Norwegian Man Takes Incredibly Long, Incredibly Geeky Name

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Norwegian Man Takes Incredibly Long, Incredibly Geeky Name

No doubt hoping to simultaneously enrage his entire family and the local postal service, a Norwegian man has legally changed his name to Julius Andreas Gimli Arn MacGyver Chewbacka Highlander Elessar-Jankov.

Formerly known as Andreas Jankov, the "film enthusiast" says this wasn't simply the result of a drunk bet. No, Mr. Andreas Gimli Arn MacGyver Chewbacka Highlander Elessar-Jankov has been planning this switch for years.

"I wanted to show that it is possible to be serious and at the same time take the name you like," Andreas Gimli Arn MacGyver Chewbacka Highlander Elessar-Jankov said. "I wanted to see how far I could take it with respect to the number of names. I started thinking about this three years ago and it was approved in January this year."

While you probably all nodded knowingly at the "MacGyver" and "Chewbacka" parts of his new moniker, I bet you didn't think it could get any geekier than that. According to the Huffington Post [http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/09/11/julius-andreas-gimli-arn_n_284276.html?alacarte=1], you know nothing of this man's geekery. Here's their breakdown:

- Julius is an homage to the famous chimp at the Kristiansand Zoo
- 'Arn' is a Swedish knight movie
- Elessar and Gimli are from 'Lord of the Rings'
- 'MacGyver', just the greatest Richard Dean Anderson show ever!
- 'Highlander' could refer to either the movie or TV show
- Chewbacka (aka Chewbacca) is from 'Star Wars'

I guess it's quirky and geeky and whatever sort of countercultural cool you want to assign to things that he plucked a bunch of different names from films and TV, but naming yourself after a famous monkey?

What? Were there no Dinobots available? This name could use a dose of "Grimlok."

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Ooh, so he's opened the floodgates for long names, eh? Then I shall be Mobius McCloud Mcalister Wright Leon Bahamutt Klein the 42nd.

delet

Nov 2, 2008
Is he angry? Smiling? Constipated? I can't tell...

What a ridiculous name.. He should have used the first letter of all his favorite things to form them together into another of his favorite things, making the ultimate 'favorite things' type name. Not to mention, a poet :D

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
well, he looks just as you'd expect him to look, i bet he lives with his mother
people like him give us geeks a bad name

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Not that I'd judge a person by their looks but... well, look at him.

I wasn't particularly surprised after I did.

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
I once made a bet that I'd change my First name to Batman, however I don't remember what we were betting on or who won, or where we woke up come to think of it, but I posted the thing to facebook so it must be true, its like a horrible reminder for your sober side.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
The name's Andreas Gimli Arn MacGyver Chewbacka Highlander Elessar-Jankov. Julius Andreas Gimli Arn MacGyver Chewbacka Highlander Elessar-Jankov

...doesn't quite have the same ring.

DrunkWithPower

Apr 17, 2009
Where is Stromy Waters? No Kirk or Picard? How about Bruce Wayne or Peter Parker? Not even a Baldwin? And he calls himself a film enthusiast.