Speedrunners Have Already Beat Breath of The Wild in Under One Hour

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Speedrunners Have Already Beat Breath of The Wild in Under One Hour

Speedrunner gymnast86 has completed The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild with a time of just 58 minutes and one second.

Have you finished The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild yet? While many gamers are sinking hundreds of hours into the game, exploring its vast open nature, speedrunners, which have a field day with every Zelda release, are trying to get their completion times down as low as possible. One in particular has managed to crack the one hour mark, finishing the game in just 58 minutes and one second.

Gymnast86 [https://www.twitch.tv/gymnast86] achieved the incredible time through use of some clever techniques developed by the speedrunning community. "Whistle sprinting" is, for example, is performed by holding the D-pad down and tapping the B button while sprinting, making it possible to maintain a high ground speed while recovering stamina between sprints.

A little bit of controversy within the speedrunning community has been the use of the Link amiibo to get early access to Epona. Some see it as "cheating" while others, like Gymnast86, have no qualms. "To me, it seems silly to want to get rid of a cheap piece of plastic which makes runs of this game slightly faster," he said. Despite his stance on the use of amiibo, Gymnast86 did not use the Link amiibo in his record breaking speedrun.

Gymnast86 is still working on refining his technique, and believes that even more time can be shaved off the record.

Source: Kotaku [https://www.twitch.tv/gymnast86]

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Yeah, no. Using Epona that you get from the amiibo is definitely cheating in my eyes and doesn't make this even nearly as impressive as the title makes it out to be.

EDIT: He didn't use it as it seems, but I stay by my word that I consider it cheating as far as speedrunning goes. It will probably be just put in a separate category. Speedrunning with and without it.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
BiH-Kira said:
Yeah, no. Using Epona that you get from the amiibo is definitely cheating in my eyes and doesn't make this even nearly as impressive as the title makes it out to be.
Agree with ya completely. Its basically a paid for shortcut. I would be very much impressed when I see it without said amiibo. Speedruns have always been fun to watch cause you see lil in game tricks be used perfectly

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
BiH-Kira said:
Sorry, I was missing something very important from the article:

"Despite his stance on the use of amiibo, Gymnast86 did not use the Link amiibo in his record breaking speedrun."

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
BiH-Kira said:

"Despite his stance on the use of amiibo, Gymnast86 did not use the Link amiibo in his record breaking speedrun."
Thanks for clarifying it. His video is 1 hour long so I obviously didn't have the time to watch it and see it for myself.

However I will still have to disagree with his stance on using the amiibo. Wouldn't be the first time I disagree with something that's accepted with the hardcore speedrunner.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
BiH-Kira said:
Steven Bogos said:
BiH-Kira said:

Thanks for clarifying it. His video is 1 hour long so I obviously didn't have the time to watch it and see it for myself.

However I will still have to disagree with his stance on using the amiibo. Wouldn't be the first time I disagree with something that's accepted with the hardcore speedrunner.
The consensus among speedrunners seems to be that using the amiibo shaves at maximum 30 seconds off the time, which isn't really a lot.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
BiH-Kira said:
Steven Bogos said:
BiH-Kira said:

That should be the point of having multiple types of runs. Some with and some without the amiibo's help, much like how there's glitch vs glitchless runs or even tool assisted runs. If something in the game allows it, then I don't think it should disqualify it as a tool in a run, it should just be specified as it does make a difference.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
They needed to speedrun it, otherwise the console would brick before they finished the game. Bwahahahaaa!

Oct 15, 2015
BeerTent said:
They needed to speedrun it, otherwise the console would brick before they finished the game. Bwahahahaaa!
I know you're just joking, but speedrunners run it on the wii u. Saves 5-8 seconds per shrine load.

Apr 5, 2008
That 1second would drive me mad. But wow, Yahtzee was right, speedrunners wasted no time. Now they'll do it blindfolded, one handed while being waterboarded.

I've only ever speedrun one game, Dragon's Dogma:DA on 360, because it had a specific mode with exclusive rewards that transferred into the main game. It also used the main game world state when starting, which meant the whole thing was really very well thought out and players could employ strategy in placing portal stones, gear, class/builds, etc. Shame the NG+ and "Hard" modes suck so damn much.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Steven Bogos said:
"To me, it seems silly to want to get rid of a cheap piece of plastic which makes runs of this game slightly faster," he said.
In what universe are Amiibos cheap?

What's more, why are in-game bonuses tied to plastic figures that I don't want? It's basically hiding the best toys in a game (Fire Emblem: Fates is a particularly bad example of this) behind an expensive paywall, while tying them to something I have zero interest in.

I've always despised the Amiibo concept, and I hate that it's been successful.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
As much as I want to view this, I have to hold off until I finish this game for myself so I don't spoil anything.

SlumlordThanatos said:
What's more, why are in-game bonuses tied to plastic figures that I don't want? It's basically hiding the best toys in a game (Fire Emblem: Fates is a particularly bad example of this) behind an expensive paywall, while tying them to something I have zero interest in.

I've always despised the Amiibo concept, and I hate that it's been successful.
Welcome to Nintendo. The same people who had the fucking nerve to shut down Project M.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
008Zulu said:
So... this guy has, what, a couple months now for the next Switch game to come out? That was $400 well spent.
He did the speed run on the Wii U

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
So, there are people that just buy the game and immediately tries to do a speedrun? That sounds pretty damn boring to be honest.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
The addition of content from a paid object which is its only purpose comes close enough to straight up DLC that I'll accept it being considered as DLC when it comes to speedruns. It may not be the most enjoyable run however I do wonder what the speedrunning community thinks of DLC in making runs of a game easier, from the small addition of certain areas, objects or even the bullshit pay for resource that will allow you to get an edge within the first few hours of playing.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Kibeth41 said:
008Zulu said:
So... this guy has, what, a couple months now for the next Switch game to come out? That was $400 well spent.
Assuming he was playing it on the Switch (he wasn't), the amount that speedrunners typically play games, and the frequency that WRs are beaten in Speedrunning, he'd likely get more value and time out of the Switch and Breath of the Wild than any typical person would get of any other console and an entire collection of games for said console.

SlumlordThanatos said:
In this one.

Same price as Funko Pop figures, if not slightly cheaper. Higher quality product for the price. That's excluding any digital content.

If your value of the content walled by Amiibos is held so highly that you'd cry outrage, then maybe you should reassess some things in your life.

The content is always big enough that it's a pleasant bonus. But always small enough that it's just that.. A pleasant bonus.
The bigger problem is finding the damn things. Outside of the Mario ones, I can never find any.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Can't help but laugh at the amount of times that his weapons break in the video, looks like a pain in the ass to play.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Kibeth41 said:
SlumlordThanatos said:
In this one.

Same price as Funko Pop figures, if not slightly cheaper. Higher quality product for the price. That's excluding any digital content.

If your value of the content walled by Amiibos is held so highly that you'd cry outrage, then maybe you should reassess some things in your life.

The content is always big enough that it's a pleasant bonus. But always small enough that it's just that.. A pleasant bonus.
It's less about the value of the item itself and more about how it's a shitty, anti-consumer business practice.

It's as if League of Legends forced you to purchase a limited-run figurine in order to get a skin, and to make matters worse, it's considerably more expensive than even the Ultimate skins that they have. You know, because Riot has to commission a company to make the figurines.

I don't mind artificial rarity by making skins a limited-time deal, but tying them to a physical object that you may or may not want just punishes the people who want extra content, but don't want to collect the figurines.