Blizzard Removes "Avoid this Player" Option from Overwatch

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Blizzard Removes "Avoid this Player" Option from Overwatch

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1331/1331329.jpgThe option to avoid being matched up with a particular player has been removed from Overwatch, Blizzard said today.

If you've ever used the "Avoid this Player" feature in Overwatch to keep from seeing someone in-game, you might run into them again soon. Blizzard said today that it has removed that option from the game. The UI option still appears, but it no longer functions. It will be removed in a future patch.

In a post on the Overwatch forums [], Game Director Jeff Kaplan explained why the company chose to make this change. Apparently it was, "wreaking havoc on matchmaking." Kaplan related the story of one of the "best Widowmaker players in the world" who was experiencing long queue times. When the company looked into the problem, they found something interesting. Hundreds of other players had marked him as someone to avoid. Not because he was toxic or abusive, but apparently because they didn't want to take on someone playing at his skill level.

Because of his, his wait times were longer, and even worse, when he finally did get a match, the system had expanded the window of possible matches so that he was up against much lower skill level players. "As a result," Kaplan wrote, "we've disabled the Avoid system (the UI will go away in an upcoming patch). The system was designed with the best intent. But the results were pretty disastrous."

Kaplan's entire post is quite lengthy, and touches on many of the issues the company faces with matchmaking in Overwatch. You can read it right here [http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745504371#post-3].

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Makes sense this would happen. People abuse these kinds of systems all the time. A heat-of-the-moment "revenge" button doesn't seem like it would help much.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Understandable. Gonna miss having that option if I get paired up with an asshole though.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
I can't really blame them. I haven't had to really avoid many people, but it won't exactly be fun being paired with assholes again. That said hopefully they react quicker to abuse reports to compensate.

Sep 24, 2008
Blizzard baffles me sometimes.

All its efforts of the last decade has been to force us to be together. To make sure we can't touch a single product of theirs without signing over all rights to be a single player just trying to enjoy their games.

Then, they act confused that people are generally ass-hats and tend to ruin experiences. Or, that they are childish and petty and will do anything to get ahead or abuse the system.

Blizzard, we've known that for years. That's why all of your forums for all of your games will complain about wanting to play offline. Because we've always known people suck and will not tolerate an experience unless they are the very best. And that's why we wish you add more single player with offline capabilities into your games.

But since you're much like Nintendo that you can't stand a point that isn't your own... I'm simply going to be fasnicated on what you're going to do in the future and miss how whatever action it will be will fail your overarching goals.

... Still love Overwatch, though. If you're not going to do anything about speeding up Lucio's Projectiles or still making his Blastback cost ammo with a cool down, at least add like a second stun to give him more survivability. Hugs and Kisses.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
But... but I avoid on principle anyone that does something stupid like "you know what we need, a third Genji to go with our 76"

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Whoa, never even knew of this option, though it would explain why some of my waits were crazy long... though I'ad assume if people were 'avoiding' me its not because I was toxic, more likely I sucked too much.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
It took one person to complain and they got rid of one of the best features in online gaming?

Remind me why we can't complain about this game costing too much? Or not having a single player mode?

suzaku4489

Jun 8, 2010
I was actually using that feature to make the damn matchmaking work better. I'm level 54, but the damn thing would keep matching me with players that were level 200-300+. I know time doesn't directly equal skill, but if 90% of my opponents have literally 15x-20x my time played because their computer chair is also their toilet to improve efficiency, then I don't want feel like I'm their toilet paper.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
RaikuFA said:
It took one person to complain and they got rid of one of the best features in online gaming?

Remind me why we can't complain about this game costing too much? Or not having a single player mode?
Honestly it's a stupid feature to have for a game to have much more than buddy games. And with Blizz being adamant about only having Blizz servers be available, you can see how stupid of a decision it was to have it in in the first place.

You get up there in the rankings and people can tank you pretty easily since the pool gets smaller and smaller. Similar things have happened in alot of other multiplayer games that have systems that can zero out specific players.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
freaper said:
You mean it was working as intended?
No, players being avoided simply for being good at the game or with a class people don't want to deal with playing against (or a combination of both) is not "working as intended".

