288: Crafting Oblivion

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Holy balls. That is........fucking impressive. And scarily awesome.

I hope this goes as swimmingly as it possibly can :)

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Minecraft Normandy would be pretty awesome. Also, I can barely build a cave either.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I'm not so good at making stuff. No, if you want me to take a mountain down, I can do that.

JamesBr

Nov 4, 2010
heh, I just reinstalled oblivion. i wonder if they're including the sewers. either way that's really sweet. it's nice to see a "toy" for all ages that is bringing people together to built these large scale projects.

chickenlord

May 14, 2008
blast and damn-nation .... i should have acted... their already here... their defeat was only a delay... i should have started this when i was thinking about it 2 months ago =/

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I like the idea, I'd like to help, but I don't think I would have the time and dedication to do something like this, just a little excuse to play multiplayer in survival mode to build something huge.

Also, looking forward to see how the Fire Temple and the Normandy goes.

Ravek

Aug 6, 2009
To complete a project of this magnitude, the team would have to mine an area of 500x500 blocks all the way down to bedrock - or, roughly 1.25 million blocks.
That would imply that the surface is only 5 blocks above bedrock. It's more like 64 blocks in reality. What are the correct figures?

DPunch4

May 6, 2009
It's easily 15 million blocks to break... It's more then that, but I'm lazy so I did an easy round up.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Kudos on doing the work properly. I love survival mode, I can't play minecraft any other way. Of course I tend to build forts, mines, and shelters that can only be described as "Brutalist" Le Corbusier would be proud.

Georgie_Leech

Nov 10, 2009
This got me google-ing for other Minecraft masterpieces. So far, every World Monument I've looked for has been created, or is in the works. The scope of this game is simply flabbergasting.

Minecrafters should be a bonus culture in the Civ games. +9001% to Wonder production.

rvdm88

Jun 11, 2008
Nice little server u got there, though the "scale" of the Imperial City isnt something i havnt seen on our own server, the Dutch "TweakCraft" server.
its also Survival Multiplayer with everything needing to be mined.

On our server we do loads of those 1:1 projects, ranging from the Towerbridge and Hogwarts to the Forbidden city in Bejing, with the Bejing project being 1500x2000 big.

this is a (work in progress) picture of Orthanc Dur from Lord of the Rings:

Feel free to look around though to build you need a friend on the server...

The server is at:
mc.grum.nl

The (dutch) website is:
www.Tweakcraft.net

Ze_Reaper_Of_Zeath

Feb 20, 2010
Congrats on getting this featured on the Escapist. I was glad that I was part of this for a short while.
Best of luck, and hopefully, this will become a famous project.

- Reaper

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Blackadder51 said:
EDIT: Also if possible can move this discussion to the thread linked in the article, i would hate to fill this thread with off topic information.
Sorry to not bring this up on the escapecraft forum, but can you provide detailed, easy directions to the Imperial City site or a map of the area? I got killed during the project and can't find my way back there from the spawn point.

Blackadder51

Escapecraft Operator
Jun 25, 2009
maninahat said:
Blackadder51 said:
EDIT: Also if possible can move this discussion to the thread linked in the article, i would hate to fill this thread with off topic information.
Sorry to not bring this up on the escapecraft forum, but can you provide detailed, easy directions to the Imperial City site or a map of the area? I got killed during the project and can't find my way back there from the spawn point.
type /compass

head North.

Also look for the imperial dragon on the map.

http://wokka.org/mine/current.png

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
So what's the plan to avoid the ever rampant griefing? Not to be a doom-sayer but I find more griefing videoes than I do actual nice videoes about MC.

aldowyn

Mar 1, 2010
Another amazing project. Actually, there's no way this isn't the biggest I've seen, unless the Imperial City is smaller than a spaceship (I assume it's supposed to be 1:1? I don't remember reading it). Should log on, just to say I helped!

I don't have enough time to devote to a project like this, or I would have made a Normandy a long time ago. I did make an off-proportion (way too fat - hit the ceiling) Barad-dur, complete with Eye of Sauron, the AC symbol/logo, the Tri-Force, a Master Sword shrine with 4 Tri-forces forming a pyramid... Couple other things. Nothing on the massive scale of these - even the tower only took 3-4 hours I think.

Way too much awesome stuff to do in too little time, hmm?