Blizzard Removes "Avoid this Player" Option from Overwatch

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Redryhno said:
RaikuFA said:
Redryhno said:
RaikuFA said:
It took one person to complain and they got rid of one of the best features in online gaming?

Remind me why we can't complain about this game costing too much? Or not having a single player mode?
Honestly it's a stupid feature to have for a game to have much more than buddy games. And with Blizz being adamant about only having Blizz servers be available, you can see how stupid of a decision it was to have it in in the first place.

You get up there in the rankings and people can tank you pretty easily since the pool gets smaller and smaller. Similar things have happened in alot of other multiplayer games that have systems that can zero out specific players.
Considering most people use online gaming to harass others an option like that was a godsend.
Really? Most people I run into use online gaming to...online game.
All that happens when I play is I get kicked and/or insulted through PM for whichever batshit imnsane reason you can think of.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
RaikuFA said:
All that happens when I play is I get kicked and/or insulted through PM for whichever batshit imnsane reason you can think of.[/quote]

Can you even get booted in Overwatch? Or even get PM'd by people you don't know?

mythgraven

No One Is Special
Mar 9, 2010
I find it honestly hard to grok the notion that online games even still exist, although I know quite well they do.

The overwhelming, constant, unceasing, assholish nature of people on the internet makes literally ANY interaction that a player is allowed to conduct with another player... Even something as simple as a /wave emote, a guaranteed grief tool.

Because you know damn well, someone will figure out how to grief with that emote. Somehow, someway. The malice of "our culture" is well documented.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
I can see now why modern multiplayer games do away with private servers in favour of those universal ranking ladder system things. Allowing people to choose who to play with was indeed a horrible loophole that allowed them to avoid being harassed by 'good players'. I have to admit I indulged in such heinous behaviour in games like Left4Dead myself. Now that the concept of private servers is history I found another, fool-proof loophole - I just stopped playing online shooters. Granted, that makes me a shitlord that refuses to be cannon fodder for 'good players' but on the other hand, I don't even care that much anymore.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
freaper said:
You mean it was working as intended?
Contrary to popular opinion, there's quite a difference between "being a jackass" and "beating me in a game".

Though I have to wonder if the people who abused this function knew that they were handicapping themselves more than helping- after all, the people they put on "avoid" wouldn't be placed on their team, either.

Newage

Aug 21, 2014
Kibeth41 said:
freaper said:
What? Did you even read the article? It was putting a high ranking Widowmaker player against low ranked and new players. How is that working as intended?

OT: The game doesn't need an 'avoid this player' function. It literally just needs a mute and report system.

Players need to be able to mute toxic players on their team, while toxic players need chat bans.
Both mute and report are already in the game. Press P to bring up the team members, then right-click on them for report. It also gives you the possibility to mute both chat and voice.

Edit : chat bans are also already in place. If a person gets enough reports, they end up muted game-wide for 24 hours. After that, the sanction doubles everytime, with no limit and no decay.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
That Guy Ya Know said:
RJ 17 said:
Might be a good idea to fix the match-making in general then so that it's not this "we want everyone to have about a 50% win-loss ratio" crap. Win a few games: you get stuck on a crap team, or get stuck against a team that stomps your face. Lose a few games: you're placed on a team that makes you feel like a god among insects.

What they need to do is just put in a TDM mode for all the people that don't want to play as a team and/or go after the objectives. You know the ones I'm talking about, the ones that pay no consideration to team comp and tell you to fuck off when you ask them to change...even as they're getting their ass handed to them. The ones with the "Gee, the enemy is playing the hard-counter to my main, guess I'm just going to get my ass kicked this round."
I'm guessing you didn't read the linked post? He explicitly stated that the matchmaking system doesn't do that; while they do view a 50% win rate as a good thing it matches you up based on skill ping and group size.
Him saying that is like Nintendo saying that the NX isn't meant to replace the WiiU: PR speak because you can't just come right out and admit it, it's bad for business.

The fact of the matter is that that's how things are going to work out in the long run once you've got enough games under your belt for the algorithm to actually have a decent feel for how well you play. For now it's a pendulum that has a wide swing. If it was as he said, then there wouldn't be nearly as many games in which you either absolutely destroy the enemy or get sent running to your room to clutch a pillow and cry while listening to Meatloaf's I Would Do Anything For Love. That is to say: most of your games would be a close match. Most of your games should be competitive. And I do love those competitive games where it's hard fought, win or lose. But it's simply not the case that those are the majority of the games being played.

Case in point: the number of lvl 50's getting matched into games with people lvl 100+. Granted: lvl doesn't directly equate to skill, but it does directly equate to hours played. Hours played equates to game experience (and thus a better knowledge of the maps and mechanics of the heroes). As such: someone that's lvl 100+ has an edge over someone that's only lvl 50, simply because they have a greater knowledge of the game.

Street Halo

Jun 7, 2016
Newage said:
Edit : chat bans are also already in place. If a person gets enough reports, they end up muted game-wide for 24 hours. After that, the sanction doubles everytime, with no limit and no decay.
That sounds like a pretty fair way of dealing with it. Not perfect but nothing is.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Redryhno said:
RaikuFA said:
All that happens when I play is I get kicked and/or insulted through PM for whichever batshit imnsane reason you can think of.
Can you even get booted in Overwatch? Or even get PM'd by people you don't know?[/quote]

Dunno. But I have been kicked in TF2 and Payday 2. Gotten DM in Awesomenauts and League telling me to kill my self and to stop playing games altogether caused it was obvious I was new. Then the threats in SF4 for losing.

