Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach is a New Turn-Based Strategy Game Starring the Space Wolves

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach is a New Turn-Based Strategy Game Starring the Space Wolves

The newest Warhammer is Sanctus Reach, a turn-based strategy game developed by Slitherine.

There has been a slew of Warhammer games in the works of late, and the latest looks like it might be the closest to the tabletop yet. Turn-based strategy title Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach is being published by Slitherine, who was also behind another turn-based game, Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon. It's being developed by Straylight Entertainment.

Sanctus Reach puts players into the giant metal boots of the Space Wolves, one of the more popular Space Marine legions. The Orks are taking over the galaxy, and the last planet standing is Alaric Prime, where the Space Wolves hold fast.

The official line on the game reads,

"Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach brings you to a dark era of carnage and endless war. There is no peace among the stars: the Imperium of Man is beset on all sides by all kinds of threats. Among them is the Orks, a barbaric and warlike xeno race. One of their fiercest leaders, Grukk Face-Rippa, leads his Red Waaagh! in the Sanctus Reach system.

Worlds after worlds fall to billions of Orks, until only one last planet resists the green tide: the Knight World of Alaric Prime. This is where a brave company of Space Wolves makes its stand to defend the last bastion of mankind in the system..."

According to the game's Steam page [http://store.steampowered.com/app/502370/], it will come complete with two story-based campaigns, 30 Space Wolf units, 30 Ork units, a skirmish mode, a map generator, and multiplayer.

If you're interested, Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach is set to launch in November 2016.

[gallery=6374]

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
That was a pretty bad trailer. All it told us is that the game exists and its graphics are kinda ehh.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Looks like I still need to wait for my sequel/spiritual successor to Squad Command.

Victim of Progress

Jul 11, 2011
Worgen said:
That was a pretty bad trailer. All it told us is that the game exists and its graphics are kinda ehh.
I second that. Barely anything worth mentioning. Let's hope they'll show us more stuff as it goes

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
Oh, look, more Space Marines. Another Space Marine campaign is exactly what the 40k franchise was missing. Why not go back to DoW, and do proper campaigns, preferably DoW1 style gameplay, for all of the other factions?

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I'm glad that it's not the Ultrasmurfs for once, but I'm getting a little tired of Space Marines. Hell, Deathwing isn't even out yet. Can't we get a game about...pretty much anything else? Orks? Imperial Guard? Fuck, I'd even be up for another Fire Warrior game.

animeprime

Feb 18, 2013
Love me some 40K, though it seems like they've been handing the license out to anyone now that THQ folded. That one dark angels tower defense and the space wolf card battler were pretty awful. Lorewise I'm not a fan of spacewolves but I've never had a chance to play a real game with them before so maybe this will change my mind. The graphics are a little worrying, everything is way to smooth and doesn't seem verywell shaded. The imperial knight at the end really stood out to me since I've seen the DoW III models so much recently. I'm interested but will have to see the price and some gameplay before I commit.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Say what you will, but even with the unimpressive trailer and "functional" graphics, I'm honestly looking more forward to this then Dow 3 (especially in light of a recent interview which confirms the new relic devs are massive starcraft fanboys and they wanted dow to be more like sc 2..the ultimate heresy).

At least slitherine have an honorable track record when it comes to making complex games and staying true to the tabletop rules (see armageddon), so I have good reason to believe the gameplay of this game might be decent too.
Slitherine games have rarely been eye pleasing that I remember, but they have made some solid stuff, Pandora>Beyond Earth for example, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt here.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
When are we going to get a non-imperium focused story? As a 40k fan who didn't play any of the Imperium factions, it annoys me to no end. We haven't had one since Fire Warrior... And that was not a great game.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
I can't decide if I'm impressed or depressed at how well they nailed the look of tossing a few bases of terrain onto a flat table.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
So question. Is the Warhammer 40k conflict a galaxy wide or universe wide conflict? Because it says the Orks have taken over the galaxy except for this one planet.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Space Marines vs Orks.

Already bored of it.

How about Eldar vs Tau, or Tyranids vs Necron? Too much effort maybe.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
LetalisK said:
So question. Is the Warhammer 40k conflict a galaxy wide or universe wide conflict? Because it says the Orks have taken over the galaxy except for this one planet.
It's a universe thing. Xenos are trying to fuck up humans and/or each other at pretty much all times. This is just a subsection of that, focused on a flare-up of Ork activity led by one Gruk Facerippa.

OT: Still waiting for a non-Imperium game, or at least one where you aren't a Spess Marine. A game where you command a Catachan platoon on a death world vs 'nids would be boss.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
If its Slitherine we can expect some solid, allbeit not overwhelming good gameplay.

Atleast these guys know how to make a good turn based game.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
LetalisK said:
The description is worded badly. The Imperium of Man controls a wide swathe of the Milky Way galaxy, and that's probably not going to change any time soon due to brisk sales of Space Marine figures the setting's premise of eternal war. I'm sure they meant the last planet of a star system or something like that.

WH40k takes place almost entirely within the Milky Way, though invasions from extra-galactic threats like the Tyranids make it very likely that the universe at large is in a similar state (that, or the 'Nids ate everything else already).
chozo_hybrid said:
When are we going to get a non-imperium focused story? As a 40k fan who didn't play any of the Imperium factions, it annoys me to no end. We haven't had one since Fire Warrior... And that was not a great game.
To be fair, every expansion for the first Dawn of War had campaigns for each faction, as well as Dawn of War II: Retribution.

Like it or not, Space Marines will almost always be the go-to playable faction for the series, as they're by far the most popular and iconic. I'm just glad it's the Space Wolves this time (one of my favorite chapters) instead of the Ultrasmurfs or Bloody Magpies.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
erttheking said:
I'd even be up for another Fire Warrior game.
I always thought Fire Warrior was a missed opportunity to do a badass Battlesuit game.

Also being against the Imperium kinda opens up a lot of potential badass boss fights. I hope one day they make a XV22 game and there's boss fights like SM Chaplains or taking down a Baneblade as it pushes through Tau ranks.