293: Advice for Serial Killers

Chris Gardiner

Feb 14, 2011
Advice for Serial Killers

Chris Gardiner, one of the writers of Echo Bazaar, looks at serial killers and the clichés that make them problematic in videogames.

Read Full Article

jamez525

Wasting His Title
Oct 4, 2009
I've never even thought about why serial killers aren't very common in games, they seem like they would work really well until you really start to think about it. Good article.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
What about a game where YOU the player are a serial killer? I mean with us running around sandbox worlds killing people (Fallout NV running around goodsprings with an axe...) it only seems natural, I surprised I can't think of any

though that would give the moral gaurdians another thing to point and scream at

Mar 30, 2010
Vault101 said:
What about a game where YOU the player are a serial killer? I mean with us running around sandbox worlds killing people (Fallout NV running around goodsprings with an axe...) it only seems natural, I surprised I can't think of any
The whole of the GTA series, really. Ok, I suppose 'mass-murderer' would be a better fit for the main chararcters in GTA, as 'serial killer' implies methodical planning and similar MOs as opposed to simply running over/stabbing/shooting/burning the nearest person because you were bored.

OT: I suppose the reason games haven't portrayed serial killers that much is because Hollywood is doing it all the time. Besides, the CSI family is already big enough without two new siblings - CSI:360 and CSI:pS3.

EDIT - How could I have forgotten the Ass Creed series? Now that really is serial killer stuff, planning your assassination, stalking the target, gathering intel, plotting your way into their home and your escape route out? Looking at it like that I'd say that's a pretty good serial killer simulation [sub]sorry[/sub] trainer [sub]dammit[/sub] game.

EDIT 2 - I've just remembered the Hitman series too. Sorry 47, don't feel left out.

Milenkov

Aug 16, 2009
Vault101 said:

What you described seems a lot like the manhunt series, albeit your character is forced into his circumstances if I recall.

ConnorCool

Master Assassin
Apr 23, 2009
Grouchy Imp said:
The whole of the GTA series, really.
There is definitely one in there. GTA IV had a serial killer, you heard about him on the radio and could watch about it on the news and read about it on the internet. Then you could meet him for a few side missions, in which he was creepy as hell. I think the implemented it really well, it wasn't at the fore of the game, or even the story, but if you took the chance to listen, you could find out that there was another murderer roaming the streets besides yourself. Who know who might be a serial killer in real life? I think GTA IV nailed it.
/nerd praise

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Interesting article, Chris. Big Echo Bazaar addict here, but I can't say I've encountered Jack-Of-Smiles yet.

Vault101 said:

That's the thing--since the typical game focuses so heavily on combat, your average player character systematically murders hundreds of people by the end of the story. How can you get worked up about one guy who kills a mere half-dozen unrelated people?

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Vault101 said:

Remember Postal? Yeah...

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
SKX is a serial killer in Condemned but that series just goes off the wall after a while so...

I think the answer to the question is that players *are* serial killers. Think about it, the player butchers thousands of NPCs in the average game often in a repetitive style or with a limited arsenal.

Some games even have you take trophies, most noticeably from boss fights.

Although most players are like the evil squared love child of a Spree killer and Serial killer.

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
Pararaptor said:
Vault101 said:

I think I'd give up on gaming if this was made. Nothing can improve on that.

I should clarify though, murder on your terms. Not killing as efficiently as possible because you're payed to do it, killing how you want, who you want.
But the fun in BEING the serial killer would be the fact that people will be looking for you, picking out your quirks to see if you qualify as the guy who killed x , etc. Fallout doesn't do that...

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well, the truth is complicated, and I think the biggest reasons aren't covered here.

1. Game companies are increasingly reluctant to freak people out. What this means is that making horror games has become almost impossible to do, because anything that could elicit the intended reaction from a genere fan is going to see the most extreme kinds of backlash from industry critics.

Seriel killers are so scary because they actually exist. The deniability inherant in monsters, aliens, and supernatural occurances provides a layer of insulation between the content and criticism. You start dealing with seriel killers though and then you've got something for the critics to latch on to, especially if you wind up with a gamer who winds up killing people in a manner vaguely similar to your game even without any kind of direct inspiration.

2. It can be hard to intergrate a seriel killer into a lot of games simply because of the player's hero doing all the stuff the killer is doing. I mean it's hard to say "this is evil" when you have games where the player runs around stealing everything that isn't nailed down (and if they have a claw hammer they get that stuff down), picking pockets, and striving to arrange the deaths of anyone they run into that has something useful in their inventory. Game developers indeed make challenges around the idea of finding ways to get items without taking more of a morality hit. This is to say nothing of games with ragdoll physics and bodies that break apart where people head out and do messed up things with the pieces.

If you toss a seriel killer into say a game like "Oblivion" or "Fallout" how can you take that seriously? I mean even if your a paragon of virtue you've doubtlessly done worse things than he has, and your body count is substantially larger (by like level 3 in more RPGs your liable to have killed more stuff than the highest real world body counts).

Now, I'll be honest in saying that I myself have looked at the sandbox crime genere, and being a horror fan, have thought it might be interesting to do a game like that based around being a seriel killer rather than simply a run of the mill violent criminal (Mafia, Gang Banger, etc...), however again in doing this I think it would generate more contreversy than the industry wants to deal with.

