2K: XCOM's Tactical Shooter Shall Evolve

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
2K: XCOM's Tactical Shooter Shall Evolve

Gills? A tail? ALIENS! SHOOT IT! SHOOT IT NOW!

Still no word on exactly what it will evolve into - not even a confirm on that Bureau business - but 2K has announced that its XCOM tactical shooter is still in development, despite appearances [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123275-Troubled-XCOM-Shooters-Website-Disappears].

"2K's culture allows our studios the freedom to refine their visions," says 2K in a blog post, "to explore new ideas, and to deliver the best possible experiences for players." The announcement confirms that the folks at 2K Marin have been refining their fingers to the bone, to deliver a "high-stakes narrative experience" that will result in "evolution" for the title.

Feel free to imagine what that evolution might have resulted in. Extra eyes, gills, opposable kidneys; anything could happen, and quite probably will. However at the moment all that can be said is that yes, there is a tactical squad-based shooter, and yes, it does fall under the XCOM umbrella. More than that is impossible to determine at this stage.

Source: 2K Games [http://www.2kgames.com/blog/2k-marin-s-redacted-is-coming-soon]

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
So, I'm going to say it'll be Rainbow Six with aliens, laser guns and psyonic mind powers based on how I'm reading the description. I am not displeased with this mental imagery.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
As long as the original gameplay style keeps getting a game of its own from time to time I dont mind this, if they take the best of XCOM (random scenarios, evolving science and technology, etc) into a Tactical FPS it can be a nice game. XCOM has a lot of replay value because of the way its structured and a shooter with that kind of replayability would also be nice

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
Fayathon said:
So, I'm going to say it'll be Rainbow Six with aliens, laser guns and psyonic mind powers based on how I'm reading the description. I am not displeased with this mental imagery.
That was kind of what they was showing originally anyway.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Karloff said:
"2K's culture allows our studios the freedom to refine their visions," says 2K in a blog post, "to explore new ideas, and to deliver the best possible experiences for players." The announcement confirms that the folks at 2K Marin have been refining their fingers to the bone, to deliver a "high-stakes narrative experience" that will result in "evolution" for the title.
Is it kinda sad that the thoughts that went through my head when I read this were "Hey, I actually believe them this time." Considering that 2k published Spec Ops the Line, Enemy Unknown, Bioshock, and Borderlands, I honestly buy that 2k gives their developers creative freedom. If only more publishers were better about this.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
MDSnowman said:
Can we just get an XCOM Enemy Unknown sequel?
Well they've been working on this game for awhile. It'd be a waste of money if they just binned it. But considering that Enemy Unknown was a commercial and critical success, I imagine that a sequel will come out before too long.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Just call it Xcom - The Bureau. So we know its part of the game world but a different take on it. The thing about the game i disliked were the aliens, black sludge and rock tablets are not my idea of good enemies. I prefer the xcom aliens, flesh and blood creatures you can fight. I dont know if there are any other types of enemies int the bureau game, dont mind if the goo is one type. But from the old trailer/walkthrough, the aliens didnt grab me at all.

Although, saying that. I did like the style and the setting. It was like a prequel to the original X-Com game. But i think they need to go cheesy with the aliens if its set in that time period.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
"shit, guys, looks like the fanbase isn't waiting for a linear shoot-em-up."
"What? but we had the statistics and everything, David even brought a diagram!"
David: "yeah!"
"Screw that, the Enemy Unknown team raised the bar, we can't show up with this crap, let's do it over!"

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Fayathon said:

Speaking of which, what happened to Rainbow Six 6? The new one that was supposed to come out?

OT: I don't see why a shooter is a bad thing, as long as they can emulate the universe in a correct manner.
Rainbow Six Patriots? Eh, no idea. It suddenly vanished from the sight. I think they're still working on it. I hope so because if it has terrorist hunt...

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Probably a sign of a complete or partial redesign. Hopefully the end result will still look interesting.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Well, an XCOM game not called XCOM? I can live with that just as much as I could live with it being called XCOM (unlike most of the nostalgia-blinded fanboys).

MDSnowman said:
Can we just get an XCOM Enemy Unknown sequel?
Maybe - but that's not in the hands of 2k Marin. They have nothing to do with THAT.
Or are you now asking the folks at Treyarch for a Half-Life sequel. Or Nintendo for an Uncharted 4?

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
As the only living soul who liked XCOM Interceptor I think the XCOM formula can work fine for a shooter. However different between XCOM EU and the old one is that in EU agents are so valuable you can't afford to lose more than a few early on. And if the AI is controlling your partners you can't really play tactically, just work around the AI dumbness.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
So, it's gonna carry the XCOM name after all? Well, if they add "The Bureau" as a suffix, I'm totally fine with that. It's not the first franchise to ever host a spinoff, and it won't be the last.

I'm actually very interested in what we'll end up with here.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Combustion Kevin said:
"shit, guys, looks like the fanbase isn't waiting for a linear shoot-em-up."
"What? but we had the statistics and everything, David even brought a diagram!"
David: "yeah!"
"Screw that, the Enemy Unknown team raised the bar, we can't show up with this crap, let's do it over!"
Damn it David, get your shit together.

OT: I can live with an XCOM shooter, if it's actually good. The footage of the XCOM shooter last year was just all manner of terrible.

The enemies were incredibly boring (imagine glimpsing a Sectoid down a dark alley before it scuttles away, and compare it to the...things in the footage), the game was a boring linear shooter (go here, cover, shoot them all, go here, cover, shoot them all), the dialogue had more cliches than an 80s action movie, and...I could go on, probably, but even removing it from the XCOM universe, it was still a generic game and a bore to watch.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Another redesign, after 6 years already in development and exchanging many devs... these sort of "dust bin parts and glue" projects never ever end well.

And the XCOM name is back so the amount of stupid is not really dropping.