2K: Streaming Bioshock: The Collection on Consoles "Isn't an Option Right Now"

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
2K: Streaming Bioshock: The Collection on Consoles "Isn't an Option Right Now"

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1349/1349853.jpgBioshock: The Collection isn't streamable on consoles, and 2K hasn't said why.

Bioshock: The Collection launched on Tuesday, and if you picked up a copy and tried to stream it from your PS4 or Xbox One, you quickly found that you couldn't. We've seen games block the streaming of impactful cutscenes in the past, but I've never heard of blocking an entire game.

It's even worse because this isn't a new game, but a remaster of a trilogy that's been available for years. People who are watching streams of Bioshock: The Collection are probably doing so to see just how good the remaster looks before they throw down the cash to buy it themselves. It's not like the majority of them don't know all the twists already.

There's a post [http://support.2k.com/hc/en-us/articles/227187228-Help-I-Can-t-Stream-BioShock-The-Collection] on the 2K support site that addresses the issue. It reads, "Unfortunately, streaming BioShock: The Collection isn't an option right now. We will update this article should this situation change."

Obviously, this is unfortunate, and there's no way to know if or when this might get resolved. We've reached out to 2K to see if they can offer more information, and we will update this post with any reply we receive. Until then, you'll have to use capture card software if you want to stream Bioshock: The Collection on console.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Constants and variables. There's always a console, there's always a remastering, and there's always a producer fucking everything up.

Nov 28, 2007
And yet, somehow, those technical limitations seem to only work in one direction, as streaming from the Internet to the consoles works just fine over Playstation Now.

Magusomnius

Sep 15, 2016
I am able to stream Borderlands and other games just fine. Only some specific games are being blocked but just usually cutscenes, The entire game from the menus on is blocked entirely.

ArkhamJester

Sep 30, 2010
Yep totally not an option, unless you use an el gato, Hauppauge or any of the other streaming devices that bypasss such restrictions.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
thebobmaster said:
And yet, somehow, those technical limitations seem to only work in one direction, as streaming from the Internet to the consoles works just fine over Playstation Now.
Its not a technical limitation, they've just toggled the "Gameplay has stopped recording option" for the entire game/

In my own experience, I've only seen that toggled for stuff involving licensed music. Entrances in the WWE games and while playing songs in Rock Band (actually only blocks the music)/Rocksmith.

Unless they had it toggled on in some weird effort to enforce an embargo or stop leaks (which is silly, because it would be bypassedvia any actual capture hardware) and forgot to patch it back off for release, they very definitely are trying to stop people streaming the game for some reason.

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Ha sucks for them I dont use the PS4 streaming stuff I got a capture card to bad tho I already own the games on PC xD

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Remastering games tends to increase demands on the CPU. Streaming software also places demands on the CPU. It is likely that the consoles are unable to accommodate both requests without being detrimental to both.

Vern

Sep 19, 2008
Seems they just don't want people to realize they didn't really do anything with the remasters. Slightly higher resolution textures, which was really just not filtering the textures down through mip-mapping... and I would like to say some 'improved' lighting effects, although now certain lights cause giant black bars to flicker on my screen.

I can't complain really, I got it for free since I already had the original PC versions, but it sucks for console players that have to pay for it. They're good games, but since virtually nothing has been done to 1 & 2, and absolutely nothing was done to Infinite, it seems like kind of a dick move to charge $60 for them.