DDO Unlimited Opens to the Public

Ghostkai

Jun 14, 2008
TechNoFear said:
Again you complain because your unreasonable expectations are not reached.

Do you whine as much because a demo is not the whole game?
This isn't a demo, point in case. And again, let me stress, I have access to all of this. My point is it has, and no doubt will turn away others.

TechNoFear said:
Do you mean DDO:Unlimited beta or the one three years ago (Stormreach)?
Original, though I did get on the Ulimited beta too, only played for couple days though in that. ^_^ had active sub for like 7 months. It's my understanding that returning players can attain VIP, but have prem as standard.

Ghostkai

Jun 14, 2008
Internet Kraken said:
At first I thought the 4 level system was stupid, but at least there is a way to advance the 4 levels without paying. I imagine the items bought in the store are far superior to any items you could get in the free game, but that's to be expected. If the game is good enough I would consider paying to get those items.

However, I just started playing Guild Wars again so I won't be trying this for a while.

Just one question though. What is the level cap in DDO?
20 currently (but it's fairly well paced leveling, don't expect 20 in a day like in GW)

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Ghostkai said:
Internet Kraken said:
At first I thought the 4 level system was stupid, but at least there is a way to advance the 4 levels without paying. I imagine the items bought in the store are far superior to any items you could get in the free game, but that's to be expected. If the game is good enough I would consider paying to get those items.

However, I just started playing Guild Wars again so I won't be trying this for a while.

20 currently (but it's fairly well paced leveling, don't expect 20 in a day like in GW)
I see. I guess there will be no harm in at least trying it.

Kuala BangoDango

Mar 19, 2009
Ghostkai said:
Internet Kraken said:

Yup. And each level has 5 sub-levels where you get enhancement points for new skills so in a way that makes it more. In other words, you can look forward to the sub-levels almost as much as the normal levels.

DrunkWithPower said:
I was thinking about it but then it said "Come kick some axe" then I said no.
I politely call shenanigans. :) People don't get turned off from a game merely because of a cheesy slogan. You're just trying to rub it in our faces that they picked that as our slogan, but guess what....we're already ashamed enough of it as is...you can't make us feel any lower about that particular topic. Right? :)

TechNoFear

Mar 22, 2009
DrunkWithPower said:
I was thinking about it but then it said "Come kick some axe" then I said no.
Atari doing no marketing would be better than that slogan.

Delmar Wynn said:
In my opinion, Turbine finally did to DDO what they should have done when they launched. Everyone compared DDO to Guild Wars and said it shouldn't be a subscription based game. Well instead of taking the NCSoft model and releasing an expansions pack every 6 months, Turbine took the micro-transaction approach and said "Play the parts you want!".
IMO Turbine has again missed the mark.

They could ahve been the first MMO (AFAIK) with user generated content.

This would have attracted all the D&D DMs out there who want to create adventures as well as play them.

It would have solved DDOs other problem, slow development of hand crafted adventures.

Delmar Wynn

Nov 12, 2002
TechNoFear said:

This would have attracted all the D&D DMs out there who want to create adventures as well as play them.
I personally blame Atari for this. I think they wanted to keep that in the Neverwinter Nights family.

If Cryptic comes out with a NWN MMO that providers user generated content we will know for sure then.

Kuala BangoDango

Mar 19, 2009
TechNoFear said:
IMO Turbine has again missed the mark.

It would have solved DDOs other problem, slow development of hand crafted adventures.
If they could find some way to implement this, it would be a huge thing. User mods add years to a game's life. When CoH/V implemented their user made content ability they got more quests/instances made by players in the first 24 hours than all their own devs were able to do during the whole time the game was built and out.

You just have to make sure there's a way to separate good content from bad.

Have you given this suggestion in the game's Suggestion Forums?

TechNoFear

Mar 22, 2009
Delmar Wynn said:
If Cryptic comes out with a NWN MMO that providers user generated content we will know for sure then.
Turbine gave up exclusive rights to D&D MMO's in 2006.

Cryptic should have the tech (engine, billing and RDBS) already leaving only art, game system and content.

A NWN MMO _could_ be ready 2010 if the 2008 rumours are true.

