PETA is Angry that Nintendo Turned Cow Milking into a 1-2-Switch Game

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
PETA is Angry that Nintendo Turned Cow Milking into a 1-2-Switch Game

PETA isn't thrilled about the 1-2-Switch milking minigame, or the upcoming milking challenge Nintendo has agreed to.

Last week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169904-Nintendo-Accepts-Challenge-to-Milk-IRL-Cows], Nintendo accepted a challenge from the Billings Farm & Museum in Vermont - a contest to see who can milk real cows the fastest. The challenge was issued in response to one of the Nintendo Switch's 1-2-Switch minigames in which players simulate milking a cow.

"So Nintendo has a new game out called 1-2-Switch and we noticed it includes a cow milking game. We sent them a message inviting them out to our farm to show them how it's REALLY done and to school them at their own game," the farm's challenge read, in part. But it appears that the milking has also caught the attention of PETA (the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals), and this was in a less lighthearted way.

On Thursday, the organization shared their displeasure at both the minigame itself and the aforementioned real-life milking challenge. The displeasure was shared in the form of a letter sent to Nintendo and shared to Facebook [https://www.facebook.com/official.peta/photos/a.55746449585.62921.5647744585/10155201459194586/?type=3&theater].

"Hey Nintendo-how about you show what REALLY happens to cows on dairy farms?" reads an accompanying post. "After Nintendo accepted a cow-milking challenge from Billings Farm & Museum, we couldn't stay silent. This letter from PETA president Ingrid Newkirk spells it out."

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1393/1393926.jpg

The letter, penned by Newkirk, requests "some realism," stating that "we have more than 35 years of experience investigating dairy farms where cows are exploited for their milk, and it is NEVER that pleasant for these animals."

The letter also states that, in order to accurate depict cow-milking in its minigame, the game would have to show the "violent insemination of female cows," highlight the fact that "by drinking milk, people support an industry that separates mothers from their babies," and depict the "filthy conditions that cows endure on farms."

"If you think that the gruesome nature of this would be too upsetting, we suggest that instead of sugarcoating the subject, Nintendo switch to simulating activities in which no animals suffer," the letter concludes.

We've reached out to Nintendo for comment and will update this story should we receive a response.

Kreett

Constant Contrarian
Nov 20, 2009
How is PETA still a thing? At this point it has gone past parody and become... I don't know what.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Every article involving PETA could be changed to "PETA is angry; and then they killed some puppies " and nothing would change. They're a disgusting hypocritical organization and I suspect a front of something for celebrities to funnel money.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
I think this issue highlights why social justice advocates should just stay away from video games. Games are games. They are not social/political statements. It is really annoying at best and censorship at worst. When these political groups demand that their opinions on issues should be included in games. If PETA or any other activist groups want to make their own game expressing their views, they are welcome to do so. Putting public pressure and/or any other kind of demands, shaming tactics, or protest against video games is simply misguided.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
You could change the headline to "PETA Tells People To Stop Having Fun" and nothing would be different.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
KissingSunlight said:
I think this issue highlights why social justice advocates should just stay away from video games. Games are games. They are not social/political statements. It is really annoying at best and censorship at worst. When these political groups demand that their opinions on issues should be included in games. If PETA or any other activist groups want to make their own game expressing their views, they are welcome to do so. Putting public pressure and/or any other kind of demands, shaming tactics, or protest against video games is simply misguided.
My problem with PETA isnt they are upset at a percieved injustice. My problem with PETA is they are hypocrites and I dont think most of what they find issue with is actually an issue.

But sometimes (not this time) things are actually sexist or bigoted or sending a terrible message.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
In 2015 PETA killed 1456 animals and adopted 60, in 2015 I adopted 1 dog and killed 0, therefore I'm a much better animal rights group. Don't give your money to PETA - send it to me! Those Kong toys ain't cheap.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Saelune said:
KissingSunlight said:
My problem with PETA isnt they are upset at a percieved injustice. My problem with PETA is they are hypocrites and I dont think most of what they find issue with is actually an issue.

But sometimes (not this time) things are actually sexist or bigoted or sending a terrible message.
Just a few things that PETA is against.
-Animal testing. Including testing that gave us medicine like insulin (one of PETA's top members is diabetic).
-Service animals, like those that help blind people.
-Pets. Like the dog or cat most of us had growing up.

Yeah, PETA can go fuck itself.

McElroy said:
I agree. It should've been a human milking game.
Pretty sure that would be rated Adult Only. And wouldn't be the same type of milk.

Major_Tom said:
In 2015 PETA killed 1456 animals and adopted 60, in 2015 I adopted 1 dog and killed 0, therefore I'm a much better animal rights group. Don't give your money to PETA - send it to me! Those Kong toys ain't cheap.
I approve of this message.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Does anyone care what PETA thinks? No! You know why? Because they're a bunch of pet-murdering hypocrites! Fuck them! (Though I prefer to believe that some of them are just misinformed. The people who honestly believe this shit can go to hell)

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
bjj hero said:
I would play the shit out of a cow inseminating game. Good idea PETA.
Why just that? Make it a full on ranching management game where we breed the cows, raise them, milk them, and later on slaughter them for their beef.

I'd play that.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Saltyk said:
Just a few things that PETA is against.
-Animal testing. Including testing that gave us medicine like insulin (one of PETA's top members is diabetic).
-Service animals, like those that help blind people.
-Pets. Like the dog or cat most of us had growing up.

Yeah, PETA can go fuck itself.
Being against animal testing isn't hypocritical if they simply care more about animals than people. Service animals could easily be a necessary evil in their book (which we are supposed to develop away from yada yada). Though being against pets mystifies me too. Maybe something about pet breeds being evil or whatever.
Saltyk said:
McElroy said:
I agree. It should've been a human milking game.
Pretty sure that would be rated Adult Only. And wouldn't be the same type of milk.
Cow milk doesn't come from dicks?!

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Seconding Saelune that this is a foolish complaint, not that this type of complaint is inherently wrong.

Though, this is one of the much more reasonable things PETA has said recently. If it were not for more or less everything PETA has done (at least that people remember), they might have gotten a reasonable argument about how dairy farms are run going. But they'd cried wolf, so nobody believes them about the poodle.