3 Things Skyrim Players Need to Know About ESO

WMDogma

New member
Jul 28, 2009
1,374
0
0
3 Things Skyrim Players Need to Know About ESO

If you're hoping that The Elder Scrolls Online is just like Skyrim, there's some big differences you should know about.

Read Full Article
 

Ukomba

New member
Oct 14, 2010
1,528
0
0
Sounds like it should have gone more star wars galaxies than star wars the old Republic.
 

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
6,732
0
0
So... you're saying it's an MMO... like any other MMO... and not at all like an Elder Scrolls game... pretty much what I expected so I more than likely won't be playing it, I just hope that if it fails it doesn't impact the quality/time frame of Fallout 4 and The Elder Scrolls 6.
 

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
1,064
0
0
PedroSteckecilo said:
So... you're saying it's an MMO... like any other MMO... and not at all like an Elder Scrolls game... pretty much what I expected so I more than likely won't be playing it, I just hope that if it fails it doesn't impact the quality/time frame of Fallout 4 and The Elder Scrolls 6.
Except that it is a lot more like Skyrim than it is like WoW...

It's just not quite Skyrim 2.0.
 

The Apple BOOM

New member
Nov 16, 2012
169
0
0
Why do they cling to old and tired MMO tropes when many modern MMO's have already shown that they aren't necessary?
 

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
885
0
0
Why just mention Skyrim? Why no mention of similarities to previous TES games?
 

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
1,698
0
0
PedroSteckecilo said:
So... you're saying it's an MMO... like any other MMO... and not at all like an Elder Scrolls game... pretty much what I expected so I more than likely won't be playing it, I just hope that if it fails it doesn't impact the quality/time frame of Fallout 4 and The Elder Scrolls 6.
Actually he didn't say that at all. But you're inclined to see it however you like.
 

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
2,093
0
0
ShakerSilver said:
Why just mention Skyrim? Why no mention of similarities to previous TES games?
It's possible that a large portion of Skyrim's fanbase had never played an Elder Scrolls game before. There's a good chance that there are plenty of people who would purchase TESO simply based on the fact that they enjoyed Skyrim. This is a gentle warning to those people I guess.

I'm in two minds whether or not I want this. On one hand I really enjoy the worlds and lore of TES but on the other hand I've never really liked any MMO. I think I'll wait this one out.
 

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
2,095
0
0
PedroSteckecilo said:
I just hope that if it fails it doesn't impact the quality/time frame of Fallout 4 and The Elder Scrolls 6.
It won't. Completely different developers. Published by Bethesda, but developed by Zenimax Online Studios.

Honestly, it sounds quite similar to Guild Wars 2... I think? I only started playing GW2 fairly recently, so maybe I'm not best placed to judge.
 

WMDogma

New member
Jul 28, 2009
1,374
0
0
Proverbial Jon said:
ShakerSilver said:
Why just mention Skyrim? Why no mention of similarities to previous TES games?
It's possible that a large portion of Skyrim's fanbase had never played an Elder Scrolls game before. There's a good chance that there are plenty of people who would purchase TESO simply based on the fact that they enjoyed Skyrim. This is a gentle warning to those people I guess.

I'm in two minds whether or not I want this. On one hand I really enjoy the worlds and lore of TES but on the other hand I've never really liked any MMO. I think I'll wait this one out.
Don't go into TESO expecting a TES game. 'cuz it's really not a TES game at all. Go into it for other reasons.
 

WMDogma

New member
Jul 28, 2009
1,374
0
0
The one thing it has in common with Skyrim is the lack of beast legs. This shouldn't be the case for an MMO. They've had plenty of time to make it happen, but ultimately failed.
WoW managed it 10 years ago, and it wasn't a one-off thing either. They managed it for all races that had different looks. Ie, Tauren, Troll, Drenei, Worgen, and Pandaren all have proper feet. Hell, they managed it for every expansion that added new races.