Gatlank

Aug 26, 2014
RaikuFA said:
Gotten DM in Awesomenauts and League telling me to kill my self and to stop playing games altogether caused it was obvious I was new. Then the threats in SF4 for losing.
I quit League after a month because of that. Didn't have the patience to deal with it since it looked like the game was populated by 12 year olds and people that needed to cut on caffeine.
Aside from that nowadays i find in the sparse online games i have at worst the occasional troll or people that like to share their musical preferences (if there's an in-game chat) as loud as possible.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
I wish it'd stay as it was in unranked mode, considering that ranked is just around the corner.

Gonna be honest, yeah, I'd definitely hit avoid on "one of the best widowmaker players in the world", that sounds like the least fun you can have in unranked.
I wonder if he was literally good enough that he'd pissed off enough players that it was physically difficult to get him into a game without at least one of them present? Or does the system work in a more complicated way?

Broslinger

Jul 4, 2015
Best Widowmaker player in the world eh? Is that before or after you could one shot folks with body shots?

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I have mixed feelings on this.

I mean, previous games and systems with avoid player feedback had drop down options including 'Skill difference' as a selectable reason.

Because in spite of the repeated concept here that not wanting to play with someone better than you is abusive, there do exist times when matchmaking fails and you're placed with opponents so far beyond you, that you may as well afk. Its okay to not want to play with them again.

Bonus points because players just below top tier (top tier tend to be more professional and have better manners because its their career) like to 'smurf'. Creating dummy accounts for the sole purpose of sidestepping the matchmaking and ruining the game for people well below them.

NickBrahz

Mar 30, 2011
Don't play the game, but did they really just admit that they changed an entire system because of the issues 1 guy was having.

saltyanon

Sep 18, 2013
The Rogue Wolf said:
freaper said:
Contrary to popular opinion, there's quite a difference between "being a jackass" and "beating me in a game".
There's a difference between playing a game and having a good time and playing a game and repeatedly running into a wall. People here are calling the use of this function as a means to avoid really good people as "abuse", but I disagree. Avoiding someone you know you can't beat is the obvious, logical thing to do. Anyone with half a brain would know that.

I'm guessing this will just increase the number of mid-match quitters.

Estarc

Sep 23, 2008
Makes sense. I've put at least ten toxic players or more on my avoid list so to speak, but if people are abusing the system to avoid skilled players then the only thing to do is get rid of it. I'll just go back to diligently reporting toxicity, though that's another system I am sure gets abused. Ah well.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
RaikuFA said:
Dunno. But I have been kicked in TF2 and Payday 2. Gotten DM in Awesomenauts and League telling me to kill my self and to stop playing games altogether caused it was obvious I was new. Then the threats in SF4 for losing.
TF2 has a gigantic amount of servers ranging from uber-meta-hardcore to GambleGodModeforthefuckofit, it's not like being booted really matters. And Payday2 is just broken from the foundation up in multiple ways. You get booted for being a level below people in that game these days.

And really, threats in SF4? I can get trashtalk and "you suck", but threats? That seems a bit embellished, especially since SF4 is sorta considered one of the better FGC's online considering how mainstream it is.

Can't really speak for League, haven't participated in chat for two years now because there was more crying and people getting ragey because they weren't told how amazing their facecheck was going on in chat than anything actually entertaining.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
So a thing everyone said will happen, happened. to noones surprise. At least blizzard is kind enough to come out and fix it openly.

RaikuFA said:
It took one person to complain and they got rid of one of the best features in online gaming?
Well its not like blizzard lacks precedent on acting based on single forum compaint.....

Though that feature itself - it should never have existed.

Elijin said:
I have mixed feelings on this.

I mean, previous games and systems with avoid player feedback had drop down options including 'Skill difference' as a selectable reason.
What? that shouldnt even be an option. As one great developer of one of the most suvesful online multiplayer games said: "We dont need ranked matches. The whole point of getting better is that you could easier beat opponents, not to be matched with people that always make you loose no matter your skill level."

NickBrahz said:
Don't play the game, but did they really just admit that they changed an entire system because of the issues 1 guy was having.
No, one guy complained, they investigated and found out that the system was broken.

saltyanon said:
There's a difference between playing a game and having a good time and playing a game and repeatedly running into a wall.
Yes, the difference is in one of those the player in question sucks bigtime.

Avoiding someone you know you can't beat is the obvious, logical thing to do. Anyone with half a brain would know that.
No, the logical thing to do is get better and beat him.

Estarc said:
I'll just go back to diligently reporting toxicity, though that's another system I am sure gets abused. Ah well.
It will, but its easier to handle. My friend did the LoL moderation council thing when they had that. 9/10 reports were bullshit in the style of "the guy is better than me therefore clearly hax". BUt that 1/10 was legit and got banned. thing is, these 9/10 did not get actions taken against them, so no punishment for innocent. while avoid system punished innocent.

unified disinterest

Apr 29, 2015
A skilled widowmaker can be hard to counter at the best of times. If newer players are encountering this one sniper that just chews up their whole team and spits them back into the respawn queue I could see them using the avoid option.