ClayFighter Is Back, In WiiWare Form

danosaurus

Mar 11, 2008
Keane Ng said:
I guess I was wrong. People do remember ClayFighter, and people want more of it. Yay?
This is what I was thinking!
Alongside 'Cruisin USA' and 'Space Station - Silicon Valley', Clayfighter was one of the most painful games I'd ever encountered on the N64.
It was sluggish and cumbersome - 2 things that should never be present in any fighting game.

All it had really was style and its graphics and even those were kinda just on par, relative to what the 64 was capable of.

edit - I just realised it's the SNES version... comment retracted!

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
This brings back such fond memories of Clayfighter 63 1/3. That was the only Clayfighter game I played, but I had a blast with it.
danosaurus said:
'Cruisin USA' ...snip... one of the most painful games I'd ever encountered on the N64.
Really? I thought that game handled alright. I didn't have any problems with it; heck, I thoroughly enjoyed it. One of few games I beat 100%.

danosaurus

Mar 11, 2008
AvsJoe said:
This brings back such fond memories of Clayfighter 63 1/3. That was the only Clayfighter game I played, but I had a blast with it.
danosaurus said:
'Cruisin USA' ...snip... one of the most painful games I'd ever encountered on the N64.
Really? I thought that game handled alright. I didn't have any problems with it; heck, I thoroughly enjoyed it. One of few games I beat 100%.
Wow!
Pretty sure you deserve a medal of Honour for that effort.

I borrowed it off a mate for a week and I had played a fair few N64 driving games before it and Cruisin' USA was, and still is, the worse driving game I've ever encountered.
The music was terrible standard MIDI, the cars handled so outrageously, you drove straight through telegraph poles, draw distance was terrible for a game with such low-qual graphics, the sprites didn't even try to be stylised (which might have excused their shabbiness) and the tracks were mundane, straightforward roads.

Did you ever play San Francisco Rush [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rm7miZB6Y4], this is what the N64 was capable of in terms of racing games.
The tracks were almost sandbox, the music was... well better than Cruisin, the graphics were about 10 years ahead of Cruisin' USA, Cars had real-time damage and this was all from the same publisher (Midway).
Add on top of that, the adventure element of collecting keys via insane jumps and stunts, 3 hidden stunt parks and unlocking a bazillion cheats and cars... I'd say that pretty much leaves Cruisin' USA in the shallow end of the pool.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
danosaurus said:
AvsJoe said:
danosaurus said:
Wow!

I borrowed it off a mate for a week and I had played a fair few N64 driving games before it and Cruisin' USA was, and still is, the worse driving game I've ever encountered.
The music was terrible standard MIDI, the cars handled so outrageously, you drove straight through telegraph poles, draw distance was terrible for a game with such low-qual graphics, the sprites didn't even try to be stylised (which might have excused their shabbiness) and the tracks were mundane, straightforward roads.

Did you ever play San Francisco Rush [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rm7miZB6Y4], this is what the N64 was capable of in terms of racing games.
The tracks were almost sandbox, the music was... well better than Cruisin, the graphics were about 10 years ahead of Cruisin' USA, Cars had real-time damage and this was all from the same publisher (Midway).
Add on top of that, the adventure element of collecting keys via insane jumps and stunts, 3 hidden stunt parks and unlocking a bazillion cheats and cars... I'd say that pretty much leaves Cruisin' USA in the shallow end of the pool.
I have played a Rush game, I don't remember which one. It had a Mountain Dew car and a taxi as unlockable cars. It was okay; I liked Cruisin' a little better.
I dunno. I have a soft spot for Cruisin' because it was only the 3rd racing game I had ever played and only the second won I ever won a race in (the first being the original Mario Kart). That and the Graphite-shaded School Bus and the hidden Fire Truck unlockable characters were awesome.
Why are you against midi music? It may be incredibly basic, but when it meshes well with SFX it makes a truly golden sound (maybe it's just me, though).

Rogue 9

I, Jedi
Jun 22, 2008
danosaurus said:
Alongside 'Cruisin USA' and 'Space Station - Silicon Valley', Clayfighter was one of the most painful games I'd ever encountered on the N64.
It was sluggish and cumbersome - 2 things that should never be present in any fighting game.

All it had really was style and its graphics and even those were kinda just on par, relative to what the 64 was capable of.

Aww, i loved Space Station Silicon Valley. I hired it for a weekend from the video store back in the day and it was the first thing I ever bought off ebay. Who could not love zooming around as a dog on wheels with rocket launchers, or a polar bear with a cannon for a nose?
But back on topic, i'm happy to hear about a new Clay Fighter. I have fond memories of both the SNES and 64 versions of the game (whether they'd live up to those memories is a different matter, but oh well)

danosaurus

Mar 11, 2008
AvsJoe said:
danosaurus said:
AvsJoe said:
danosaurus said:
Wow!

I have played a Rush game, I don't remember which one. It had a Mountain Dew car and a taxi as unlockable cars. It was okay; I liked Cruisin' a little better.
I dunno. I have a soft spot for Cruisin' because it was only the 3rd racing game I had ever played and only the second won I ever won a race in (the first being the original Mario Kart). That and the Graphite-shaded School Bus and the hidden Fire Truck unlockable characters were awesome.
Why are you against midi music? It may be incredibly basic, but when it meshes well with SFX it makes a truly golden sound (maybe it's just me, though).
That must've been San Fran Rush 2, that was huge in the Arcades around here and QLD!
I guess Nostalgia still has a large part to play in our respective loved racing games, I bet we could both go back to those games and still think they're better than most racing games nowadays...(because secretly, they totally are)
;)

(p.s jsut for the record, I'm totally not against Midi music but USA sounded to me like they'd just slapped together a few cheesy tunes, then again I still enjoy listening to cheesy midi tunes from Sim City, Transport Tycoon and the likes...)

Rogue_09 said:
danosaurus said:

Aww, i loved Space Station Silicon Valley. I hired it for a weekend from the video store back in the day and it was the first thing I ever bought off ebay. Who could not love zooming around as a dog on wheels with rocket launchers, or a polar bear with a cannon for a nose?
But back on topic, i'm happy to hear about a new Clay Fighter. I have fond memories of both the SNES and 64 versions of the game (whether they'd live up to those memories is a different matter, but oh well)
Haha don't get me wrong, I did the exact same thing. Hired it when I was a little kid, then bought it as soon as I saw it on special at EB.
Silicon Valley was a potentially rad idea but after about 7 or 8 levels, it just got beyond a joke. The level design was severely flawed and I tried REALLY hard to love that game because it did have a sick sense of humour and style but in the end, it just fell short of the mark on too many points for me :(

As for Clayfighter 63 1/3, I just... I just couldn't deal with it haha.

SomeUnregPunk

Jan 15, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L62Zx4YdG1M ...the best character is the one that makes you laugh as you play him.

anyone remember that horizontal clay shooter game?

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
YES! I can't wait! I've never played any of the original games (yet), but I look forward to this one!

The reason why I like the ClayFighter series is the overall premise and the characters themselves! My personal favorite is Bad Mr. Frosty.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
Yes, I hear is hasn't aged well over time, and that there were quite a few bad elements in the series. The Nintendo 64 game looked pretty rushed, but I loved the claymation look, overall.