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Might be a good idea to fix the match-making in general then so that it's not this "we want everyone to have about a 50% win-loss ratio" crap. Win a few games: you get stuck on a crap team, or get stuck against a team that stomps your face. Lose a few games: you're placed on a team that makes you feel like a god among insects.

What they need to do is just put in a TDM mode for all the people that don't want to play as a team and/or go after the objectives. You know the ones I'm talking about, the ones that pay no consideration to team comp and tell you to fuck off when you ask them to change...even as they're getting their ass handed to them. The ones with the "Gee, the enemy is playing the hard-counter to my main, guess I'm just going to get my ass kicked this round."

That Guy Ya Know

Forum Title:
Sep 9, 2009
RJ 17 said:
Might be a good idea to fix the match-making in general then so that it's not this "we want everyone to have about a 50% win-loss ratio" crap. Win a few games: you get stuck on a crap team, or get stuck against a team that stomps your face. Lose a few games: you're placed on a team that makes you feel like a god among insects.

What they need to do is just put in a TDM mode for all the people that don't want to play as a team and/or go after the objectives. You know the ones I'm talking about, the ones that pay no consideration to team comp and tell you to fuck off when you ask them to change...even as they're getting their ass handed to them. The ones with the "Gee, the enemy is playing the hard-counter to my main, guess I'm just going to get my ass kicked this round."
I'm guessing you didn't read the linked post? He explicitly stated that the matchmaking system doesn't do that; while they do view a 50% win rate as a good thing it matches you up based on skill ping and group size.

Gatlank

Aug 26, 2014
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
Understandable. Gonna miss having that option if I get paired up with an asshole though.
Nothing no one can do about it since it works like a general purpose button.
Like it was shown it can be used to single out players just because they're good.

suzaku4489 said:
I was actually using that feature to make the damn matchmaking work better. I'm level 54, but the damn thing would keep matching me with players that were level 200-300+. I know time doesn't directly equal skill, but if 90% of my opponents have literally 15x-20x my time played because their computer chair is also their toilet to improve efficiency, then I don't want feel like I'm their toilet paper.
It seems the matchmaking needs more work. I would complain to Blizzard because using these options as a fix for these kind of problems won't work on the long run.
Better have the devs check this out and come up with a more permanent solution.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Redryhno said:
RaikuFA said:

Honestly it's a stupid feature to have for a game to have much more than buddy games. And with Blizz being adamant about only having Blizz servers be available, you can see how stupid of a decision it was to have it in in the first place.

You get up there in the rankings and people can tank you pretty easily since the pool gets smaller and smaller. Similar things have happened in alot of other multiplayer games that have systems that can zero out specific players.
Considering most people use online gaming to harass others an option like that was a godsend.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
RaikuFA said:
Redryhno said:
RaikuFA said:

Considering most people use online gaming to harass others an option like that was a godsend.
Really? Most people I run into use online gaming to...online game.

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
Seanchaidh said:
freaper said:
You mean it was working as intended?
No, players being avoided simply for being good at the game or with a class people don't want to deal with playing against (or a combination of both) is not "working as intended".
That's true.

The only thing I think is going to come of this though would be players leaving mid match after frustration or immediately.
If penalties are levied against match leavers, then players going idle will manifest.
If methods of spotting idle players appear, then it'll be interesting to see how people respond.
I'm betting propping a shoe on the keyboard.
Whatever it is, the end result will be more work for blizzard.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that people will find a way to dick around with whatever system implemented.
Especially if they feel they're being forced to play with someone they have no interest in playing against, be that a callous attempt to ensure easier opponents or a genuine belief that the matchmaking metrics are gypping them.
I can appreciate the problem they have with the system matching a high level player with relatively new folk.
That'd be like a fox let loose in a hen house.
Carnage.
At the same time, I know that players who are denied a mechanic or legitimate way to choose not to play against a person will spend their energies trying to find a way not to play them.

As an aside...
Personally, I've always preferred server browsers to match making.
Eventually finding a couple of good private servers with decent admins kept me playing older games far longer than I've stayed with some of the newer ones.
Aside from a sense of community that would form on player run servers, having someone capable of dealing with problems close at hand was always a boon.