I can't see how the only 2 races needing beast legs in the entire lore for an MMO, with no chance that future expansions will add more races, will still have human feet.
I'd stomach this if it was a single-player experience with limited resources that has the option of modding them in, but not a big-budget MMO.
 

Hawkeye21

New member
Oct 25, 2011
249
0
0
I was actually playing beta right now. So far after 6 hours the only thing I liked was character creator. The rest feels more empty and meaningless... No, that doesn't reflect the reality of ESO. You now how in Skyrim you could be Archmage, Guildmaster of Thieves and leader of Companions, and nobody gives a flying fuck? It's like this, but times five hundred. NPCs keep telling you how special you are, but that becomes hard to believe when there are hundreds of carbon copies of you running around. And they are all special. Everyone is special in ESO.
 

ZippyDSMlee

New member
Sep 1, 2007
3,959
0
0
Trying to be as general as I can be to hide from the wrath of lawyers :p

I?m not easily enthralled by MMOs and tend to hate the core elements of MMO games. The one thing I do really like is the story elements and the way it plays out feel more like a single player game than a MMO. So I been playing the ESO beta I?m not very satisfied with their class system and complete overhaul of the spell system. Basically you can still be a dual wielding axe mage or a magic casting warrior but there are issues which make the magic casting warrior pointless. So I have been a mage,dragon knight and an assassin/thief , my only real complaint to combat has been auto aim.


The world is big enough and looks good and there are plenty of quests I?m just annoyed it has lvl reqs(which is almost a req for an MMO) which always piss me off and I cannot build how I want like in Champions online frankly it?s only saving grace is you can build your own unique character selecting any power/ability as long as you have the reqs for it (which require you to have X number power/abilities) tho you can only do that via subscription(cheap time cards FTW).


I been thinking and they would have been better off using skyrim/oblivion and just set the scale of skills from 100 to 1000 or 10000. And attributes can be raised anyway you want just you get to do it 3 or 5 times longer. Then have no level cap offer delving services for a fee so you can play through expansions without being too over powered. PVP would be open only when you log in you can select if you want to be part of PVP if not you are immune to PVP attacks outside arenas. PVP gear would be based on whoever is killed equipment. Dups of their equipment will be randomly generated based on the items worth and the winner?s stats all those who fought IE did damage whoever was killed will get a chance at looting. An optional 2nd tier of PVP mode will make it so the equipment is not duped rather it?s just randomly generated based on the winners stats IE what you might find and remove from a normal corpse only it is removed from the losers inventory. Players can band together to buy homes, castles, ect and make them their guild headquarters,ect. Just some thoughts.
 

Niccolo

New member
Dec 15, 2007
274
0
0
Really Offensive Name said:
The one thing it has in common with Skyrim is the lack of beast legs. This shouldn't be the case for an MMO. They've had plenty of time to make it happen, but ultimately failed.
WoW managed it 10 years ago, and it wasn't a one-off thing either. They managed it for all races that had different looks. Ie, Tauren, Troll, Drenei, Worgen, and Pandaren all have proper feet. Hell, they managed it for every expansion that added new races.

I can't see how the only 2 races needing beast legs in the entire lore for an MMO, with no chance that future expansions will add more races, will still have human feet.
I'd stomach this if it was a single-player experience with limited resources that has the option of modding them in, but not a big-budget MMO.
How much Elder Scrolls lore do you know? Khajiit come in a bunch of different flavours, ranging from almost housecats through to what is basically a catgirl and I'm not lying. Some are digitigrade, some are plantigrade. Same deal with argonians, except they range from lizard people to nearly crocodiles.

Seriously, read the lore. It gets weirder than that. Trees, moons, it's seriously bizarre.
 

WMDogma

New member
Jul 28, 2009
1,374
0
0
Niccolo said:
Really Offensive Name said:
How much Elder Scrolls lore do you know? Khajiit come in a bunch of different flavours, ranging from almost housecats through to what is basically a catgirl and I'm not lying. Some are digitigrade, some are plantigrade. Same deal with argonians, except they range from lizard people to nearly crocodiles.

