2K Games Finally Announces The Darkness Sequel

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
My reaction:
I loved The Darkness. It was well written, fun, generally creepy, and with a few really great moments. Definitely stood out among some of the more generic FPSes. Still, I didn't think it was very open to a sequel, but neither was Bioshock, and they still made one. This could be a bad omen, but I don't know enough about the new one to judge. Still, if the new one is at least as fun as it's predecessor, it's still worth picking up. I loved just running around doing stupid things due to the slightly sandbox-esque nature. For example:
I was walking down the street, and a guy walked past. He suddenly pulled a revolver on me, and yelled "Stick em' up, *****!" to which I replied in real life "Okay.", and used the tentacle power on him, lifting his still alive but horrified body into the air. I slammed him into a flaming barrel, upon whence he caught fire, still barely alive. As a finale, I threw him into the air and blasted him with a shotgun, which ended perfectly as his still burning ragdoll body landed across a flag pole.
Damn, I'm a sicko, but he was a mugger, he probably deserved it.

JayDub147

Jun 13, 2009
Honestly, I thought the game was ripe for a sequel.

After Jackie gets consumed, Jenny tells him it's time to "wake up." I'm pumped to find out exactly what Jackie had been up to in his delirious, Mike Patton-controlled, raging rampage. I imagined him waking up surrounded by a sea of bodies. Now we get to find out.

So, anybody think we'll see Angelus in this one?

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
CD-R said:
Diablo2000 said:
The Darkness is Image Comics, is not?
I was taught to always distrust everything that come for Image... So... The Darkness is really good?
The Walking Dead is also an Image comic. Not every comic they've published is bad. The game is good. I don't know about the comic.
It's hit or miss a lot of the time. The original issues of The Darkness were written by Garth Ennis and were smart, violent, and filled with a lot of black humor. It went downhill pretty quickly after that, but I've heard it's gotten a lot better over the past few years.

DktrAgonizer

Jun 7, 2010
Oh man, I'm so excited for this. I love the first game and hearing rumors everywhere about the sequel made me really wish for one. So glad to see it's finally going to be done!

Now, time to break out the first game again and refresh the memory.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
As long as they tighten up the level design (I often got lost in The Darkness and I REFUSE TO BELIEVE IT'S BECAUSE I'M RETARDED), and keep everything else - improve the graphics as everyone does for sequels - this could be a sleeper hit like the first one was. I'm excited.

Ekim Takusan

Nov 13, 2010
Wow, what a great thing to see first thing when I log onto The Escapist's website. I have been a HUGE fan of The Darkness since I read the very first comic. Jackie just always had this wonderful balance about him that made me like him. He was a VERY bad kinda guy that did some terribly gruesome things to the people that crossed him, yet he always had a kind and pure heart. He tried his best to do right by people and uphold a code of honor. He also tried to shield those he cared for and to protect them from harm. In the end he couldn't and this amounts to also adding the tragic avenger role to him as well.

The first game did it's best when it came to handling Jackie's powers (not an easy task when the powers in question are the primordial force behind all things dark and chaotic and are limited only by the vessel's sense of imagination) and I can only see good things coming our way in a sequel.

I for one was sold with the words "Quad Wield" but I can only hope they introduce the other fan favorites from The Darkness series like one of the incarnations of the Angelus (Immortal adversary of the Darkness), the Magdalena, the Witchblade wielder, (Sara please, but Danielle would work too) and maybe even Sonatine and his Brotherhood. Let's face it the first game got a bit old with only the three major enemy types of cops, mobsters, and undead nazis. There was no real badass super enemies to throw a challenge at us.

It may sound nuts but with all the back list of allies/enemies there's enough fodder to make at least two or maybe even three more games. *HINT HINT WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE*

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
About time, the Darkness was just an excellent game, story, gameplay and all. A little inconsistent, maybe, but good enough to make that a non-issue. It's still one of my favourite FPSs.

I'm a little worried about the new developer though. I didn't particularly care for any of those mentioned games (not that they were bad), and they've got big shoes to fill.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
JayDub147 said:
Honestly, I thought the game was ripe for a sequel.

After Jackie gets consumed, Jenny tells him it's time to "wake up." I'm pumped to find out exactly what Jackie had been up to in his delirious, Mike Patton-controlled, raging rampage. I imagined him waking up surrounded by a sea of bodies. Now we get to find out.

So, anybody think we'll see Angelus in this one?
.....Must resist Drakengard joke, Must resist...drakengard..joke.

MattRooney06

Apr 15, 2009
YAY!

hopefulkly we can be a bit more freeform with the darkness in this game...cause in the first game's cutscenes the darkness was letting you climb all over walls and cool stuff like that

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Owww... My wallet... It already knows I'm getting this first day.

Ok, this was the final thing I needed to declare 2011 as one of the best years in gaming for awhile.

Bonaggy

Sep 10, 2008
Now, if only us poor peasabt pc gamers could be given the gift of the first game to play alongside the second, I'd be doubly chuffed!

genamp

Nov 18, 2010
LawlessSquirrel said:
About time, the Darkness was just an excellent game, story, gameplay and all. A little inconsistent, maybe, but good enough to make that a non-issue. It's still one of my favourite FPSs.

I'm a little worried about the new developer though. I didn't particularly care for any of those mentioned games (not that they were bad), and they've got big shoes to fill.
I agree for the first part, but... Pariah WAS bad. No, it was beyond bad. It was terrible, insipid, and unfinished. Just annoying...
That being said, I think that if they emulate the style of the comics and expand upon the substance of the original, we will have a winner worthy of calling itself The Darkness 2.

And my fingers are crossed for the Angelus! Maybe even throw in Jackie's twin sis too. C'mon, Digital... It'll be "extremely" bad if you screw this up.

Revenge Revisited

The Doctor Called Me Special! :D
Dec 2, 2009
*SQUEEEEEE!!!* YES!! The Darkness 2! Finally! I just hope the new company doesn't totally mess it up. *Glares at copies of Dark Sector and BioShock 2*

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I loved The Darkness. I think it was my first Xbox 360 game. I am sad to hear that Starbreeze won't be doing the sequel as I really felt they had a solid grasp of the look and feel of the world.

Hopefully they will have better Multi-player in The Darkness 2. Every now and then I throw the original in just to see if anyone is playing it online so I can get those damn MP achievements.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I was just thinking yesterday how unfortunate it is that The Darkness won't get a sequel because I loved it so much. And now! Lo and behold! The Darkness 2! I'm pumped for this! I'm not sure how I feel about the new art style, but I just want to use my Darkness powers again. I hope they do some more with the WWI Darkness levels.