ClayFighter Is Back, In WiiWare Form

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
ClayFighter Is Back, In WiiWare Form

Forgotten fighting game franchise ClayFighter is getting a modern reboot on WiiWare and DSiWare next year courtesy of its original creators. Wait, you don't remember ClayFighter either?

Oh, 1993. When the soundtrack to The Bodyguard was the best selling album in the country, and two things that were all the rage with the kids - fighting games and claymation - combined into one beastly creation. ClayFighter was that creation, and it was kind of cool back then, when nobody knew any better. Kind of cool.

Well, ClayFighter is back and ready to earn a new audience. Franchise owner Interplay has recruited the team at StudioBlack Games to remake ClayFighter for WiiWare and DSiWare next summer. SudioBlack features original ClayFighter dev Eric Hart, so we can trust that this reboot will share the same spirit as the original.

"We are very enthusiastic to resurrect ClayFighter's crazy characters and unique humor," Interplay's Herve Caen said. "Eric Hart's involvement in the previous ClayFighter titles makes StudioBlack the logical choice to give this classic franchise a well-deserved makeover."

I suppose this isn't an entirely random business decision on Interplay's part. People do seem to like fighting games again (a good thing), though I can't say the same for claymation (also a good thing). And the company does seem to be very much on a roll with modern revivals of their classic franchises, with Earthworm Jim getting a facelift for modern download services, too. Come to think of it, the last ClayFighter game on the Nintendo 64 had a playable Earthworm Jim. That would be nice to see in this new ClayFighter, wouldn't it?

[Via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=223466?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS]]

(Image [http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3644/3382534119_951c939dd0.jpg])

Thomly

Feb 15, 2009
EPIC!

I still got that game for my Sega :D

Shame i don't have a DS or Wii though :(

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
Wow. It looks an awful lot like that old SNES Game where you could turn into clay fishs and beavers and stuff. That thing was amazing.
xmetatr0nx said:
Oh awesome! Too bad i dont own any nintendo products...maybe a friends house...damn they dont either. Well im fucked, i loved that game. Do Killer Instinct on PSN and im there!
And I have to agree with this. I love Killer Instinct

ratix2

Feb 6, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
Oh awesome! Too bad i dont own any nintendo products...maybe a friends house...damn they dont either. Well im fucked, i loved that game. Do Killer Instinct on PSN and im there!
dont count on it. killer instinct was made by rare, who is now owned by microsoft. ki has about as much chance to show up over psn as god of war does on the wii. it IS however coming to xbla sometime in the future. also the guys at rare have said that they would like to work on a new killer instinct game as well, so there may be a sequel on the way.
George144 said:
I loved clayfighter even if it was a tad creepy.
god, i thought i was the only one who felt that way. still was an awesome game back in the day.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
I never understood it. I ahd Clayfighters 63 and 1/3 for the 64, but sucked at it and did not know what I was doing. I really remember it though.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
If they could increase the framerate and response time, it would be one of the best fighting games ever. A modern reboot, sort of like the new street fighter, would be great.

noodlestreet

May 6, 2009
Clayfighter 63 1/3 had the best characters of any fighting game. They had more personality than any other fighting franchise characters without the use of long-winded cutscenes every 3 battles.

I mean, c'mon, a crude, flamboyant overweight man in a green tights who tossed boogers at his enemies? Not to mention Sumo Santa or the Blob. Also, Earthworm Jim was a playable character. IN A FIGHTER.

Rejuvenating this franchise is long overdue.

Powerman88

Dec 24, 2008
There are a LOT of old franchises that deserve an update before this game. I recently dusted off my SNES cart of this game and let me tell you; like Killer Instinct this game can easily be viewed through the nostalgia filter. Not as awesome as you remember. Trust me.

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
This game was a ***** to play, but the characters were great. The Blob was my favorite, though I'll never forget The King saying, "Don't touch the hair, man." Not the greatest game, but the style and humor was great. I still bring up the ROM on an emulator every now and then -- too bad all of the emulators have trouble with the digitized sound clips used for the voices.

garjian

Mar 25, 2009
I LOVE(d) Clayfighter lol...
i cant wait to see how my now matured brain reacts to it :D

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
I guess I was wrong. People do remember ClayFighter, and people want more of it. Yay?

batuea

Jun 30, 2009
noodlestreet said:
Clayfighter 63 1/3 had the best characters of any fighting game. They had more personality than any other fighting franchise characters without the use of long-winded cutscenes every 3 battles.

I mean, c'mon, a crude, flamboyant overweight man in a green tights who tossed boogers at his enemies? Not to mention Sumo Santa or the Blob. Also, Earthworm Jim was a playable character. IN A FIGHTER.

Rejuvenating this franchise is long overdue.
Heh my favorite character on SNES was the snowman Chilly, and the blob who had a "turn into a buzz saw blade and cut the other guy in half" move. Man I was just talking about this to my friend too, when this comes out, there is going to be a lot of "green" carnage for a while, *and not just clay*.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
Wasn't a version of Clayfighter released for the virtual console already? I vaguely remember that as it was announced mere days after I brought up how I would have liked to see ClayFighter brought back in a random thread; some thread about what old games people wanted to see on the latest consoles.

I owned it for the snes, along with ClayMates.