Seriously, read the lore. It gets weirder than that. Trees, moons, it's seriously bizarre.
I have actually, not very far into it, but enough to see Bethesda's excuse for why they have human feet. Which, as I have said, I can understand, tolerate, and get behind for a single-player game. Not a full-blown MMO.

I don't see why they feel the need to hide behind the lore, and not copy WoW's technique of using ankle bracelets instead of boots. Has Blizzard patented that or something?
 

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 2, 2020
2,024
54
53
Country
USA
The Environment is More Static

The first major difference between the The Elder Scrolls Online and Skyrim is the game world itself. One of the highlights of Skyrim was that it featured a huge open world to explore, and you could wander into all manner of quests, encounters and other shenanigans just by going for a brief stroll from one village to the next. Unfortunately, technical limitations most likely prevent TESO from having the same giant sandbox seen in previous Elder Scrolls games, and instead adopts a more linear, story-based approach with a wide variety of different locales instead.
Well, there goes any flagging interest interest I had. If ESO doesn't have this, it doesn't deserve to have the words "Elder Scrolls" in front of it. It's the defining feature of the series. Before anybody says it, I know that most MMOs are like this, but that doesn't excuse it. Off the top of my head I can think of EVE Online and Star Trek Online as two examples of MMOs that allow you to just wander around aimlessly and fall feet first into quests and other random distractions, so it's not as if it's impossible to do. What's worse is the classic Elder Scrolls formula is the perfect formula for an MMO, all they really had to do was basically make Skyrim with other players running around and it would have worked perfectly.
 

Atmos Duality

New member
Mar 3, 2010
8,473
0
0
immortalfrieza said:
The Environment is More Static

The first major difference between the The Elder Scrolls Online and Skyrim is the game world itself. One of the highlights of Skyrim was that it featured a huge open world to explore, and you could wander into all manner of quests, encounters and other shenanigans just by going for a brief stroll from one village to the next. Unfortunately, technical limitations most likely prevent TESO from having the same giant sandbox seen in previous Elder Scrolls games, and instead adopts a more linear, story-based approach with a wide variety of different locales instead.
Well, there goes any flagging interest interest I had. If ESO doesn't have this, it doesn't deserve to have the words "Elder Scrolls" in front of it. It's the defining feature of the series. Before anybody says it, I know that most MMOs are like this, but that doesn't excuse it. Off the top of my head I can think of EVE Online and Star Trek Online as two examples of MMOs that allow you to just wander around aimlessly and fall feet first into quests and other random distractions, so it's not as if it's impossible to do. What's worse is the classic Elder Scrolls formula is the perfect formula for an MMO, all they really had to do was basically make Skyrim with other players running around and it would have worked perfectly.
Just tacking on multiplayer to Skyrim (or any other TES game) isn't feasible because the parts that define the TES experience are system resource-expensive as they are.

I'll spare the technical details where possible, but just due to how the Gamebryo Engine tracks Actors (interactive objects, stuff you can pick up, equip, use, and place) is HORRIBLY inefficient for multiplayer. Hell, it was horribly inefficient for just ONE PLAYER on the PS3.

A different engine entirely was necessary from the start, and with it, most of the things that gives TES its famous "immersion factor" had to be dumbed down or eliminated; A more static environment was an inevitable change.

This is mainly why I never once got my hopes up for a TES MMO. The closest thing in gaming currently is Star Wars Galaxies, but even that handled objects radically differently than any TES game to date.

In short: There's no way to translate TES into an MMO while retaining the full TES experience.
Limited multiplayer, probably, but full on MMO? Not a chance.
 

BlumiereBleck

New member
Dec 11, 2008
5,402
0
0
I am not looking forward to this at all....and this is coming from a Elder Scrolls fan since Morrowind.