286: The 12-Year-Old English Kid Who Carried Us to Victory

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I missed this the first time around but I'm glad I got to read it. It's a little ridiculous, but a fun read nonetheless.

atomictoast

Aug 7, 2009
People like this making online gaming worth it in the end. When you finally get that perfect team, and everything comes together JUST right.

Closest i've had to this was some guy in a Left 4 Dead 2 game on expect, managed to keep us in perfect order and got us through some of the toughest gaming ever. We took down 2 tanks and a witch in the same match with no deaths on our side.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
There should definitly be a video following this article, pertaining the game in description.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
That's a great story. I've never heard of a 12 year old kid on CoD that isn't unleashing squeaky voiced swears and lame outdated your mom jokes.

Orthon

Mar 28, 2009
This kid sounds awesome. However, I think that if I would've encountered someone like Pip, I would not follow. I just don't want to win that much, I don't care about winning. Playing a game and enjoying it is what matters to me, and that's often unrelated to whether I'm winning or not.

Also, listening to "Holding out for a Hero" by Bonnie Tyler while reading this was hilarious.

ralfy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 21, 2008
Wonderful, thanks! You will find similar players in some clans and online competitions, but rarely in public servers.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
believer258 said:
BehattedWanderer said:
Ender Wiggin much? Fascinating. Missed this the first time 'round, glad it came back as a best of. Great read, and proof that there are those around who still care for the game, not just the shit talking.
Ha! I didn't think of this until I read your post, but you know this sounds like a real life Ender Wiggin. Except they didn't wipe out an entire species, and there was no little egg left as a last remnant of that species.
Eh. Semantics. It's the principle of the thing. Although, you could make a case for some extended metaphors were the egg for the future and species to be eradicated, like "intelligent, collaborative teamwork to win the next 10 consecutive rounds" as the egg, and "kicked some sniper ass" as the eradication...but that sounds like justifications to things that really don't need playing up. Still, interesting way to make me think.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
It's a shame so many judge on a high voice, I've been running a WOW guild of four years, and I've had quality officers I'd trust the whole guild to, who were quite capable of making sensible decisions, and I've had complete assholes over 30.

Mythrignoc

Oct 17, 2009
Know what's more annoying and pointless than listening to someone talk shit on an FPS multiplayer game?

People who use phrases like "The N Word" or "A word that starts with N and rhymes with chigger" as if that somehow isn't actually saying ******. Why do we fear a word like that? It's one thing if you're gonna call someone a ******, that IS offensive, but saying "someone called me that" or "This is what that word means" or what have you, that's not. Words are just words, and to quote a late comedian:

"There are 400,000 words in the English language, and 7 you can't say on television. 400,000 to 7, that's a pretty fucked up ratio isn't it?"

I seriously couldn't get through this article at all because Fuck and Shit were words that could be used but ****** and ****** had to be so condescendingly stated and yet because of how language works, still actually states the word. It's political facesaving, it's not actually avoiding the use of the word, can't stand that crap.

Mythrignoc

Oct 17, 2009
dathwampeer said:
Mythrignoc said:
Know what's more annoying and pointless than listening to someone talk shit on an FPS multiplayer game?

People who use phrases like "The N Word" or "A word that starts with N and rhymes with chigger" as if that somehow isn't actually saying ******. Why do we fear a word like that? It's one thing if you're gonna call someone a ******, that IS offensive, but saying "someone called me that" or "This is what that word means" or what have you, that's not. Words are just words, and to quote a late comedian:

"There are 400,000 words in the English language, and 7 you can't say on television. 400,000 to 7, that's a pretty fucked up ratio isn't it?"

I seriously couldn't get through this article at all because Fuck and Shit were words that could be used but ****** and ****** had to be so condescendingly stated and yet because of how language works, still actually states the word. It's political facesaving, it's not actually avoiding the use of the word, can't stand that crap.
That's the most retarded reason for ignoring a article that I've ever heard.

If it irks you so be it. But don't judge an entire article based on someone's use of manners.

Whether you agree with it or not the 'N' word. And I will be calling it that, is not a socially acceptable word. unless you're trying to evoke a reaction, it probably doesn't need to be said. If you want to say it, more power to you. But don't judge others because they choose not to use it.

Fuck is an expression, as is shit. It's not necessarily derogatory. You can use the word without malice. The 'N' word on the other hand. That cannot be said without malice, (unless used ironically, which is just as redundant.) if someone chooses to avoid using it for chance of offending someone, then it's their choice. Judging what is essentially a piece of prose based on that is, in my opinion, fucking annoying.

"****** is a word used to insult black people"

There, I just used your oh so taboo "N word" without malice defeating most of your argument.

However, you mostly MISSED my point by a mile so I'm going to explain it again. I am not disturbed that he avoided saying the word, I am disturbed that he chose to use a method that deludes people into thinking they avoided the word, when it didn't at all.

Saying "The N Word" doesn't change anything, everyone's mind immediately goes to ******, making the phrase synonymous with the word itself. Neither has any less meaning, both point to one definition, the disparaging of black people, and thus saying "The N Word" is no different and no less or more insulting than saying ******.

Furthermore, he chose to go beyond that and basically go for a childish route by rhyming. I may have overlooked the whole "The N word" and "The F word for gay people" but "A word that starts with N that rhymes with chigger." That's infantile, and not to be respected in my opinion.

That is why I chose not to read his argument. Not because he didn't say it, but because he did while thinking he didn't.