DDO Unlimited Opens to the Public

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
DDO Unlimited Opens to the Public

Dungeons & Dragons Online: Eberron Unlimited, the free-to-play relaunch of Dungeons & Dragons Online, is now live and open to the public.

After a successful "head start" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94527-Dungeons-Dragons-Online-Relaunches-to-Success] launch for previous subscribers and beta testers, DDO Unlimited opened to the public today. Gamers can jump in and start playing the D&D-based MMOG absolutely free, buying in-game items, adventure packs and other items and services "a la carte," while subscriptions are still available for those who want unlimited access to all of the game's content.

"The DDO Unlimited Beta program has been a huge success and the initial response to the game from both press and players has been nothing short of phenomenal," said Turbine CEO Jim Crowley. "In response, we have already more than doubled our capacity to handle the increased demand."

Turbine announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92293-Dungeons-Dragons-Online-Going-Free-to-Play-UPDATED] in June that it would begin offering a free-to-play option for North American gamers this summer and yesterday the company said the relaunch of the game had been a big success, with "millions" of Turbine points sold and spent in the DDO Store even though access to the game was still limited.

"We've come a long way since our launch and it has been very rewarding to see the positive response to the game from players and reporters alike," added Executive Producer Fernando Paiz. "DDO Unlimited's future is very bright and we're already getting more adventures ready to introduce to the game later in the year."

Unfortunately, DDO Unlimited is only free to North American gamers; for the moment, European players are still required to pay standard subscription rates. Try out the new and improved (and free!) DDO Unlimited for yourself at ddo.com.

VitusPrime

Sep 26, 2008
Malygris said:
Unfortunately, DDO Unlimited is only free to North American gamers; for the moment, European players are still required to pay standard subscription rates. Try out the new and improved (and free!) DDO Unlimited for yourself at ddo.com.

Wrong, i can play it, and im from eu,
Well the tutorial. my net failz so im still downloading it

Ghostkai

Jun 14, 2008
This "free" version is extremely misleading....

There's 20 levels right, but the catch is, every four levels you have to BUY the next four. Oh granted, theres a TINY chance of getting the special item that grants the next 4 levels from dungeon bosses (like, Blades of Azzinoth rarity for the higher level ones)

So unless your willing to either grind like a Korean gold farmer for the item every 4 levels, or get out your wallets, don't bother with the download.

(The 4 level bullshit feels like a trial, and therefore is a deal-breaker for me, how did they win March Mayhem again? -.-)

Also,

Malygris said:
Not true, it's "free" for everyone.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Ghostkai said:
(The 4 level bullshit feels like a trial, and therefore is a deal-breaker for me, how did they win March Mayhem again? -.-)
Noooo! The mods are really touchy on that. Seriously, it's like "The Contest that Must Not be Named".

(You know, like Voldermort in Harry Pott-- ah, forget it)

Yeah, anyway. I can't tell you, because I'll get banhammered.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
That's they way these should go.
I hope the Old Republic publishers are looking at this because I don't know any 360 owners willing to pay an additional monthly fee.

Ghostkai

Jun 14, 2008
Sparrow said:
Ghostkai said:
Noooo! The mods are really touchy on that. Seriously, it's like "The Contest that Must Not be Named".

(You know, like Voldermort in Harry Pott-- ah, forget it)

Yeah, anyway. I can't tell you, because I'll get banhammered.
Oh, I'm fully aware of that ordeal, my point being, they've clearly screwed people over by claiming something to now be completely free, but essentially it's like less than a quarter of the game, then forcing you to buy stuff (did you know you have to buy quest lines too? more money yay). I wasn't referencing any under handed tactics or what was "fair" in the March events, just to clarify. More along the lines of "when people find out they'll uninstall, how could the winner (of MM) think this was a good idea?"

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
*in strong South African accent* "bah worried?!"

In other words I just don't care anymore...

TechNoFear

Mar 22, 2009
Ghostkai said:
There's 20 levels right, but the catch is, every four levels you have to BUY the next four. Oh granted, theres a TINY chance of getting the special item that grants the next 4 levels from dungeon bosses
Getting a level token as loot is not the only way to get one and you get free points for playing.