Kuala BangoDango said:
You just have to make sure there's a way to separate good content from bad.
Easy....

Submit to Turbine.
Devs quick vet for bugs, exploits and balance.
Post on test server for month (where characters are not perm).
Vote on forum for best new content.
Devs indepth test for bugs, exploits and balance.
Winners rolled to live each month.

Kuala BangoDango said:
Have you given this suggestion in the game's Suggestion Forums?
I have mentioned it once or twice...

Earlier this year Turbine stated they had no current plans for UGC (Kate Piaz in Feb IIRC).

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
Ghostkai said:
There's 20 levels right, but the catch is, every four levels you have to BUY the next four. Oh granted, theres a TINY chance of getting the special item that grants the next 4 levels from dungeon bosses (like, Blades of Azzinoth rarity for the higher level ones)
Blades of Azzinoth actually had a pretty high droprate.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I see some misinformation going on here. Namely, you don't have to buy levels after level 4. The item that unlocks levels 5-8 is a potential random quest reward and you can get it from pretty much any quest. The same goes for all the level unlocking items.

If you want something to complain about, you should try the fact that around level 10 there is almost no free content anymore and the game is in effect no longer F2P anymore...

Kuala BangoDango

Mar 19, 2009
Jandau said:
If you want something to complain about, you should try the fact that around level 10 there is almost no free content anymore and the game is in effect no longer F2P anymore...
Except that you earn free Turbine Points just by completing quests, so that by the time you "run out" (assuming you don't want to repeat quests) you can buy some more with the points you've earned.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Kuala BangoDango said:
Jandau said:
Except that you earn free Turbine Points just by completing quests, so that by the time you "run out" (assuming you don't want to repeat quests) you can buy some more with the points you've earned.
Except that the points you earn are a pittance to say the least. It takes 6-10 quests completed at the highest difficulty level (which practically mandates a party) to get 100 Favor (which equals 25 Turbine points). You can't grind quests over and over since you only get the Favor reward for the quest once. Cheapest low level Adventure pack costs about 250. The higher level ones cost a LOT more.

So no, you can't just "buy more" by the time you run out. By the time you run out you can go make another character, have him grind ALL the content over again, delete him (since you only get two character slots) and do it again and again and again just to get enough points to get one high level pack.

Technically, you can eventually get all the content for free. You can also dig a tunnel through the Rocky Mountains with a hairpin... eventually...

Kuala BangoDango

Mar 19, 2009
Jandau said:
Except that the points you earn are a pittance to say the least. It takes 6-10 quests completed at the highest difficulty level (which practically mandates a party) to get 100 Favor (which equals 25 Turbine points). You can't grind quests over and over since you only get the Favor reward for the quest once. Cheapest low level Adventure pack costs about 250. The higher level ones cost a LOT more.

So no, you can't just "buy more" by the time you run out. By the time you run out you can go make another character, have him grind ALL the content over again, delete him (since you only get two character slots) and do it again and again and again just to get enough points to get one high level pack.

Technically, you can eventually get all the content for free. You can also dig a tunnel through the Rocky Mountains with a hairpin... eventually...
Correct. I didn't say that it was easy, or even that it was worth it, I just merely said it CAN be done, which means you CAN play the whole game free if you really really REALLY want to play the whole game free.

I would also guess that with the upcoming content additions they're already preparing that some of it should be free (hopefully). Turbine knows that free players are a lot of the people joining right now, and if they don't release some free content from time to time they risk driving away many of those free players that "hit the wall" that you mentioned. So, it's in their best interest to give us more free high level stuff. It's probably easier to eventually get money from a free player you string along with occasional free content than it is to get it from a free player who's left the game.

baylensman

Aug 9, 2007
So many people complain about cable tv bundling channels they don't want with some the do. and therefore "paying" for what they don't want. Turbine acutally allows you to choose which adventures to "buy", which races or classes to "buy" if you want. Getting favor is not that hard, the first favor based enhancement or unlock is the drow race at 400 favor, most folks can get this in the first 4 levels. the other thing is turbine points are per account. not character. so its possible to play levels 1-4 with multiple toons and quickly get lots of points to "buy" your level pack.