288: Achiever, Explorer, Socializer, Killer

James Bishop

Spoony Bard
Jan 12, 2011
tehbeard said:
I'd also like to add that there is spleef for clubs to partake in.
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Spleef

i know the article is written with regards to creative servers, but spleef can be built/played on survival severs as well.
Awesome! This was something I didn't know about but completely fits typical club behavior in a non-club environment.

Also, Femaref (and others), I concede the point that there was a form of SMP before Beta. But I guess it depends on when you consider a feature done/released when the game hasn't even technically come out yet.

The Random One: Much <3 for Bartle.

(Also, got my account sorted out. Hooray!)

aldowyn

Mar 1, 2010
No offense, but it seems to me the article was entirely about how Bartle's theories applied to Minecraft, when it's readily apparent that these apply to any online gaming community. After all, that article was written in what, the mid-late 90's? Anyway, it was before MMO's got big, certainly before WoW and as far as I can tell even before Everquest and Ultima Online. So, this was a world where MUDs (and all their offspring) were pretty much the only online gaming communities - so an article designed to define player types in that game logically can be applied to later descendants of the genre i.e. MMOs.

Alakaizer

Aug 1, 2008
aldowyn said:
No offense, but it seems to me the article was entirely about how Bartle's theories applied to Minecraft, when it's readily apparent that these apply to any online gaming community. After all, that article was written in what, the mid-late 90's? Anyway, it was before MMO's got big, certainly before WoW and as far as I can tell even before Everquest and Ultima Online. So, this was a world where MUDs (and all their offspring) were pretty much the only online gaming communities - so an article designed to define player types in that game logically can be applied to later descendants of the genre i.e. MMOs.
Considering the rest of this week's major articles were all Minecraft-related, no surprise that the main focus was the Bartle theory applied to Minecraft. Had there been an article like this(since I don't know if there was or not) about WoW during any week where all main articles are about WoW, again, no surprise.
antman9000 said:
ive played multiplayer survival, its like the only thing i do play. when it went from alpha to beta, cause all the servers werent updated, everything was in the nether. now that was some crazy multiplayer fun
Yeah, to return to the upper world, the server admin needs to change "hellworld=true" to "hellworld=false" in the server.properties file. Not before looting enough hellstone to make everburning fire, of course.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
OnlyIxon said:
1. Due to the nature of The Escapist's editorial calendar, this was submitted either before or on the day of Beta going live. :) Thus the seemingly strange comments about multiplayer.
Perhaps, but that makes this particular excerpt even more confusing:
Even with the game being in Beta and without survival mode in it,