299: Destined for Middle Earth

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Destined for Middle Earth

One nerdy lawyer from Boston stumbled into the dream of a lifetime: designing quests for Lord of the Rings Online.

Read Full Article

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
ohh It's stories like these that make it seem sooo much easier than it actually must be to get into the Games Industry. Oh well, maybe I too will have that kind of luck? *Fingers crossed*

joes

Oct 15, 2010
GrizzlerBorno said:
ohh It's stories like these that make it seem sooo much easier than it actually must be to get into the Games Industry. Oh well, maybe I too will have that kind of luck? *Fingers crossed*
That's exactly what I was thinking. Maybe after grad school I can randomly apply to a job posting without any professional experience and get hired too...

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
I love this man, though. He's one of the reasons I actually READ the quest dialogues in LotRO rather than just clicking Accept like in every single other MMO ever.

wickedpt

Mar 23, 2009
Dream job..

On Topic, the Epic Quest line in Lotro is on par with the best plots on any Bioware/Bethesda game.

And it's free :)

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
A combination of skill, drive, and yes, luck to land a desired job.

I'm not going to lie. I couldn't do this. I'm absolutely horrible at learning languages. My English is terrible, and you add in any other language, and it gets worse.

Narcogen

Rampant.
Jul 26, 2006
I would have enjoyed a reference to Shamus Plays LOTRO here... perhaps a follow-up question on some of the quests covered therein.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Hah, lucky fellow. And yet the game has a it's work cut out for it, so it's not like he's landed on easy street, there's hard work ahead. I wish him the best of luck or maybe, wish him that his luck should continue.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Kwil said:
GrizzlerBorno said:
Yeah.. all it took this guy was 8 yrs of post-secondary, a couple years doing what I assume was mostly boring as hell copyright and contract law at a book company, while in the meantime finding a wife who not only put up with the guys geeky habits but was supportive enough to point out a job opportunity that very likely paid less and was out of his certified skill-set because she knew he'd like it, and he'd been spending so much time training himself (on both game design and the material in question) in his spare time.

Yeah.. that sounds easy.. sure it does. ...

Heh. I get your point though, it kind of glosses over the harder parts.
I'd honestly like to know if Turbine would have even looked twice at his work if he'd just been a fresh-out-of-college student, or a non-graduate, and produced *exactly the same content*, rather than being a degreed lawyer who'd spent years in a publishing house.

Companies generally seem to value a degree and previous job seniority infinitely more than they value the things which produce good products and content, like demonstrated talent.

leviticusd

Mar 19, 2009
RvLeshrac said:
I'd honestly like to know if Turbine would have even looked twice at his work if he'd just been a fresh-out-of-college student, or a non-graduate, and produced *exactly the same content*, rather than being a degreed lawyer who'd spent years in a publishing house.

Companies generally seem to value a degree and previous job seniority infinitely more than they value the things which produce good products and content, like demonstrated talent.
As someone who has done quite a bit of interviewing, yeah degree and previous job experience does mean a lot. Demonstrating talent usually isn't enough for me. I've hired some young inexperienced people before based off the talent they showed and they often times turned out to be mistakes. They were smart and talented...when they worked...which unfortunately wasn't very often or didn't get along well with others or some other issue that detracts from the talent they demonstrated.

Seeing someone who has put the work and years into getting through college and hold down a job for a few years goes along way. That's not to say they can't still be duds or you would take with with no real demonstrated knowledge/talent just because they have a degree, but I would take a proven worker with slightly less talent than a greenie with "potential" any day of the week.

[On-Topic] I've been playing this game since beta and even with the silly Shire (as Shamus made hilariously clear on this site) it's one of the most engaging MMO's I've been a part of. They take that great attitude to the forums as well which is nice. Elbow licking and handstand challenges in the office get shared with the forum....and there's always the Ghost Bear! :)

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Greg Tito said:
One nerdy lawyer from Boston stumbled into the dream of a lifetime: designing quests for Lord of the Rings Online.
Given the long hours, culture of unpaid work and general drudgery of the computer game industry, I must say I don't envy him. I hope he enjoys his lack of free time, but I'm glad he's not me.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
leviticusd said:
RvLeshrac said:

As someone who has done quite a bit of interviewing, yeah degree and previous job experience does mean a lot. Demonstrating talent usually isn't enough for me. I've hired some young inexperienced people before based off the talent they showed and they often times turned out to be mistakes. They were smart and talented...when they worked...which unfortunately wasn't very often or didn't get along well with others or some other issue that detracts from the talent they demonstrated.

Seeing someone who has put the work and years into getting through college and hold down a job for a few years goes along way. That's not to say they can't still be duds or you would take with with no real demonstrated knowledge/talent just because they have a degree, but I would take a proven worker with slightly less talent than a greenie with "potential" any day of the week.

[On-Topic] I've been playing this game since beta and even with the silly Shire (as Shamus made hilariously clear on this site) it's one of the most engaging MMO's I've been a part of. They take that great attitude to the forums as well which is nice. Elbow licking and handstand challenges in the office get shared with the forum....and there's always the Ghost Bear! :)
That's exactly my point. The paper doesn't necessarily mean anything, I've seen plenty of individuals who didn't even have the most tenuous grasp on the subject of their degree, and nor does the prior work.

There were, after all, plenty of dot-coms where a "working day" consisted primarily of playing foosball next to the open bar.

If you take chances, sure, you'll be stung - but if you don't, neither you nor the company will do anything great. Just look at all the century-old companies today who haven't actually produced anything truly innovative in 30+ years.

What I *will* credit Turbine for is giving a non-industry-type the benefit of the doubt.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
wow! that is pretty bamf
my studies aren't directly taking me anywhere near game development, but hey you never know if the door will open (altho being out of work in the first hand can be a tough break :[ just sayin)

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Incredibly inspiring! Proof that doing what you want to do in life, and enjoying life like you want it is a good way to go! I remember that being a Lawyer is a good thing when applying for writing positions - I checked once, few years ago, and Biowares writers were also Lawyers before. Does that mean Lawyers write great fiction? I'll leave you with this funny question.

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
Don't forget that Bioware's founders were doctors, too! :) I love this game and its writing though...