Langdell Resigns From IGDA Board of Directors

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Langdell Resigns From IGDA Board of Directors

Tim Langdell, the subject of much controversy in recent weeks over his use of his "Edge" trademark, has resigned from his position on the Board of Directors of the International Game Developers Association.

Langdell's resignation comes after weeks of intense scrutiny [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/tag/tim+langdell] over the Edge Games founder's use of his trademark of the word "Edge." Langdell, as has become widely known in recent months, has used his claim to threaten copyright infringement and legal action against anyone who would attempt to use the word "Edge" without licensing it from him.

An unofficial grassroots effort to remove Langdell from his position as a member of the Board of Directors of the IGDA was sparked in July when members of the IGDA sent out a mass email [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93641-IGDA-Members-Call-for-Edge-Langdells-Removal] demanding a special meeting to address the question of Langdell's position. Langdell's practices, they argued, did not reflect the mission of the IGDA and, moreover, were being benefited by his position on the Board of Directors.

The meeting had been agreed upon [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93729-IGDA-Agrees-to-Langdell-Meeting], but, as the IGDA announced today, has been canceled in the wake of Langdell's resignation. Langdell's former position is now vacant and will be up for election early next year.

j0z

Apr 23, 2009
I knew that horse head I left in his bed would do the trick!
No need to thank me, I did it for everyone.
I am glad he resigned, about the only thing he could do, since they would probably have removed him anyway.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Well at least he had the decency to step down of his own accord instead of being forced out kicking and screaming.

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
johnman said:
Well at least he had the decency to step down of his own accord instead of being forced out kicking and screaming.
What John said.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
NoMoreSanity said:
Geuss he didn't want to deal with the controversy anymore. Better to go out while your still on top I geuss.
Less 'on top' and more 'before he's dug an even deeper hole'.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
That picture makes him look really smug. I want to punch it.

It's also good to see he has less authority. Now if someone could take that Edge trademark from him...

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
scnj said:
That picture makes him look really smug. I want to punch it.

It's also good to see he has less authority. Now if someone could take that Edge trademark from him...
Well being a director of the IDGA gave him all the authority. Developers couldnt complain to the IDGA as he was part of it, now they can and wont be so easy to get away with it.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
johnman said:
No this is worse, if he had been kicked off then it would have looked bad for him. this way he can twist it to make it out that he left simply because he wanted to and he can tell whatever stories he likes about them not wanting him to leave.

Still, everything is going according to plan...

Phase 1: Complete

SharedProphet

Oct 9, 2008
His email signatures will just change to "Former Member, Board of Directors, IGDA". I'm sure it won't stop any of his shenanigans. But I suppose it's true that people can expect to be allowed to complain to the IGDA about it now.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
johnman said:
Just like Nixon

Coming in 2010: Frost/Langdell (or perhaps Sessler/Langdell)

"WHEN AN IGDA BOARD MEMBER DOES IT, IT'S NOT ILLEGAL!"

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
But he still hasn't dropped the Edge trademark dispute? Oh well, this is a start.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
j0z said:
I am glad he resigned, about the only thing he could do, since they would probably have removed him anyway.
Grazie, Don j0z.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
I suppose its at least commendable that he stepped down, regardless of what motivated him to do so. I think he's finally realized he's been beat.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
j0z said:
Hey, you replaced my lamb's head! Of course, that might have inspired him to do more than just quit...
This would be one of those instances where you quit something as opposed to being removed looks better on your resume. Still, a pyrrhic victory counts for something.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
I like how this IGDA organisation has become newsworthy when most of us didn't have a clue that it existed and many developers didn't seem to think much of it beforehand anyway.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
About time! I was waiting for this jerk to be removed.

.... and since there is an open spot, vote for JRCB in '10! He'll do better than the last guy!