So if you are unlucky enough not to get a free level token you can choose to;

1. stop playing having never spent a cent to try DDO

2. spend a few $ to buy you way to 20th, getting bonuses like 2 free character slots etc

3. grind for points to buy a level token (about 2-3 hours)

4. whine on a forum how a free game ripped you off....

TechNoFear

Mar 22, 2009
Ghostkai said:
my point being, they've clearly screwed people over by claiming something to now be completely free,
You expected to be able to play a whole MMO for free?

And blame the makers of the product when your unreasonable expections are not meet.

Very mature....

Ghostkai

Jun 14, 2008
TechNoFear said:
Ghostkai said:
There's 20 levels right, but the catch is, every four levels you have to BUY the next four. Oh granted, theres a TINY chance of getting the special item that grants the next 4 levels from dungeon bosses
Getting a level token as loot is not the only way to get one and you get free points for playing.

So if you are unlucky enough not to get a free level token you can choose to;

1. stop playing having never spent a cent to try DDO

2. spend a few $ to buy you way to 20th, getting bonuses like 2 free character slots etc

3. grind for points to buy a level token (about 2-3 hours)

4. whine on a forum how a free game ripped you off....
I have access to VIP should I wish thank you very much (still got original game from release). I won't be one of those F2P players, sadly, I know this will annoy alot of people, and cut the new intake of players in half. It's a shame too, because I know a few of my mates wanted to play this with me. I know for sure they won't now. Which is aggrivating. Also, consider that you have to buy alot of the quest packs if you even want a hope of leveling at a half decent rate (past level 5), which is another turn off for alot of players. They had a good idea, and have taken it the wrong way.

And for the record, if your going to be facetious, at least keep it constructive, I could make a gag about your vested interest in this topic being linked with your date on joining the escapist, but I'm not going to.

And, aswel, thank you for the double post. ^_^

Anyway, I shan't let this decent into a flame war, which is clearly what your aiming for with your bold assumptions and your insults.

TechNoFear

Mar 22, 2009
Ghostkai said:
Also, consider that you have to buy alot of the quest packs if you even want a hope of leveling at a half decent rate (past level 5), which is another turn off for alot of players.
It is obvious you have not played the game as this is untrue.
(the best XP and loot / min quests at 5-8 are the free ie SC, ToD, Gwylans, Pit)

You are annoyed that Turbine won MM and seem to feel have to bad mouth Turbine (because they did not give you a totally free MMO to play).

Ghostkai said:
at least keep it constructive,
Your post was constructive?

I thought it was biased, immature and inaccurate.

EDIT:
I see you have now edited your post to say you are not responding, after reading this post.

I suppose it is better to run than lose.

asinann

Apr 28, 2008
Ghostkai said:
This "free" version is extremely misleading....

There's 20 levels right, but the catch is, every four levels you have to BUY the next four. Oh granted, theres a TINY chance of getting the special item that grants the next 4 levels from dungeon bosses (like, Blades of Azzinoth rarity for the higher level ones)

So unless your willing to either grind like a Korean gold farmer for the item every 4 levels, or get out your wallets, don't bother with the download.

Also,

Malygris said:
Not true, it's "free" for everyone.
They give out free points for doing missions too, and the items to level aren't that expensive. The ripoff comes in the form of the adventure packs. Mind you, if you pay them a month's subscription fee you can level as much as you want and all the content is open. You also get the monk and warforged that you would normally have to buy.

Ghostkai

Jun 14, 2008
TechNoFear said:
It is obvious you have not played the game as this is obviously untrue.
(the best XP and loot / min quests at 5-8 are the free ie SC, ToD, Gwylans, Pit)
Check the forums (sadly down atm), countless people from beta etc. Complained about reaching "walls" (being lost, and not knowing where to go next) due to most quests being premium or vip exclusive (premium being that they've brought them ofc). This should have been addressed in beta stage, and you know it.

