that they wanted to have a final version of the game released first so modders can crack that rather than have to rework mods to fit with the new content and/or mechanic changes the DLC packages bring. I'm expecting at least there to be compatibility patches from Bethesda to update vanilla gameplay to the same standard as the full DLC. IF Bethesda doesn't then your position has more warrant, IMO. Until the final release is available, I'll reserve negative outlooks and heavy criticism on decisions based on the merit of the whole story.
While I applaud your caution and willingness to give them the benefit of the doubt, I can't share your position here. I hardly think Bethesda cares enough about the modders to do them this kind of favor when the more likely explanation is that they don't want modders releasing free content that they plan to release as paid content. That's not to say you are wrong, but that's a hell of an altruistic move that rather cozily shares a tight space with a profit motivated one. I'm not gonna call Bethesda an asshole over it though. They get there money, I probably get less broken mods, it's a win-win regardless of motivation.

Coach Morrison

Jun 8, 2009
Gorrath said:
DerangedHobo said:

While I applaud your caution and willingness to give them the benefit of the doubt, I can't share your position here. I hardly think Bethesda cares enough about the modders to do them this kind of favor when the more likely explanation is that they don't want modders releasing free content that they plan to release as paid content. That's not to say you are wrong, but that's a hell of an altruistic move that rather cozily shares a tight space with a profit motivated one. I'm not gonna call Bethesda an asshole over it though. They get there money, I probably get less broken mods, it's a win-win regardless of motivation.
I've seen a few modders talk about being happy with the current set up as they don't have to waste time on a mod only for bethesda to come and make a more polished one that makes theirs obsolete. I also can't see having additional frameworks ready for use being a bad thing.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Coach Morrison said:
Gorrath said:
DerangedHobo said:

I've seen a few modders talk about being happy with the current set up as they don't have to waste time on a mod only for bethesda to come and make a more polished one that makes theirs obsolete. I also can't see having additional frameworks ready for use being a bad thing.

Oh I quite agree. I had housing mods downloaded for skyrim before they released hearth and home. The conflicts could be annoying and I really liked the system bethesda came up with, minus the loading time to get in and out of the basement that is. If modders had had the framework first, there would have been less issues and more interesting modded content. I am merely skeptical of the idea that bethesda is making this move for that reason is all. IN any case, it'll do far more good than harm.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
So the $68 Season Pass (yay Australia) is two simple to replicate time sinks, and a sidequest with Valentine? That's awesome value for money /sarcasm.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
008Zulu said:
So the $68 Season Pass (yay Australia) is two simple to replicate time sinks, and a sidequest with Valentine? That's awesome value for money /sarcasm.
Well, Mechanist does add some new adventure content... not, you know, much. But, it's there along side the draw of having a robotic minion.

The "sidequest with Valentine" is supposed to be a larger chunk of content than Dragonborn was. We'll see, obviously. Not sure what that ran you guys, though.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Starke said:
The "sidequest with Valentine" is supposed to be a larger chunk of content than Dragonborn was. We'll see, obviously. Not sure what that ran you guys, though.
Hard to say, I bought Skyrim Legendary Edition, on sale. Never really finished Dragonborn either. I should probably get around to that at some point.