2K: XCOM's Tactical Shooter Shall Evolve

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
As long as they continue with the reborn Turn-Based Strategy X-COM in parallel, I don't give a flying fuck what they do with this. And that was probably their goal. Appease the original fans first after all that rage and cries of BETRAYAL... then do the shooter anyway.

I tell ya what, if this shooter operated like the real X-Com in having to build and manage your bases and equipment but then go into battle with FPS gameplay, that would be pretty interesting actually... and that's coming from someone that doesn't like shooters.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
Oh God, nooooo. Before I get spammed with hate mail/banned, I'm going to say that the XCOM shooter looked interesting from what I saw of it. The biggest/only apparent problem was that it had the XCOM label attached to it, when it should have very much been a new IP instead. However, given the success of XCOM:EU, I'm worried that now, instead of morphing the XCOM franchise to fit a Mass Effecty FPS, it seems they're morphing a Mass Effecty FPS to fir the XCOM mold, which is essentially jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Protip: JUST MAKE IT A GODDAMN NEW INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY!!

It's not that hard.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Hopefully it'll evolve into some kind of snake-man, as I feel 2K is in danger of dropping behind on it's snakeman quota.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Fayathon said:
So, I'm going to say it'll be Rainbow Six with aliens, laser guns and psyonic mind powers based on how I'm reading the description. I am not displeased with this mental imagery.
Yes. That would actually be quite awesome. Reviving an old style of gameplay that has basically died out whilst also making a kick ass X-com themed game. I do not see things wrong with this.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
With the earlier focus on the 50s - 60s era, they're really missing out by not simply calling it Bluebook (or operation bluebook)

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
thiosk said:
With the earlier focus on the 50s - 60s era, they're really missing out by not simply calling it Bluebook (or operation bluebook)
I think to use the name Blue Book you have to have some stern looking USAF senior officers come and look over your development... just to make sure you don't include anything they really found implicate the USAF in any cover up conspiracies.

[sub]also the nice Captain sticking the pistol in my ear would like me to remind you it was Project Blue Book not 'Operation' Blue Book[/sub]

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
RhombusHatesYou said:
[sub]also the nice Captain sticking the pistol in my ear would like me to remind you it was Project Blue Book not 'Operation' Blue Book[/sub]
Project Bluebook led directly to Operation bluebook, which involved coverbased shooting and RPG elements.

This is, of course, covered up and excised from the history books.
Not even "Ancient Aliens" has the scoop on this one.

Bonecrusher

Nov 20, 2009
I am a big fan (played that game over and over and over in 1994-1995) of X-Com: UFO Defense/UFO: Enemy Unknown game, but still very excited to play this game.
Yes, I know, majority of gamers threat this game as "EVIL INCERNATE!" and the new XCOM: Enemy Unkown as "The Chosen One", but I don't agree on this ideology.

New XCOM: Enemy Unkown was not "that" great. It was a good game, yes, but had many many many flawes on gameplay. Developers of the game, and XCOM official forum community were obsessed on "how cool the hardness of the game", but neglect other areas and shortcomings. UFO: Aftermath/Aftershock/Afterlight series was interesting sequel towards UFO: Enemy Unkown game, but sadly they are not that popular especially because they are not AAA games. XCOM: Enemy Unkown had cool graphics, but couldn't benefit from the advantages and good parts of "UFO Trilogy")

I am more interested on this XCOM Tactical Shooter. The game is still not available, however continuously Evolving more and more. OK I admit, I also bored from current FPS frenzy, there are tons of boring copy-paste FPS games. However, If they can do what they promised, this game can be a classic (IF they can).
Footages of this game reminds me my days of System Shock, Thief and Undying.
System Shock 1-2 was a PC classic, but sadly new Bioshock games (alleged "spiritual successor), continously lessening the atmosphere/story and increasing the hack/slash routine. Yes yes, I know Bioshock Infinite become the crazed mega hit of this year. But it is still weak compared to System Shock 1-2, and just another console shooter.

This game can close that gap (again, IF they can), this game promises mystery, adventure, thrill, investigation and exploration. If they do it right, and not turn it another cliche console shooter, this game will have the atmosphere of System Shock, Thief and Undying games.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
Will we still be hunting black tar blobs and geometry?
Geometry is a terrifying force, but it doesn't come close to the evils of calculus. DAMN YOU CALCULUS!

On topic, I was interested in this game when they first announced it a few years ago. I was mostly intrigued by the art style and 50's theme. I never heard of xcom before so I didn't (and still don't) give a shit if they "defiled the series". So long as they keep the look of the gam and it doesn't turn out to be shit I'll stay interested.

Another thing to note, others were asking if it kept the xcom play style in terms of managing resources and making weapons and what not. From what I remember it did and you were able to build and research weapons and that kind of thing and you had to organize your missions because you could be attacked by aliens st any time or something (I read it years ago. take it with a grain of salt)

The Five Freedoms

Jan 16, 2013
You mean they're still developing this? I thought that they scrapped it.

They should really just drop it altogether and focus on a sequel to XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Those tar blobs remind me of the things from Thomas Was Alone more than anything else. Now there is a strange cross over/spin off game.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Subtracting all the useless buzzwords, all I got from this is:

"2k: We're developing something for an X-COM shooter."

*shrugs* Uh, OK then.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
so, they will twist it's head several time until it pop off and glue another head on that game. sure, it will live...

i think the majority of the complain was that people was afraid that they would turn xcom into a fps that would sell not that well and that the xcom franchise would go into the drain with it. now that we have Xcom : EU alive and kicking, most people would be fine with the original game, since it would be seen as a spin off now...

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
This is the only question that needs answering as far as I'm concerned. They looked interesting damn it! The minimalism was very appealing compared to the over-detail that many enemies have in videogames.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
MDSnowman said:
Can we just get an XCOM Enemy Unknown sequel?
That's been pretty much confirmed.

However, unless 2k's executives are getting their water supply from lead pipes, the Enemy Unknown sequel will be developed by Firaxis, while XCOM is being developed by 2k Marin.