2DS xl Annouced.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
In a strange turn of events, Nintendo forgot April fool's day was 4 weeks ago and are announcing the 2DS XL. I guess they're doing a Victory lap, since they won the handheld war for this generation.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
Neat I guess.
All I can say is that they should've made this thing way earlier and gone with the non "XL" sizing so it would be somewhat cheaper and be compatible with those cover plates they seem so reluctant to produce.

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
Semi-DemiFiend said:
Neat I guess.
All I can say is that they should've made this thing way earlier and gone with the non "XL" sizing so it would be somewhat cheaper and be compatible with those cover plates they seem so reluctant to produce.
There are moments when I can't tell if Nintendo makes things in short supply to build up hype or if they're just being stupid. Case and point the New 3ds Face plates, since scalpers bought all of them and some of them go for 300 dollars ebay.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
I mean, I've been wanting a new3ds, but while the 3D is a neat gimmick I can live without it, so win for me?

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
altnameJag said:
I mean, I've been wanting a new3ds, but while the 3D is a neat gimmick I can live without it, so win for me?
If its like the gameboy mirco it dropped the backwards compatibility with the DS.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
kilenem said:
altnameJag said:
If its like the gameboy mirco it dropped the backwards compatibility with the DS.
Accoding to Gamespot, DS compatibility is still in.

Though if they dropped that and added an HDMI, I wouldn't complain.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
My local retailer has preordering available. Only $200AU. $40 cheaper than the 3DS. I honestly don't know why this is a new thing. I wanted to get the 2DS, but not being able to fold it up to protect the screen was what turned me off.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I don't understand why they put the clamshell feature back in for the 2DS XL. I thought the idea of the original 2DS was to not do that to increase durability for kids? Now we're just back to it again. Weird

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Is this the marketing equivalent of "stop hitting yourself" for Nintendo? Dude, 90% of the Switch's marketing is "it's a handheld!". Stop sabotaging your own products.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
008Zulu said:
My local retailer has preordering available. Only $200AU. $40 cheaper than the 3DS.
Over in the UK, Game says ?133. This is about ?40-?50 cheaper than the New 3DS XL, which appears to be the only production model of the 3DS left.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Elvis Starburst said:
Now we're just back to it again. Weird
With how many people ridicule the decision for the 2DS design, I don't see it weird that they go back to the clamshell.

I just hope that the hinges are as strong as the New3DS.

Johnny Novgorod said:
Stop sabotaging your own products.
As long as it's getting it's own games, it's not sabotaging itself. Of course the line up of games for the switch is still limited, but as long as I can't play Switch games on my 3DS, this will not sabotage the Switch or 3DS.

The only titles that will really break the status quo is a Monster Hunter and pokemon Title finally released for the Switch.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Kaimax said:
The only titles that will really break the status quo is a Monster Hunter and pokemon Title finally released for the Switch.
I don't see Pokemon on the Switch, at least not in its current iteration - a small, pixely, top-down mobile game. If they finally went with a "proper" 3D world ala Breath of the Wild, sure. That looks good if you blow it up on TV. But considering Nintendo's baby-step stance on the evolution of the Pokemon franchise (they've done little but throw in more colors and animations since Gold/Silver), I don't think the next Pokemon game would look good on a TV, therefore it probably would crop up in a handheld-only system.

Sep 14, 2009
holy shit, the one nintendo system in the past decade that I might actually get now. that fucking brick 2DS they were trying to sell before was not appealing, thank you for finally giving it the clamshell design.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
ShoobieDoobie said:
So it's just a 3DSXL with the 3D turned off?

LAME
Funny thing is that there are some 3DS games that don't even HAVE 3D as a feature.

My friend was showing me the new Pokemon game, and I asked him how the 3D looked. He's actually never tried it (doesn't actually like the 3D features of the 3DS), so he flipped the switch and it did nothing.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Could've made the switch eat 3ds cartridges but I guess that just makes too much sense.
Now nintendo is competing with itself in the flipping handheld market of all things, the 1 thing they got an iron grip on.