I'll also say that the motives of a seriel killer can be made broad enough to give him a formula while also making it exciting for the viewer instead of it being the same thing every time. Movies like "Seven" have done this brilliantly in the past. Of course what keeps people interested in such movies are the elaborate kill scenes, and all the depravity. You could do this kind of thing in a game, but the industry is afraid to really push the "M" rating the way the movie industry pushed the "R" one. Hollywood fought long and hard to be able to get away with the things it currently does, and noone in the gaming industry currently has the guts.

Interesting read for sure, but really I think the reasons for the lack of seriel killers are because of a lack of guts from the industry more than anything, and also simply that as I pointed out most games are detached enough from any semblance of reality that a seriel killer just seems kind of laughable.

As a final note for those that read this far, consider that Gilles De Rais had roughly 200 kills and it's suspected it might have been as many of 600. His victims largely being children, and he had accomplices in the form of his servants. His big thing was that he was a sexual deviant who liked to cut his own orfices for penetration out of the bodies of his victims rather than raping them normally. There may or may not have been occult aspects to it as well involving the worship of a demon known as "Baron" or "Barron". If you were to take a guy like this and put him in a game like "Oblivion" you could deal with the whole issue of how detached the player character is from morality by the nature of it being a game, due to this guy beng so over the top heinous. Of course given that Bethesda was afraid to even have children killed, never mind showing what Gilles did to the level of an "M" rating (ie showing everything but cutting away so you never see actual penetration), do you really think anyone will have the guts to go there in the forseeable future? What's more this was a real guy, and doesn't even get into real fantasy territory. Seriously... read about him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilles_De_Rais

Oh and for those who have missed it, yeah this is the guy they mean when you see writers periodically naming schools (high schools, elementary schools, etc...) after him as a sick joke.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
When you think about it, there's a few other reasons.

One, there isn't enough killing. Sure, a dozen bodies may be enough for a movie, but in a game you expect to mow through at least a thousand Legionaries of Doom by the credits, and serial killers rarely have henchman.

Two, investigation in games is difficult. The player can investigate a room for hours, and get frustrated because the DNA sample they were looking for was under the table. It's hard to get the balance right between too easy/too hard with this sort of thing.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Falseprophet said:
Interesting article, Chris. Big Echo Bazaar addict here, but I can't say I've encountered Jack-Of-Smiles yet.

Vault101 said:

That's the thing--since the typical game focuses so heavily on combat, your average player character systematically murders hundreds of people by the end of the story. How can you get worked up about one guy who kills a mere half-dozen unrelated people?
well I supose actually selecting your target and planning the kill and avoid aurthorities would be a big part of it, im not exactally sure how that would work, it kind of makes me think of assasins creed there was a small element of you planning out how you were going to kill your target (unless of coarse you go in swords blazing, Im not very good at the whole assasin thing)

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
LogicNProportion said:
Pararaptor said:
Vault101 said:

I think I'd give up on gaming if this was made. Nothing can improve on that.

I should clarify though, murder on your terms. Not killing as efficiently as possible because you're payed to do it, killing how you want, who you want.
But the fun in BEING the serial killer would be the fact that people will be looking for you, picking out your quirks to see if you qualify as the guy who killed x , etc. Fallout doesn't do that...
I was just using fallout as an example of videogame cuelty (and I loaded a save after) I had this axe which was incredibly over powered, It was in bad condition and I had a very low melle skill yet it choped up people without a problem

Jmurray21

Feb 7, 2011
HankMan said:
Hopefully L.A. Noire will find a way to address these issues.
Yeah L.A. Noire has defiantly set the tone for a serial killer.
Being in a dectivite game instantly sets the required environment.

Could you imagine the backlash on a game in which you are the serial killer.
Fox News would be all over the game and make up stories of Kids being encouraged to became serial killers. Analysts would be brought in to comment on the dangers children face when surrounded by an environment which portrays serial killers as a setting for games.
Developers and publishers that worked on the game would be put to shame.
The gaming community as a whole would suffer due to activists groups turning on the games industry as a united group.

I suppose that gives enough reasons to not make a game where you are a serial killer.
Look at what happened to Manhunt, that had huge backlash.
I'm for freedom of speech and that includes art but in today's society it's almost impossible to make something without it being political incorrect in some shape or form. Bulletstorm got associated with rape for goodness sake. People need to lighten up or we'll have to staple our tounges to the roofs of our mouths.

Neferius

Sep 1, 2010
Chris Gardiner said:
How we love you in our movies and books and TV shows. But we don't seem to love you so much in our games, do we?
--I beg to differ!

In Fallout: New Vegas for instance, you have the option of embodying a Serial-Killer through your own character via the Cannibal perk.
And though I haven't played the game myself, Prototype seems to be another sandbox game where you get to have your way with the world around you (and all those in it) in the most despicable, inhuman (and Creative) ways imaginable. It also seems like a lot of Fun :D
And need I even mention Kratos?!

Hell, by that same logic it could be stated that ALL first-person-shooters have you playing the role of a mass-murdering fiend.
Now what does that say about us as a Species hmm?