TechNoFear said:
You are annoyed that Turbine won MM and seem to feel have to bad mouth Turbine (because they did not give you a totally free MMO to play).
Not at all, my only grief really is the 4 level limitations, and quest limitations, with the purchases associated with them. I truely think they will turn away alot of players with that choice. As I said, I actually bought stormreach on release (pre-ordered because I liked the beta so much), and naturally, I have VIP if I want it. I have no problems with the game itself, it has solid lore, gameplay and mechanics. Nor Turbine, for I'm also a fan of Lotro (though sadly, only on mate's copy). And money doesn't come into it either, I am currently paying subs for WoW and 2 EVE accounts.

TechNoFear said:
I thought it was biased, immature and inaccurate.
I'll admit it's a biased opinion, but what opinions aren't? I had 3 guys wanting to play with me today, (and it would give me an oppertunity to get back into it aswel) two of them have put aside the game already, and one is "giving it a go". Hopefully he'll take to it.

And for the record, I think the TP system is a great idea, one that many other companies will hopefully mimic. I just feel that certain core features in a RPG should come as standard.

Again, not looking for an argument(I like the game btw, I'm only commenting on the Turbine Store choices as you'll notice, not gameplay or anything like that)

On a side note, what server?

Ghostkai

Jun 14, 2008
asinann said:
They give out free points for doing missions too, and the items to level aren't that expensive. The ripoff comes in the form of the adventure packs. Mind you, if you pay them a month's subscription fee you can level as much as you want and all the content is open. You also get the monk and warforged that you would normally have to buy.
Yep, I have access to that shizz myself, my grievences, as stated in other posts; is because I had a few friends who wanted in on this aswel today, but these design choices for the levels and adventure packs have turned them off.

Delmar Wynn

Nov 12, 2002
Why are people having a tough time understanding this business model?

Freerealms, Wizard101, Maple Story, Runes of Magic, and a dozen other titles use this same "free-to-play" model.

The game is free to play, but if you want to do certain things then you will have to pay for it. Turbine at least gives a means of actually earning some of those features for free.

In my opinion, Turbine finally did to DDO what they should have done when they launched. Everyone compared DDO to Guild Wars and said it shouldn't be a subscription based game. Well instead of taking the NCSoft model and releasing an expansions pack every 6 months, Turbine took the micro-transaction approach and said "Play the parts you want!".

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
I'm guessing because I bought into the game many moons ago (beta and subbed for a while), I'm a Premium member. Would it be possible to purchase the game for 5 bucks (I've seen it as low as $2) and get to premium status as well? Or is it too late for that?

TechNoFear

Mar 22, 2009
Ghostkai said:
Not at all, my only grief really is the 4 level limitations, and quest limitations, with the purchases associated with them. I truely think they will turn away alot of players with that choice.
Again you complain because your unreasonable expectations are not reached.

Do you whine as much because a demo is not the whole game?

Ghostkai said:
As I said, I actually bought stormreach on release (pre-ordered because I liked the beta so much), and naturally, I have VIP if I want it.
Do you mean DDO:Unlimited beta or the one three years ago (Stormreach)?

Actually you are Premium (someone who has spent one cent at the DDO store ever) not VIP (active sub).

Ghostkai said:
I'll admit it's a biased opinion, but what opinions aren't?
Objective, by definition.

Broadcasting one's biased opinions to all and sundry is not considered an sign of maturity.

maddog015 said:
Would it be possible to purchase the game for 5 bucks (I've seen it as low as $2) and get to premium status as well? Or is it too late for that?
I think you can still do it. IIRC have seen posts saying you can use the code in the box for a months sub (VIP), going down to Premium after it runs out.

So $15 value for $5....

Has to be a new account though, don't think you can reactivate an old one.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
At first I thought the 4 level system was stupid, but at least there is a way to advance the 4 levels without paying. I imagine the items bought in the store are far superior to any items you could get in the free game, but that's to be expected. If the game is good enough I would consider paying to get those items.

However, I just started playing Guild Wars again so I won't be trying this for a while.

Just one question though. What is the level cap in DDO?