294: The Case of Dad vs. Phoenix Wright

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
THis felt like an extremely touching article about finding ways to connect with your father.

Bravo! You elicited real emotion and I quite enjoyed reading about your father's travails!

bimbley

Jan 31, 2009
Thanks Brendan, this is really personal but manages to avoid being overly familiar or soppy. I think a lot of people will recognise the willing but confused parent, who doesn't quite 'get' gaming. Yours is a great example of the way any media, including games, can be used to find common ground with those we might struggle to do so with otherwise.

-Bimbley

smudgey

May 8, 2008
Great article! Sorry to hear about your dad's health scare.
dls182 said:
That was a really great story. I'm glad to hear that your Dad's OK. I was a bit shocked when you said his heart stopped...

This also reminded me that I REALLY need to get around to playing the Phoenix Wright games
First one's on the App store now, bit cheaper than buying the DS version.

Taunta

Dec 17, 2010
This story was very heartwarming. I think it's so funny that he has nothing but complaints about it, but obviously he likes it enough to keep playing.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
The game logic may seem odd, but thats partly because they are not using the American court system that we are used to, innocent until proven guilty, and the burden of fact rests on the prosecutor.

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
Very nice. A cool story illustrating how games of any sort can bridge the gap between people.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
GiantRaven said:
I've never been exposed to the Phoenix Wright games before. They sound pretty convoluted and silly, which is definitely my kind of silly. I might have to check them out at some point, although I imagine my general ineptitude with puzzles might prove infuriating (god knows how I manage to get through an entire Professor Layton game without going insane).
If you played those old point-and-click adventure games, then you will know what to expect from Phoenix Wright. Instead of "use item with object" commands, it's "use evidence with contradictory dialogue segment." You sometimes can figure out what happened before the game tells you, so you have a bit of a classic murder mystery story on your hands. Only it's better, because half of those murder mysteries don't leave you with enough info to figure out who did it. PW wants you to figure it out, and then trap them in their own lies.

venn2011

Apr 15, 2011
Wow... this article was just beautiful. It really shows that games aren't just for kids-- it really can be an enjoyable(?) entertainment for all ages.

(I put '?' next to the word 'enjoyable', since, well... it's subjective, especially when it's 'love-to-hate' situation like in the article)

This article gives me some hope because I really love gaming & want it to be part of my life for the rest of my life. But my family thinks otherwise (to them games = for kids) and is still waiting for me to 'grow out of it.'

MetaKnight19 said:
This might sum up what I think.

http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=4796875
http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=4981887

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
I saw this piece a year or two ago - at that time I had no knowledge of the Ace Attorney series -- recently I took a look at a playthrough of a case in AA:pW 1... and then the next... and the next - shortly I was hooked - I just loved the drama, (most of) the characters and of course the music. By now I've experienced the original trilogy and working through the adventures of Apollo Justice - I plan on getting the upcoming AA 5 when it comes out to play for myself.

Anyway, I thought about this piece and began looking for it -- it was just as sweet and now much more understandable as I recalled.

Thanks to MegamanNG on youtube for letting me experience this wonderful series.